Rumour Tony Armstrong to Collingwood - likely in PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get him for NIX in the PSD, he is more developed than any 60+ kid in the draft so at worst he is depth for a year or two - what the hell is the problem?

That doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence just because he is "more developed".

Jordan Russell was more developed too.

It's just a waste of list space, even though he will cost next to nothing.

question is he better than a kid ranked around pick 60-70. Surely we back Hine and Rendell as you aint betting the farm on him.

Reality is club wants some depth as a bit of hedge. As Hine said the ave number of games has fallen by 20 across the list and we need some players who whilst might not be in the best 22 are part of the next 10 or so in case we need them.

When you think of our running HB / BPs who can also be a quarterback sort of player and set us up going fwd it aint as if we have someone that is a lock for it. Seedsman played there a bit this year but he will be pushed up to wing, Sinclair did well but he isnt a sure thing I would think, Clarke has a long way to go, Oxley and Ramsay are both young and could leap up I guess and there is Karnezis but he has a way to go based on what I saw this year. Clint Young is probably the one who could get that role but he needs to be inj free.

So when you think of it in that perspective I kind of get why they are looking for someone.

Neither here now there on this if he comes next to nothing.

However, if he's not interested and doesn't want to leave Sydney then I don't want to touch him. Seem this year has all been about Bucks setting his team up,how he wants so don't want a spoilt apple at the club.

Two points. 1. If a recycled player doesn't make it in the Sydney system then it doesn't look good for him to make it in any other system. 2. With all Sydney's injuries in the prelim. Why wasn't he picked?.
The only thing we can go on is that the powers that be know more than us.

We can pick the guy up on a one year deal. Any draftee (not rookies) automatically gets a 2 year deal. If either are no good, we'd want to be able to punt them after a year. A draftees means a payout and cap space for the 2nd year.

For all the people saying he will cost nothing, he takes a list spot that we could give to one of our rookies in Martin, Frost, Oxley or Mooney all who I think are better prospects. I assume Dwyer will be promoted.

I asked my brother about him yesterday who is a massive swans supporter and he said "absolutely terrible player. Hope you don't pick him up". Most swans fans think similar. A guy that gets delisted from one of the best systems in the afl and that was second club that got rid of him.

I will back our clubs decisions but everything screams wrong about this.

For all the people saying he will cost nothing, he takes a list spot that we could give to one of our rookies in Martin, Frost, Oxley or Mooney all who I think are better prospects. I assume Dwyer will be promoted.

I asked my brother about him yesterday who is a massive swans supporter and he said "absolutely terrible player. Hope you don't pick him up". Most swans fans think similar. A guy that gets delisted from one of the best systems in the afl and that was second club that got rid of him.

Just put the blame on Mick for recruiting him. Then all is fine.

Okay, now I am torn. Do I trust Hine / Rendell / Bux, or your brother? I'm going to need to think this through...

:)

Maybe he prefers to live in Sydney & is hoping they do not delist him?
Once delisted he will shift focus & will say "I am excited to be at Collingwood, a club with a huge following, history & solid administration & top facilities. My preferred destination for the next step in my career. I am recharged & can't wait for next season to start. I have had a chat with Bucks & he has some specific plans for me next year".

You've nailed it. You should be writing the club's press releases for all traded in players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, now I am torn. Do I trust Hine / Rendell / Bux, or your brother? I'm going to need to think this through...

Well my brother also said he thought Jesse White would be a good pick up.

I know you were taking the piss but I did say I would trust the club.

Would you rather elevate one of our rookies or pick up Armstrong?

I am going to answer on behalf of Mr Bean (we are not on first name terms).
I think that strong performing rookies will find their way onto the senior list next year via natural promotion.
Hence the real comparison is Armstrong to a pick 67 18 year old or another mature age recruit, the fact that we are talking about Armstrong indicates to me that Hine intends to grab him.
So, we roll the dice on another recycled option. Let it be so.

I am going to answer on behalf of Mr Bean (we are not on first name terms).
I think that strong performing rookies will find their way onto the senior list next year via natural promotion.
Hence the real comparison is Armstrong to a pick 67 18 year old or another mature age recruit, the fact that we are talking about Armstrong indicates to me that Hine intends to grab him.
So, we roll the dice on another recycled option. Let it be so.

I think I'd rather leave the spot empty and take another pick in the Rookie draft. We can then promote any of the form rookies based on injuries / gaps. With two clubs and nothing to show for it, it is likely he just isn't good enough. I can't think of the last player that "made it" at his third club (although I fully expect about 100 examples to be quoted!). I know some people rate depth, but in that position, I'd rather give the game time to an up and comer for development

Yeah, and no offence intended Tbone - was just stirring.

To be honest, I would rather us take Armstrong. As DLV said, e have those rookies already available to us. They aren't going anywhere. Let's make a decision on them when we need to. We will probably ipgrade Dwyer, and probably again put Hudson and maybe Frost on the senior list to start the year.

I think I'd rather leave the spot empty and take another pick in the Rookie draft. We can then promote any of the form rookies based on injuries / gaps. With two clubs and nothing to show for it, it is likely he just isn't good enough. I can't think of the last player that "made it" at his third club (although I fully expect about 100 examples to be quoted!). I know some people rate depth, but in that position, I'd rather give the game time to an up and comer for development

LeighBrown_246b.jpg

Yeah, I saw that too.

He's also a lifelong Sydney supporter.

I wouldn't want to be traded if I was playing for the team I grew up barracking for either.
He went back to Sydney from Adelaide because he was home sick, which is where his family is. Can't see it working myself.

When an opposite supporter base isnt afraid to say when one of there own is terrible you straight up knowyou are just getting a bad player.

Russell everyone at carlton said he was bad and what do you know he was awful.

id expect something very similar to him be on the list for a year show nothing. Make us at times rack our brains to why the hell did we pick this scrub up and then everyone will forget about him next offseason.

I don't think it makes much of a difference, to be honest, to guys like Martin and Oxley. If those guys play well enough, they will get opportunities.

The potential cost is of the kid we don't draft or rookie who could be anything or nothing, because there isn't the room on the list. In that sense, as has been pointed out, I think you need to back our recruiting team that Armstrong is worth the gamble more than the 18yo kid we could pick up. Clearly, Hine does not rate the depth in this draft, hence our going in with only two live picks.

He is garbage he takes a spot on our list

I would have rather keep Russell for one more year

Akot of very good VFL players like Dwyer who would be better pick ups

Don't need another mummies boy.
Given Sydney are delisting him, it could well be a case of this being his last chance of an AFL career. Presumably when he returned to Sydney from Adelaide he had options. Having the blinkers on might be what he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back