Rumour Tony Armstrong to Collingwood - likely in PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There have been players who have played their best footy at their third club

Brian Wilson - Won the Brownlow aged 20 at his 3rd club Melbourne
Brenton Sanderson - 199 games at Geelong after 10 in total for Adelaide and Collingwood
Brent Guerra - long career and 2 flags at Hawthorn after stints with Port and St Kilda
Leigh Brown - premiership hero at Collingwood after modest career at Freo and North

There's probably others

We can only dream!

There have been players who have played their best footy at their third club

Brian Wilson - Won the Brownlow aged 20 at his 3rd club Melbourne
Brenton Sanderson - 199 games at Geelong after 10 in total for Adelaide and Collingwood
Brent Guerra - long career and 2 flags at Hawthorn after stints with Port and St Kilda
Leigh Brown - premiership hero at Collingwood after modest career at Freo and North

There's probably others

We can only dream!

I went to Primary School with Brian Wilson although he was one year older than me.
He also went to same High School when he was in year 11 & 12.
Royce Hart told him at Bulldogs that he will never be a player and delisted him.
Went to North for a year and also got delisted.
His third year as an unknown he wins a Brownlow.
Everyone has an opinion about players. In the case of Brian Wilson the previous 2 clubs were wrong.
How about we give Tony Armstrong a go first.
I barrack for the Collingwood jumper and want every player that wears it to succeed !

I barrack for the Collingwood jumper and want every player that wears it to succeed !

I love that. I too barrack for the club, "The Jumper" and I will support and respect anyone who wears it or has worn it because they have represented the team I was brought up to love.

Well said sir vampire.

Has speed and can use the ball, marking is fairly decent too.

No doubt there is something to work with, and if we can give him some confidence and maybe a slightly different role I see a future for him a role-playing type attacking defender.

Decent chance he will spend the whole year playing in the VFL but we don't really lose anything in that situation as he provides depth and will improve our VFL back line a lot

He is good at kicking sideways (Ridiculously high accuracy) or the short kicks but doesnt have the best read for the play on the downfield kicks.

The biggest problem he has had though is he has no physicality. He really has to HTFU. But your right, he has some toe.

He is a player that could become something, and on the free worth the pick up. A year in the VFL would be benificial to him over the NEAFL where he just racks up the possies as and outside man and does nothing really for his game development. We dont have the best ressies comp.

My honest opinion of him, but for a team playing in the top reserves comp, it could take him to the next level.

Just my honest opinion but, worth a gamble on a cheap contract. A handy depth player as well if you get a few injuries to you HBF loosing Daisy and Shaw.

I hope he comes good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two years in a row where Collingwood have managed their list beautifully, balancing both the short and long term priorities.

Selling high, to buy into the top range of quality kids for the future, whilst also grabbing adequate short term replacements on the cheap.

Dawes = Grundy and Lynch
Wellingham = Kennedy and C.Young
Thomas = pick6 and Karnezis
H.Shaw = Adams and Armstrong

Guys like Armstrong are not expected to be stars, however the realisation is we just lost an experienced bloke who provided run and carry off HB, we can't expect a draft pick to immediately come in and be able to play a full season....so get a bloke on the cheap who is mature and can be an option

Two years in a row where Collingwood have managed their list beautifully, balancing both the short and long term priorities.

Selling high, to buy into the top range of quality kids for the future, whilst also grabbing adequate short term replacements on the cheap.

Dawes = Grundy and Lynch

Guys like Armstrong are not expected to be stars, however the realisation is we just lost an experienced bloke who provided run and carry off HB, we can't expect a draft pick to immediately come in and be able to play a full season....so get a bloke on the cheap who is mature and can be an option
Every body who sooks like a school girl on here being negative about players cos they want a full list of stars please read doppleganger's post 10 times to help you learn abit about list management :)

Every body who sooks like a school girl on here being negative about players cos they want a full list of stars please read doppleganger's post 10 times to help you learn abit about list management :)

i don't think he had

Dawes = Grundy and Lynch

I disagree entirely with the examples you have used but i agree with your planning argument.

When Buckley has realised that players are not fitting his plan or strategy or they need to go home, he is ready to dispose of them because he knows he can grab something of similar value. None of those picks or recruits you listed could have been predicted at the time when that certain player left Collingwood. However you are definitely right about the free agents or trades.

Look, not a huge fan of Tony Armstrong, but that said he does have a lot of talent that would make him preferable to a pick in the 60's+. Speed and footskills are a good start...and he has some experience.

I think he will probably be another Jordan Russell...but if he is able to provide a bit of cover in case of injury and bulk up the VFL side then we will get value from him.

Remember we are now devoid of a readymade attacking half back flanker with Shaw gone. We have Ramsey, Broomhead, Oxley and Yagmoor who look promising in the role, or we can flick Sidebottom or Fasolo back there maybe...or even use Young.

Point is that at least Armstrong is someone who can slot into that position and hold up.

But this years trade/draft period won't be defined by Armstrong and Karnezis...it will be defined by what we recruit with pick 6 and 10...and whether Adams and White become good players for us. The rest is just lottery.

Thought he had a skin condition.
He's overrated anyway.
Prince > MJ

:eek: Wash your mouth out!!! :D
Almost every bit dancing you see on TV these days you go: "yep MJ did that, and that. And that too".
He has had a far greater influence on music than Prince ever will.

Ok end rant back on topic :D Armstrong, cost nothing, so if he indeed turns out to be a chook, so what it cost us a packet of chips.

please stop this sunshine pumping.

Armstrong is a scrub and i would be legit shocked if he lasted more than 2 years at the club.

i just cannot for the life of me see what derek and co see in the man? a good kick that's fantastic what else? not a thing he is as soft as butter and will get pushed around like a rag doll out there.

This is why Derek and co are paid recruiters - they have the inside knowledge you and I don't have. If he does end up being a scrub, bravo to you. In the meantime, until TA plays a few games for us, I'm going to hold off judgement on him.

To use a past example, I recall being at a NAB Cup game years ago when supporters were bagging a cast-off we had picked up from Freo. Too soft, no heart, no skills were the sorts of things being yelled out in the stands. That recruit proved everyone wrong. That player was Jimmy Clement.

Hopefully the pies are considering Nahas after he was delisted

Would rather Nahas than Armstrong, I think he has some talent

Looks like his highlights are his 25-30 meter kicking which we definitely need to improve on out of defense... so he'll get the benefit of the doubt, before I see more of him (doubt he'll see much game time but might be handy in the magoos).

before making it public they wanted to move Shaw on they would have already been 80% comfortable in replacing his role with say a Oxley, Young or seedsman. otherwise they would have tolerated his behaviour until a replacement for that position became adequate. Armstrong will just be the 20% or insurance needed to provide options and pressure to the player they choose.

will be given opportunity's to prove his worth in varied positions to see if he changes the dynamics or chemistry of the team for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back