Tonights umpiring thread !

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly,

Anyone who thinks that umpires cost their team a game is far too invested in this business.

AFL is nothing more than entertainment. Yes I wanted the Saints to win. Yes I cried when Reiwoldt kicked the last goal of the game and yes I would've cried had we lost BUT I would still be able to sleep in my house, go to my job on Monday and party with my friends on Grand Final day.

Unless you are employed by the club and rely on them for financial support then there is no reason for fans to be as irrational as they are.

In your eyes the hero was defeated in this movie. In my eyes the hero won.

If you are hoping for the umpires to be fair and pay everything to eveyone or nothing to no-one then it really says alot about how you rate your club. Good teams get the rub of the green. Maybe if Lake wasn't such an idiot he wouldn't bump a bloke 80 metres off the ball. More so if he had been warned by the umpire before hand. Reiwoldt had every right to dive. Aker said as much on Before The Game.

I'm sure you all have more important things to worry about than the result of a GAME that none of you are actually involved with and if you do feel a need to over analyse it, look at some of your players and why they failed to kick goals. Look at your coaches and their selection process/match ups.

The free kick counts will never be fair. Some weeks you cop it and some weeks it favours you. If a team was any good then they would be so far up it doesn't matter.

You can't blame umpires. It's a cop out that hides the true reason teams lose games.

I hope that over the next couple of days you can all calm down and realise this.

As for Davo,

You say we couldn't win without the umps. How do you know this? The result may have been a massive Saints win if the umps didn't pay those frees. Maybe Kosi bumps Lake back for the Reiwoldt thing and Lake twists an ankle? Maybe Kosi then kicks 6? You can't say what would've happened IF things were different.

You have to accept what you can't change mate.

Honestly,

Anyone who thinks that umpires cost their team a game is far too invested in this business.

AFL is nothing more than entertainment. Yes I wanted the Saints to win. Yes I cried when Reiwoldt kicked the last goal of the game and yes I would've cried had we lost BUT I would still be able to sleep in my house, go to my job on Monday and party with my friends on Grand Final day.

Unless you are employed by the club and rely on them for financial support then there is no reason for fans to be as irrational as they are.

If you are hoping for the umpires to be fair and pay everything to eveyone or nothing to no-one then it really says alot about how you rate your club. Good teams get the rub of the green. Maybe if Lake wasn't such an idiot he wouldn't bump a bloke 80 metres off the ball. More so if he had been warned by the umpire before hand. Reiwoldt had every right to dive. Aker said as much on Before The Game.

I'm sure you all have more important things to worry about than the result of a GAME that none of you are actually involved with and if you do feel a need to over analyse it, look at some of your players and why they failed to kick goals. Look at your coaches and their selection process/match ups.

The free kick counts will never be fair. Some weeks you cop it and some weeks it favours you. If a team was any good then they would be so far up it doesn't matter.

You can't blame umpires. It's a cop out that hides the true reason teams lose games.

I hope that over the next couple of days you can all calm down and realise this.

As for Davo,

You say we couldn't win without the umps. How do you know this? The result may have been a massive Saints win if the umps didn't pay those frees. Maybe Kosi bumps Lake back for the Reiwoldt thing and Lake twists an ankle? Maybe Kosi then kicks 6? You can't say what would've happened IF things were different.

You have to accept what you can't change mate.

really?

Honestly,

Your attitude would be the complete opposite if some of this crap was paid against your mob.

You are going to get eaten alive by insinuating the Dogs are not very good. Funny that the Saints Prelim win will be all to no avail when Geelong pumps them next week, and this is actually a good chance to happen.

Therefore you would have got the exact same thing out of the season as the dogs: A failed season.

Go back to your own board.

Enjoy the game:thumbsdown:

Love how even though it was stupid what Lake did, it was OK that Kosi comes in and puts him down with as much force as what Riewoldt was bumped with.

That was a massive dive by Riewoldt. Maybe he should play soccer where it ok to stage for freekicks:thumbsdown:

Honestly,

why? everyone watches (some spend their hard earnt) to watch their team play and deserves to comment about the game.

what makes me more annoyed is not one Saints supporter on this forum has accepted they were lucky to win instead trying to justify the Reiwoldt free kick was there and should always be paid.

Anyway the good thing about sport is Karma is always alive and well and the saints time will come to be screwed over when it matters most (maybe this saturday) and rightly so there will be people to remind you you had no problems with the Reiwoldt free kick, we will see how many saints supporters
then suck it up and dont complain.

The Saints supporters can try & justify some of those free kicks all they like, esp the diving, er, Revolting one.

The fact is that EVERY radio & TV show commenting on it says it was a disgrace.

You would think the Saints would simply be happy to have won rather than having to come over here & try & justify the free kicks & their win. Smacks of insecurity to me.

Davo,

Yes. Free kick counting is over analysing. Players control the game. Don't do anything wrong you wont get caught. It's like people who sook after getting caught "only" a couple K's over the limit. You were still speeding.

Doggy,

As I said I would've cried BUT I wouldn't blame the umpires.

I would've wondered what Milne and Schneider were doing. Where Robert Eddy was. My team have no control over the umpires but they still control their actions.

Hawks fans cry about the umpires paying so many free kicks against them but the way they play is it any surprise? Hawthorn were good enough to overcome the fact they give away 20 frees a game.

The Dogs have been awesome this year. Highest scoring team in the comp. I personally don't think you need a key forward. Another key defender would be the go. Someone to stop a guy like Reiwoldt.

The Cats may very well destroy us next week but I can tell you know, as upset as I will be, I won't be blaming the umpires and come Sunday I'll have more important things to think about.

Guys I'm not trying to justify the frees and yes we were lucky to win but we were lucky that you missed so many shots. Put those goals on the board and free kicks are no longer important.

I just can't understand why so many people become so illogical over something they can't control. I don't care how much money you spend. You don't get that money back if your team wins the flag.

I don't mean to keep trolling. I'm just trying to explain myself.

Like I said, I have alot of sympathy for you guys. I know how much it hurts to lose such a big game by such a small margin. The '04 prelim was killer.

Again, good luck next year.

Davo,

Yes. Free kick counting is over analysing. Players control the game. Don't do anything wrong you wont get caught. It's like people who sook after getting caught "only" a couple K's over the limit. You were still speeding.

Doggy,

As I said I would've cried BUT I wouldn't blame the umpires.

I would've wondered what Milne and Schneider were doing. Where Robert Eddy was. My team have no control over the umpires but they still control their actions.

Hawks fans cry about the umpires paying so many free kicks against them but the way they play is it any surprise? Hawthorn were good enough to overcome the fact they give away 20 frees a game.

The Dogs have been awesome this year. Highest scoring team in the comp. I personally don't think you need a key forward. Another key defender would be the go. Someone to stop a guy like Reiwoldt.

The Cats may very well destroy us next week but I can tell you know, as upset as I will be, I won't be blaming the umpires and come Sunday I'll have more important things to think about.

I just can't understand why so many people become so illogical over something they can't control.

I don't mean to keep trolling. I'm just trying to explain myself.

Like I said, I have alot of sympathy for you guys. I know how much it hurts to lose such a big game by such a small margin. The '04 prelim was killer.

Again, good luck next year.

Yeah of course... No way would you blame the umpires if they either pay a terrible decision that turns momentum in the grand final, nor will you complain if they award a very dodgy free kick to the cats with seconds to go in the game that puts the cats in front and wins them the premiership.. No you will be fine with it:rolleyes:

Stop trying to take the moral high ground and take your pathetic trolling or 'sympathetic comments' as you like to call it, back to your own smug board.

Beat it
We don't need your 'sympathy'

why? everyone watches (some spend their hard earnt) to watch their team play and deserves to comment about the game.

what makes me more annoyed is not one Saints supporter on this forum has accepted they were lucky to win instead trying to justify the Reiwoldt free kick was there and should always be paid.

Anyway the good thing about sport is Karma is always alive and well and the saints time will come to be screwed over when it matters most (maybe this saturday) and rightly so there will be people to remind you you had no problems with the Reiwoldt free kick, we will see how many saints supporters
then suck it up and dont complain.

I quickly want to point out that I don't speak on behalf of every Saints fan, obviously.

If Dawson did what Lake did I'd be pissed at Dawson. There was no reason to bump Reiwoldt when the players all know that kind of contact was being looked at heavily. What advantage did it give Lake to bump him? Crazy when you think that he had been warned by the umpire before hand.

You may not like the law but you should be upset with the idiot the broke it. Lake has been very, very good this year but that doesn't excuse him from making such a stupid decision.

I quickly want to point out that I don't speak on behalf of every Saints fan, obviously.

If Dawson did what Lake did I'd be pissed at Dawson. There was no reason to bump Reiwoldt when the players all know that kind of contact was being looked at heavily. What advantage did it give Lake to bump him? Crazy when you think that he had been warned by the umpire before hand.

You may not like the law but you should be upset with the idiot the broke it. Lake has been very, very good this year but that doesn't excuse him from making such a stupid decision.

I'm an umpire and I know there is no law against bumping an opposition player, no matter how far off the ball.. He did not even apply much force.. Funny how you don't also mention that Kosi then came in and out Lake down... Dermot Brereton in a Heraldsun Article also said the freekick should have been reversed but that it should not have been paid in the first place and is against the spirit of the game :rolleyes:

And don't say Lake took a dive because Riewoldt clearly did:thumbsdown:

Like I said, go back to your own board you troll

Aha! I know why they're here trying to justify that which cannot be.

They're trying to get back the RESPECT they LOST from all those posters (who outnumber them from all AFL teams and the media commentators) after some contentious decisions and THAT non existent free kick at one of the most pivotal times of the game.

At least the Bulldogs still have the R.E.S.P.E.C.T. of the footy world.:thumbsu:

I'm an umpire and I know there is no law against bumping an opposition player, no matter how far off the ball.. He did not even apply much force.. Funny how you don't also mention that Kosi then came in and out Lake down... Dermot Brereton in a Heraldsun Article also said the freekick should have been reversed but that it should not have been paid in the first place and is against the spirit of the game :rolleyes:

And don't say Lake took a dive because Riewoldt clearly did:thumbsdown:

Like I said, go back to your own board you troll

Why call me a troll? I'm just trying to explain from my own point of view and opinion. I make a point, you talk smack, I make another point, you call me a troll.

The free kick where Lake bumped Riewoldt and Kosi retaliated DID get reversed. It was payed out on the wing to Tim Callen.

The facts are that players were told that bumping, pushing, hitting etc of players off the ball would not be accepted. Brown was payed a free for the same thing last week. If what Aker said was true then it makes Lake even more responsible.

Reiwoldt had every right to dive. Just because you are tough doesn't mean you win. Reiwoldt is a tough, hard player but if he can get any advantage over his opponent he should take it. Any of your players would do the same.

As for the "spirit of the game"...Really? Coming from Dermie and being quoted by a Dogs fan? DO people honestly think that the '80's were THAT good? I'd back a team of 22 stars from today against any team of 22 stars from the '60's or '70's or '80's. I don't care how tough you are in a fight, worry about winning the game.

I didn't plan on getting into this kind of debate with you guys. I just don't understand why you feel like it was the umpires who cost you the game.

The umpires are not important.

If Gia, Eagleton, Aker or Gilbee put away a goal in the last I doubt any of you would give a toss about the umps.

Yes, the loss hurts but put the blame where it lies, with the players and coaching staff. If you can't see your own faults how are you going to improve. It's such a Gen Y attitude to blame everyone else and this is coming from a 21 year old!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why call me a troll? I'm just trying to explain from my own point of view and opinion. I make a point, you talk smack, I make another point, you call me a troll.

The free kick where Lake bumped Riewoldt and Kosi retaliated DID get reversed. It was payed out on the wing to Tim Callen.

The facts are that players were told that bumping, pushing, hitting etc of players off the ball would not be accepted. Brown was payed a free for the same thing last week. If what Aker said was true then it makes Lake even more responsible.

Reiwoldt had every right to dive. Just because you are tough doesn't mean you win. Reiwoldt is a tough, hard player but if he can get any advantage over his opponent he should take it. Any of your players would do the same.

As for the "spirit of the game"...Really? Coming from Dermie and being quoted by a Dogs fan? DO people honestly think that the '80's were THAT good? I'd back a team of 22 stars from today against any team of 22 stars from the '60's or '70's or '80's. I don't care how tough you are in a fight, worry about winning the game.

I didn't plan on getting into this kind of debate with you guys. I just don't understand why you feel like it was the umpires who cost you the game.

If Gia, Eagleton, Aker or Gilbee put away a goal in the last I doubt any of you would give a toss about the umps.

Yes, the loss hurts but put the blame where it lies, with the players and coaching staff. If you can't see your own faults how are you going to improve. It's such a Gen Y attitude to blame everyone else and this is coming from a 21 year old!!!

Seriously.. the reason you feel you have to justify everything to us smacks of insecurity on your behalf. Your supporters on Bigfooty have already brought down the credibility of St Kilda supporters.

The free kick was not reversed you putz. Do you honestly think that if it was reversed the footballing community would be talking about it as a joke of a free kick and a gimme goal to Riewoldt? Get a clue St Blunder:thumbsdown:

Well that explains it.

Why argue with you.

You know everything. :rolleyes:

Way to generalise... You must have a hard time lining up at the dole office with all the gooks, coons and towel heads...

See how that kind of stupidity can go both ways yet get us nowhere?

The point of listing my age was to show that someone who should be emotionally charged and a one-eyed "What about me?" type supporter can still think logically and clearly rationalise that in the grand scheme of life FOOTY doesn't mean that much.

I am very passionate about my club but most people are just morons who can't see the forrest for the trees.

The AFL aren't evil. They didn't cost you the game. Your teams usually superb skills failed on friday night. Worry about why that happened. Was it stage fright? The Saints pressure? Who knows?

One thing is for sure, the umpires didn't miss those shots.

Seriously.. the reason you feel you have to justify everything to us smacks of insecurity on your behalf. Your supporters on Bigfooty have already brought down the credibility of St Kilda supporters.

The free kick was not reversed you putz. Do you honestly think that if it was reversed the footballing community would be talking about it as a joke of a free kick and a gimme goal to Riewoldt? Get a clue St Blunder:thumbsdown:

There were two frees paid to Reiwoldt.

One was at the start of the 3rd qtr. I'm not saying I agree with the rule mind you, but it was payed, deal with it.

In the second qtr however, Lake put Reiwoldt down off the ball and was paid a free BUT Kosi came in and retaliated. The kick was reversed down the field and Callen took the kick.

In my original statement however I was talking in a hypothetical situation. Dogs fans think the result wouldv'e been different if the umps were "fair".

I simply posed that taking those frees out may have resulted in a bigger win for the Saints. The Chaos Theory. Change one thing and you change everything.

What if instead of the free the ump bounces the ball and Hudson does his knee ala Ottens in round 2? What if Conney slipped and KO'd himself?

Way to generalise... You must have a hard time lining up at the dole office with all the gooks, coons and towel heads...

See how that kind of stupidity can go both ways yet get us nowhere?

The point of listing my age was to show that someone who should be emotionally charged and a one-eyed "What about me?" type supporter can still think logically and clearly rationalise that in the grand scheme of life FOOTY doesn't mean that much.

I am very passionate about my club but most people are just morons who can't see the forrest for the trees.

The AFL aren't evil. They didn't cost you the game. Your teams usually superb skills failed on friday night. Worry about why that happened. Was it stage fright? The Saints pressure? Who knows?

One thing is for sure, the umpires didn't miss those shots.

Yeah the same 'saints pressure' that was non-existent that the umpires had to hand you your first goal from a holding the ball decision where Hargrave actually KICKED THE BALL. The commentators said it was a disgraceful decision, and they didn't stop there.

Eagleton's goal, Riewoldt's touched 'goal', the hand over the shoulder of Hudson in the ruck with 1.30 left on the clock leading to Riewoldt's last goal and the sealer... Wasn't half obvious..

The holding the ball decisions that Saints got compared to the ones they got away with.. What a joke.. Umpires do not usually cost a team a game, but this time their influence was pathetically bias.

Now bugger off you have no need to be here causing trouble. Let us talk about it ourselves:thumbsdown:

Jesus H Christ what is your major malfunction, boy??

Get off our freaking board.

We DO NOT need fake sympathy and hypocritical moralising from some hormonally challenged battler from Cranbourne.

And this coming from a Gen-Xer Lordy Lordy.

There were two frees paid to Reiwoldt.

One was at the start of the 3rd qtr. I'm not saying I agree with the rule mind you, but it was payed, deal with it.

In the second qtr however, Lake put Reiwoldt down off the ball and was paid a free BUT Kosi came in and retaliated. The kick was reversed down the field and Callen took the kick.

In my original statement however I was talking in a hypothetical situation. Dogs fans think the result wouldv'e been different if the umps were "fair".

I simply posed that taking those frees out may have resulted in a bigger win for the Saints. The Chaos Theory. Change one thing and you change everything.

What if instead of the free the ump bounces the ball and Hudson does his knee ala Ottens in round 2? What if Conney slipped and KO'd himself?

Oh my god.. The one at the start of the 3rd quarter was the one where Kosi put Lake down and it was NOT reversed.. Get a clue. Watch the bloody thing again.

You are thinking of a completely different incident. And when Callan got that free kick, it was paid in defence and not on the wing where it should have been.

Again with the generalisations...

I would think that my posts have been rather emotion free and quite logical. The kind of stuff that can be debated without the need for cheap shots. (Then again I'm a Gen Y "battler" who hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:)

Yes the umpiring was bad. I've never said otherwise.

If I'm wrong about the Callan free I'll cop that.

I'd hope that Eade isn't thinking the same way as most of you are. If the players think that the umpires cost them then they are in trouble next year.

Buddy Franklin was the most penalised player last season. He also kicked 100 goals. Umps didn't seem to be a problem for him.

Yes you got a poor run but it's not why you lost the game.

Again with the generalisations...

I would think that my posts have been rather emotion free and quite logical. The kind of stuff that can be debated without the need for cheap shots. (Then again I'm a Gen Y "battler" who hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:)

Yes the umpiring was bad. I've never said otherwise.

If I'm wrong about the Callan free I'll cop that.

I'd hope that Eade isn't thinking the same way as most of you are. If the players think that the umpires cost them then they are in trouble next year.

Buddy Franklin was the most penalised player last season. He also kicked 100 goals. Umps didn't seem to be a problem for him.

Yes you got a poor run but it's not why you lost the game.

Yes you are wrong about the 'reversal' which actually never happened. And the hudson one cost the dogs one last chance at pinching victory being 1 point down and dominating the quarter, save for inaccurate kicking.

Just leave our board or you may be kicked off for stirring a sensitive subject. This is for dogs supporters to discuss. How about I come onto the Saints board and stir things up? You wouldn't like that so bugger off troll

There are many reasons why the Bulldogs lost on Friday night like having too many players who cant hold their position,too many small players, bad drafting,bad umpiring from a certain repeat offender and his mates,professional sook who acts for free kicks all the time and terrible kicking for goal which brought about the result. I couldn't care who wins the grand final and i will not be watching of it. Why do StKilda supporters keep getting on our site? - to rub it in i suppose!

Been reading this thread with great interest and cannot believe there are some who can possibly defend some of the poor umpiring decisions. The umpiring fraternity needs to have a good hard look at themselves and stop paying dubious frees. Call the obvious frees, let the others go. Every line ball call made favoured St Kilda and the Reiwoldt free was beyond comprehension. It's high time games weren't decided by disgraceful decisions, and this is the most disgraceful in recent memory as its a prelim. The Doggies controlled this game and sure, they kicked themselves out of it to a degree, but to have such a decision made at such a crucial juncture is a disgrace and I would argue it changed the course of the game, poor accuracy or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonights umpiring thread !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back