DavidInellaFanClub

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2005
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Call me insane, but surely, surrrely, if Essendon thought it was giving up a player who could play a big part in their future in just his 2nd year, the woulda held onto him, despite any off field issues.

I mean, if he was Ben Cousins and had a drug problem, then thats understandable, but it seems like he isn't so tell me why Essendon felt it right to give up one of their priority pick selections from the so called superdraft of 2006?

Good on them. Culture, morale, attitude etc is one of the most important things in a team, you dont want tools contaminating a good environment. People cant, or shouldn't be able to, do and act as they please just because they have talent

Thats fair enough, They gave tom PLENTY of chances, few off-field things now and then, it would be fine if he thought "Hey, as a professional athlete representing Essendon i should probably straighten up and fly right" Insted, after a incident after the B&F+a few during the year,

Tommy wanted a 2 year deal, Insted of the one Essendon offered (which is completely fair due to a young player who to be honest hasnt shown much bar Potential+off-field worries) And thought he could do better elsewhere

Essendon Playingwise and list structure could of used another young inside hardnut, but They took a stand, and in the future if young bombers think they can bend the club over, they might as well look elsewhere to be playing Football.

I actually believe that the one year deal was withdrawn after an incident around the time of the B and F.

EFC have made it clear that they are only interested in players with good character.

Because he was an arrogant tosser.
You dont like a bit of arrogance in a player ?..pfft.

A little off field strife and a bit of arrogance is reason to dump him is it ?

Must be more to it...surely not. Whats footy coming to.

Still reckon he's a good risk/reward pickup for nothing. Amazing how arrogance starts to be called confidence if you;re playing well and they start warming to you.

You dont like a bit of arrogance in a player ?..pfft.

A little off field strife and a bit of arrogance is reason to dump him is it ?

Must be more to it...surely not. Whats footy coming to.

Still reckon he's a good risk/reward pickup for nothing. Amazing how arrogance starts to be called confidence if you;re playing well and they start warming to you.

He's not that good and with Cousins at the Tigers, plus guys like Thomson, Polo, King, JOK etc all battling for that 'replace when injured' midfield spot Hislop will be short odds to be delisted at the end of 2009.

I find it dissapointing these days that people trot out such a hard line on players. To only give him a couple of chances then sack him is hypocritical when you keep lovett murrey on your list after many indiscretions including of field violant behaviour, which I would consider a major issue even more so then drug problems.

I think the Tigers did well to pick him up he may or may not make it but he is just as much a chance as any other 18 year old picked up at a similar position in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's already put 80% of our list to shame when it comes to body size, he's come back with the guns roarin'.

Hopefully he can play.

He's already put 80% of our list to shame when it comes to body size, he's come back with the guns roarin'.

Hopefully he can play.

Will he get a game ahead of Cousins, Deledio, Newman, Tuck, Foley, Cotchin and Tambling ?
The you've got Thomson, Polo, King, JOK, and a few others I have probably forgotten about waiting in the wings.

If he couldn't get a game in the Essendon midfield then I don't see how he is going to get into yours. And the reason he couldn't get a game is he isn't that good. Good luck to him but Richmond would probably be the worst situation for him as far as solidifying an AFL career goes.

Will he get a game ahead of Cousins, Deledio, Newman, Tuck, Foley, Cotchin and Tambling ?
The you've got Thomson, Polo, King, JOK, and a few others I have probably forgotten about waiting in the wings.

If he couldn't get a game in the Essendon midfield then I don't see how he is going to get into yours. And the reason he couldn't get a game is he isn't that good. Good luck to him but Richmond would probably be the worst situation for him as far as solidifying an AFL career goes.

On the flip side it might mean he now knows he has to work hard to get a game rather than just assume he is a walk up start. Could be the kind of difference that changes off field attitude and application.

On the flip side it might mean he now knows he has to work hard to get a game rather than just assume he is a walk up start. Could be the kind of difference that changes off field attitude and application.

I forgot Kane Johnson as well.

Won't matter if he changes his attitude. He will never be as good as Cousins, Foley, Johnson, Tuck, Cotchin or Newman who all essentially play the same position as him.

He's not that good....

This is the key point people are forgetting.

If he couldn't get a game in the Essendon midfield then I don't see how he is going to get into yours. And the reason he couldn't get a game is he isn't that good.

Bizzarre isnt it.
He only had 2 seasons to show anything then out the door.

Coz he's gone he has apparantly shown everything possible in an interrupted 2 yrs to know he's crap. I wonder if that'd be the talk if he hadnt had an off field drama.

Who knows...might be a great pick up.

I find it dissapointing these days that people trot out such a hard line on players. To only give him a couple of chances then sack him is hypocritical when you keep lovett murrey on your list after many indiscretions including of field violant behaviour, which I would consider a major issue even more so then drug problems.

I think the Tigers did well to pick him up he may or may not make it but he is just as much a chance as any other 18 year old picked up at a similar position in the draft.

that was Andrew Lovett, not NLM, & you have already forgotten Knights had all but kicked him out the door, just that there were no takers & he was/is under contract.

Bizzarre isnt it.
He only had 2 seasons to show anything then out the door.

Coz he's gone he has apparantly shown everything possible in an interrupted 2 yrs to know he's crap. I wonder if that'd be the talk if he hadnt had an off field drama.

Who knows...might be a great pick up.

Sorry. How many games have you seen him play ?

I forgot Kane Johnson as well.

Won't matter if he changes his attitude. He will never be as good as Cousins, Foley, Johnson, Tuck, Cotchin or Newman who all essentially play the same position as him.

If he has no hope in hell of breaking in to the Tigers midfield, then why did they get him in the first place?

He has an emormous amount of potential, and the Tigers got him for free.

It just sounds like you have sour grapes over the whole situation.

Sorry. How many games have you seen him play ?

Being a Sydney man, he probably would have seen the only game Tom showed anything in.

I still think he could be a good player, but it wasn't going to happen at Essendon. Hopefully being sent packing and having to be redrafted is the kick in the backside he needs to get himself sorted.

If he has no hope in hell of breaking in to the Tigers midfield, then why did they get him in the first place?

This was before they got Cousins.
He has an emormous amount of potential, and the Tigers got him for free.
Why do you say an enormous amount of potential ?
Just becuase he was pick 20.

Plenty of high end draft picks fail. Chris Egan was a top tenner. Should Collingwood have persisted him because of his 'enormous potential' ?
It just sounds like you have sour grapes over the whole situation.

None at all. If you check through my posts on the Essendon board I have been quite realistic about his ability for quite some time.

As I said, good luck to him but I just can't see how he is going to get a game at Richmond unless they have a ridiculous amount of injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hislop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back