Marns

Back from the dead
Sep 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Well, I thought I would steal one of these of sydney_eagle.
Who do you believe to be the top 5 coaches in the league?

I cant go past Mark Williams for no.1, so...

1. Williams (Port)
2. Thompson (Geelong)
3. Daniher (Melbourne - I think the test will be 2005, that will show how good he and the Dees are, being our supposed 'bad' year)
4. Matthews (Brisbane)
5. Pagan (Carlton)

Marns said:
Well, I thought I would steal one of these of sydney_eagle.
Who do you believe to be the top 5 coaches in the league?

I cant go past Mark Williams for no.1, so...

1. Williams (Port)
2. Thompson (Geelong)
3. Daniher (Melbourne - I think the test will be 2005, that will show how good he and the Dees are, being our supposed 'bad' year)
4. Matthews (Brisbane)
5. Pagan (Carlton)
:eek: where is Mick Malthouse

cypher said:
How you rate Daniher and Thompson ahead of Pagan is a mystery.Considering he was only pipped by Williams for coach of the year when they won the Grand Final.
No Grant Thomas? :D

I would rate Thompson and Daniher ahead of Pagan. He is yesterdays man and is past it.

Still waiting on your answer to JD's question cypher as to why Pagan is better than Thomas in head to heads while he has been at Carlton.

You are still owned by JD.

Joffaboy said:
I would rate Thompson and Daniher ahead of Pagan. He is yesterdays man and is past it.
Thomas has never been it.
Still waiting on your answer to JD's question cypher as to why Pagan is better than Thomas in head to heads while he has been at Carlton.

You are still owned by JD.
Still waiting for you to grow up and keep a lid on it.
What's this thread have to do with JD?
Typical Joffaboy, JD and The Fireman to change the subject when they've lost the argument.Besides the question was did a Pagan make a move not that he was better in head to heads. Keep dreaming it's the only place you see premierships.

I dont think you could make a list like that without a premirship to your name.

Daniher has done nothing to stop the Dees Roller Coaster.

Thompson has had one really solid year

That list is ridiculous.

Malthouse made consecutive Grand Finals with a pretty average list and won a couple at WCE

Sheedy has won enough Premierships to keep even the fussiest of us bomber fans happy and rarely misses September action.

Pagan has proven himself time and time again even with a terrile list at the Blues

List should read

1. Matthews
2. or 3. Sheedy or Malthouse
4. Pagan
5. Williams

If you are talking the best careers, then the top 5 is obvious.

If you are talking the best in 2004, well that's a completely different argument.

I'm not sure I'd rate Matthews performance in 2004 in the top 5 coaching performances of the year.

1. Williams
2. Pagan
3. Matthews
4. Thompson
5. Wallace (Biased)

IMO Sheedy and Malthouse had it, but have lost it.

Thomas is not a good coach.

Daniher is too inconsistent.

In no order:

Matthews, Willams, Sheedy, Pagan and Malthouse

Every coach's success does depend on the players you have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthews, Williams, Sheedy, Pagan and Malthouse are the obvious top 5, but
If Malthouse left I would want Williams, Pagan, Wallace, Thompson, Laidley in that order.

Have to agree Matthews, Williams, Sheedy, Malthouse and Pagan are probably the top 5 at the moment.

I like Paul Roos, he hasnt been a coach for long and seems that he could become better as time goes on.

All time (of current group)

1. Sheedy : The innovator who never stops learning
2. Matthews: A record of success at two clubs
3. Pagan: A great coach of a great team. Jury's out with the Blues.
4. Malthouse: A great coach of a great team. Gets good results with the not so great teams
5. Williams: Changed his approach to reach the ultimate goal

Recent form (last three years)

1. Williams: He slew the Lion
2. Malthouse: He got the Woods to two grannys. Say no more.
3. Matthews: The flags are in the bag
4. Thompson: One of the key ingredients of a greater Geelong.
5. Roos: Another who gets the best out of his group. Always has his thinking cap on.

regards,

REB

Come on guys Neil Craig has to be up there !!

based on 04

1) Pagan - Carltons list is nearly as bad as Adealides still gets them to play well
2) Worsfold - his coaching is great his players let him down more often than not
3) Roos - will coach for 10 years easy
4) Malthouse - see worsfold
5) Matthews - Genius - but didnt have his best year

IMO Worst Coaches

1) Spud - seems like a great fella just couldnt coach
2)Terry Wallace - Same as the Titanic Captain (abandon ship !!)
3) Connelly - with a list like that even G Thomas could had made the finals
4) T Grant - Blind Freddy could get a list that talented to the finals ( although he is growing on me as a coach ) has 1 strategy.
5) Gary McIntosh - led a proud club down the road of disaster

Capitalist said:
5) Gary McIntosh - led a proud club down the road of disaster

Yeah, it was all Gary McIntosh's fault Norwood are in the position they are in now LOL.

In the past few years we have made some terrible off field decisions as well as not recruiting players as well as losing some of the players that we did have. Leigh Matthews himself would be struggling to get the current Norwood group back to where the Redlegs belong.

I think you are mistaken my fellow Redleg, and are more than a little harsh on one of our club's greatest legends.

regards,

REB

Rik E Boy said:
Yeah, it was all Gary McIntosh's fault Norwood are in the position they are in now LOL.

In the past few years we have made some terrible off field decisions as well as not recruiting players as well as losing some of the players that we did have. Leigh Matthews himself would be struggling to get the current Norwood group back to where the Redlegs belong.

I think you are mistaken my fellow Redleg, and are more than a little harsh on one of our club's greatest legends.

regards,

REB

yeah but as a coach he really lacked the ability to lead the players - we all respect him for his playing days but Norwood FC (see another poor decision) has learnt that not all good players are good coaches !!

But Gary was also responisble for recruiting (which over the last few years we have done SFA of),

but good luck to macca in 05 with paynham Norwood Union and go the Legs

2004 only, right?

Best coach of 04 was Williams. His list is only just top 8 material, but he's collected the flag and top spot. Consisent excellent performance from go to woah.

Pagan coached Carlton's second worst ever list (2003 was the worst) to something other than the spoon, which is unbelievable.

Matthews has thrashed his players with a high energy violent sort of game plan, but is still wringing plenty of juice out of their mangled bodies.

Thompson has done well with a fair list, developing some fine kids.

I didn't like Worsfold as a player but as a coach he has them playing exciting productive footy.

Not saying that Leigh Matthews isn't a great coach but I think his reputation has been enhanced by having the fortune to coach the Brisbane Lions over the last few years when in reality any average joe could have coached them.

1. Denis Pagan
2. Kevin Sheedy
3. Mark Williams
4. Leigh Matthews
5. Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back