Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely untrue for Sidebottom and Redden (who you mentioned earlier). Shuey and Zaharakis play with more flair, yes. I'd argue this is offset by the fact Beams is a lot better inside than Zaharakis though.

Redden neither breaks the lines more or uses the ball better than Beams. Very good inside player in his own right though, and solid with the ball in hand.

Beams has far more pace than Sidebottom and a much more penetrating boot. No idea where you got the idea Sidebottom plays with more flash, it's well off the mark. Really questioning how much of Collingwood you've even seen to be honest if this is how you see them.

You are arguing points many legitimate but most of which have nothing to do with what i have said. All the above players have higher DE than beams. Beams is an accumulator. His hurt factor is not up with the above mentioned players. Doesn't mean he's necessarily worse. I was just saying that perhaps the reason he isn't rated as high by many is because his hurt factor isn't as good.

I had Dangerfield at number 1 18 months ago and copped a fair bit of slack over it. Looks like a bloody good call now I say.

FWIW Dangerfield at 1 with Cotchin 2. They look like the clear standouts to me

You are arguing points many legitimate but most of which have nothing to do with what i have said. All the above players have higher DE than beams. Beams is an accumulator. His hurt factor is not up with the above mentioned players. Doesn't mean he's necessarily worse. I was just saying that perhaps the reason he isn't rated as high by many is because his hurt factor isn't as good.

Beams had a higher DE than Shuey last year, and this year not one player who averages more than Beam's 29.1 possessions a game has a better DE than him which includes Ablett, Swan, Watson and Thompson.

And as i stated previously the only two from the 2008 draft who have kicked more goals are Garlett and Ballantyne both mature aged recruits. I think that is hurt factor kicking more goals than the people you have stated above.

The season is only 10 rounds in so DE can still change dramatically over the final twelve + rounds, so using that at the moment doesn't mean much.

DE means nothing really. Explain why Alan Didak over his career has generally had one of the lowest DE at the club. It's because he takes risky kicks. Beams is similar, he likes to kick long and direct. Sidebottom is definitely more of an accumulator. I think pre-draft hype/draft position effects how people view those two.

DE means nothing really. Explain why Alan Didak over his career has generally had one of the lowest DE at the club. It's because he takes risky kicks. Beams is similar, he likes to kick long and direct. Sidebottom is definitely more of an accumulator. I think pre-draft hype/draft position effects how people view those two.
There hasn't been much - if any - love for Mitch Duncan or Allen Christensen in here. Without them we wouldn't have got close to the grand final last year. Christensens Clearance work and Duncan's finishing is - to a bias geelong fan - as exciting as anyone in these lists.
Surely if Menzel was fit and firing instead of being fitted for a pair of prosthetic legs, he would be getting a gig too?
Steve Motlop is 3rd favourite on betfair for the rising star too.
More-so just wondering where you see these guys in the scheme of things.

There hasn't been much - if any - love for Mitch Duncan or Allen Christensen in here. Without them we wouldn't have got close to the grand final last year. Christensens Clearance work and Duncan's finishing is - to a bias geelong fan - as exciting as anyone in these lists.
Surely if Menzel was fit and firing instead of being fitted for a pair of prosthetic legs, he would be getting a gig too?
Steve Motlop is 3rd favourite on betfair for the rising star too.
More-so just wondering where you see these guys in the scheme of things.

I really like Duncan's game, he is very composed for his age and it probably stems from playing with such a good leadership group. He's a smart player and uses it very well going inside 50. He probably doesn't get as much recognition because he isn't a huge accumulator and it goes without saying that he is surrounded by a team of champions who steal alot of the limelight.

Christensen, for his size, has a very rounded inside and outside game. However I haven't seen as much of him as I have of Duncan. He also hasn't played enough games to be put up with some of the other blokes.

And Menzel would feature if he could get himself fit.

Have you had enough time to assess beams properly now? Fairly certain he just made your mids look silly

Yup
He had one of his best games for the year against us. He was good. Doesn't change the fact that i prefer sidebottom as a player. Saying he made our mids look silly in a game that close is a bit of a stretch.

Yup was his 3rd best game of the year, cannot wait to see how his goes if he gets some hurt factor. Maybe next time they will try the older Selwood on him.

Nice.... A thread talking about the 2007-9 drafts.

As a Freo fan im very happy about what Freo recruited in 2008 and 2009.

Would be interesting comparing Cyril Riolis and Hayden Ballantyne stats.

Rioli was Taken very early in the 2007 draft as an 18 year old. Ballantyne was taken Pick 21 as a 21 year old. I also wonder how Chris Yarran Stats are compared. It seemed like there as a massive recruitment of froward pocket Players.

Would of been Nice taking Dangerfield over Palmer or get a key Forward in the 2007 draft.

I could say the same thing about Rich over Hill in 2008 but it seems Hill will be a 200, maybe even a 250 game player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a pity that Fyfe was injured for so long this year. Would of got his first AA jumper. We probably would of had a few more wins on the board and snagged a home final too.

Top 4 with Cotchin, Dangerfield and Beams (damn thats a good group)!

1. Naitanui
2. Fyfe
3. Dangerfield
4. Beams
5. Rioli
6. Hurley
7. S.Reid
8. D.Talia
9. Cotchin
10. H.Taylor
11. T.Walker
12. D.Martin
13. Rockliff
14. Sloane
15. C.Ward

Very harsh to have Cotchin so low. Whilst Talia, Reid, Hurley all look like they might become excellent players, they have achieved nothing more than potential. Cotchin won the AFLCA award and is 2nd favourite for the Brownlow. I would have him in my top 3. Honestly, on BF potential is more highly valued than actual output.

1. Naitanui
2. Fyfe
3. Dangerfield
4. Beams
5. Rioli
6. Hurley
7. S.Reid
8. D.Talia
9. Cotchin
10. H.Taylor
11. T.Walker
12. D.Martin
13. Rockliff
14. Sloane
15. C.Ward

Cotchin number 9 is purely a bad choice.

1. Naitinui (yes on potential, but anyone with a clue can see what he will become)
2. Cotchin
2. Beams
4. Dangerfield (would be higher with better footskills)
5. Fyfe (would be higher with better footskills)

Clearly in front of the rest imo. It is especially hard to sort out the Rockliff/Redden/Sidebottom/Sloanes.

Start a team tomorrow I'd take Naitanui first. Before Ablett. Before Franklin. He can take over games like few others and the sheer contested ball winning and the forward momentum he can create is like no other to have played the game. Naitanui for me.

Cotchin hasn't been healthy for enough of his career up to this point for my liking. 15,10 and 17 in the first 3 seasons just isn't enough for me and he's only really found this elite level of football this year with signs of it last year. Having a fantastic season this year and will be top 10 in the brownlow this year but I like others more and I favour the KPPs - harder to find. When Richmond become a top 8 side (probably next year) I'll probably rate Cotchin higher but with the way guys like Dangerfield and Beams have carried top 4 sides I would take them first.

Redden has been great in the second half of this season but I like Rockliff more and of the pair I see him developing into the slightly better player all things said and done.

1. Naitanui
2. Fyfe
3. Dangerfield
4. Beams
5. Rioli
6. Hurley
7. S.Reid
8. D.Talia
9. Cotchin
10. H.Taylor
11. T.Walker
12. D.Martin
13. Rockliff
14. Sloane
15. C.Ward

I usually find your observations pretty dead on but Cotchin at 9 is just wrong.

After Callan Wards year I'd have him definite top 5 (at least ahead of Rioli).

I usually find your observations pretty dead on but Cotchin at 9 is just wrong.

After Callan Wards year I'd have him definite top 5 (at least ahead of Rioli).

Rioli is a curious one and because he is classed as a small forward and because of it likely won't be rated as highly by most but the sheer influence he can have on a contest with limited ball for a player of his size is without equal. I also really enjoy the chase and tackling aspect to his game and enjoy both sides to his game.

Ward has had a fantastic year and stepping up to do what he has done for GWS you have to respect his achievements. Certainly has passed Scully by as the franchise player in a hurry and I'll be really interested to see how he goes when GWS reach the peak of their powers.

Start a team tomorrow I'd take Naitanui first. Before Ablett. Before Franklin. He can take over games like few others and the sheer contested ball winning and the forward momentum he can create is like no other to have played the game. Naitanui for me.

Cotchin hasn't been healthy for enough of his career up to this point for my liking. 15,10 and 17 in the first 3 seasons just isn't enough for me and he's only really found this elite level of football this year with signs of it last year. Having a fantastic season this year and will be top 10 in the brownlow this year but I like others more and I favour the KPPs - harder to find. When Richmond become a top 8 side (probably next year) I'll probably rate Cotchin higher but with the way guys like Dangerfield and Beams have carried top 4 sides I would take them first.

Redden has been great in the second half of this season but I like Rockliff more and of the pair I see him developing into the slightly better player all things said and done.

And yet you take Hurley, Rioli and Sam Reid in front of him and they have hardly proven that they are durable enough for AFL footy. The Talia call is just plain baffling. How the hell could you possibly think that Talia is a better player than Cotchin?? Or better yet, has proven more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back