Tom Hislop

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt show much apart from a half against Sydney where he was an animal at the football.

Injury prone and a very questionable attitude.

Richmond have taken a risk drafting two players who were delisted by their previous clubs for off field issues.

So a player who is 30+, had one and a half years out of the game and has had hamstring problems is going to keep him out indefinitely?

Well, how long do you think Richmond are going to keep him on the list if he can't get a game ?

AFL is a brutal business. Players with a second chance generally get one year to show something, two at the absolute maximum.

Again, is he going to get a game ahead of the following players in the next two seasons :

Cousins, Foley, Coughlan (thanks 7zark7), Johnson, Tuck, Cotchin, Tambling, Newman and Polo.

He would have been a good fit at St Kilda or a similar club that lacks a few young midfielders that could have some sort of immediate impact.

But then again I still don't think he is that good anyway.

Sorry. How many games have you seen him play ?
Why ?...unlike some other blokes was he expected to be an instant star or show obvious potential so early ?

There are blokes at our clubs that've been there 3-4 yrs and have hardly played a game and hardly shown anything...but faith is shown.

You blokes gave him away for other reasons. If it was just his footy he would've got at least another season to show something.

We seem obsessed with midfielders at the moment.

The next year or two is going to make or break Hislop,Thomson,Polo and most unfortunately Coughlan.

Competition and depth is a good but Tom Hislop is going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to even get a game.

We seem obsessed with midfielders at the moment.

The next year or two is going to make or break Hislop,Thomson,Polo and most unfortunately Coughlan.

Competition and depth is a good but Tom Hislop is going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to even get a game.

What's the plan with White ?
Like the look of him..no champ but the type that could play 100+ games.

You blokes gave him away for other reasons. If it was just his footy he would've got at least another season to show something.

Agreed. However.

Average player plus bad attitude = delisting
Good player plus bad attitude = give another chance.

Am willing to have a wager that he won't be on Richmonds list next season. As I said, one of the major reasons is I think that it is just a bad fit for him.

Probably in the same predicament as the other players dgtigers mentioned. May be ahead of them in the pecking order.

Very quick runs the lines very well. Can play midfield but seems to me he would make a good attacking half back or even take King's spot as small defender

that was Andrew Lovett, not NLM, & you have already forgotten Knights had all but kicked him out the door, just that there were no takers & he was/is under contract.

not because they couldn't give him away as many clubs would have taken him but the price being asked was to high i think they wanted a top 10 draft pick for him. What a bunch of hypocrits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not because they couldn't give him away as many clubs would have taken him but the price being asked was to high i think they wanted a top 10 draft pick for him. What a bunch of hypocrits

I heard the price we were asking was a pick in the mid teens and we'd also have handed over pick 23.

Hislop's very hard at the ball and the man, and that gets him a. injured and b. reported. Really, Lonergan's emergence meant that one of our pressing needs was no longer so pressing. Hislop's disposal needs a lot of work as well.

love this kid, always gives 110%, has pace to burn. pretty big engine and most of all bleeds yellow and black, loves the club and so far his performances and work ethic have made us all love his work.

questions over disposal, however if he keeps working as hard as he is, no reason why he cant be a very good player for us. will never overshadow deledio, cotchin or foley but gee i love this kid, see him as a big part of our future, definitely a personal fave of mine.

Good on them. Culture, morale, attitude etc is one of the most important things in a team, you dont want tools contaminating a good environment. People cant, or shouldn't be able to, do and act as they please just because they have talent

When Carlton supporters agree with Essendon supporters,you know they're losing the plot.

Well, how long do you think Richmond are going to keep him on the list if he can't get a game ?

AFL is a brutal business. Players with a second chance generally get one year to show something, two at the absolute maximum.

Again, is he going to get a game ahead of the following players in the next two seasons :

Cousins, Foley, Coughlan (thanks 7zark7), Johnson, Tuck, Cotchin, Tambling, Newman and Polo.

He would have been a good fit at St Kilda or a similar club that lacks a few young midfielders that could have some sort of immediate impact.

To answer your question, yes he will get a gig in the midfield before Johnson, Tambling, Newman, Polo, Thompson, most likely Coughlan unless he can get fully fit again and perhaps even Cotchin only in his second season.

Which leaves a Cousins, Foley, Tuck, Deledio, Hislop midfield.

And even if Hislop doesn't find a spot in the starting tigers midfield he will be played as a small defender who can rotate through the midfield

I think he could be tried as a small defender as that is really a position we lack. Also if he has absolutely no talent why would he gone that early in a superdraft? Im sure he will play in the NAB Cup and if he does well enough he will keep his spot. Also you talk about our midfield like its as good as Geelongs or something, its not. Players clearly better than him would be Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Tuck, Cousins. The other spots are up for grabs.

I think he could be tried as a small defender as that is really a position we lack. Also if he has absolutely no talent why would he gone that early in a superdraft? Im sure he will play in the NAB Cup and if he does well enough he will keep his spot. Also you talk about our midfield like its as good as Geelongs or something, its not. Players clearly better than him would be Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Tuck, Cousins. The other spots are up for grabs.

Thankyou.. Totally agree:thumbsu:

If he has no hope in hell of breaking in to the Tigers midfield, then why did they get him in the first place?

He has an emormous amount of potential, and the Tigers got him for free.

It just sounds like you have sour grapes over the whole situation.

Get your hand off it buddy.

You have probably never even watched him play?

Most Essendon supporters were realistic about his ability, the others were ignorant and based their judgement on potential and or his draft position.

He is a hard little nut who has a dip but he is a bit of a plodder and skills wise he is so so. He will never be anything more than a handy player.

He couldn't break into the Essendon team, you know, the team with the so called worst midfield in the competition, yet you think it is down to sour grapes? :rolleyes:

Why ?...unlike some other blokes was he expected to be an instant star or show obvious potential so early ?

There are blokes at our clubs that've been there 3-4 yrs and have hardly played a game and hardly shown anything...but faith is shown.

Which 3 games did you see of his?

I'm not sure what Essendon supporters are getting at going by this thread. The kid's obviously got talent, why deny it?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348917&page=5

FWIW, from what I've seen of Hislop so far, he's got himself into supreme shape and looks like he really wants to take this second chance. Wallace had extensive talks with him before the draft, and obviously thinks he can turn his attitude around. I trust him because he's got a great track record so far with Connors, Morton, Polak and hopefully Cousins and Hislop.

Also if he has absolutely no talent why would he gone that early in a superdraft?
hopefully this is the kick up the arse he needs
Just like Collard, eh? ;)
He's not that good and with Cousins at the Tigers, plus guys like Thomson, Polo, King, JOK etc all battling for that 'replace when injured' midfield spot Hislop will be short odds to be delisted at the end of 2009.
Richmond drafted Hislop as a category two player with a guaranteed two year contract.

And possibly more money than he deserves.

It will count in their cap if they delist Hislop after one year.

A smarter club would have drafted Hislop in the PSD and given him a one year contract to prove himself.

The only thing I can remember about Hislop at senior level is looking off the pace and lost like Russell when he debuted.

I'd put Hislop in the same boat as another former top 20 pick in Pfeiffer for talent, hardness, skill and attitude. ;)

Tigers fans should know draft position means jack after Tambling and Foley came into the AFL via different drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hislop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back