Top 5 Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Matthews- The best football person ever. One of the best players of all time coaches the best time of all time. Enough said.
2. Denis Pagan- Just brilliant. Has improved Carlton greatly in the time he has been there.
3. Kevin Sheedy- Although I think hes going senile, still is able to win games through his coaching. Without him Essendon would be nowhere near the 16 flags they have currently.
4. Paul Roos- Where he has got with the list is phenomenal. Epitomises the idea that Barassi said, 'Its 18 vs 18'.
5. Mick Malthouse- Did a superb job with WCE and to get the Pies to a GF in 2002 with the list they had win was superb.

Vics Back to Back said:
Using the 2004 coaches over their career
1. Malthouse
2. Sheedy
3. Williams- Alan scott you were wrong
4. Matthews- Gifted maybe, but he got Collingwood out of a losing culture with an ordinary list
5. Pagan
6. Thompson
7. Roos
8. Worsfold
9. D.Laidley
10. P.Schwab
11. N.Daniher
12. P.Rhode
13. D.Frawley
14. C.Connolly- Fat little bastard
15. G.Ayres- Let the club get to old and drop to far
16. G.Thomas- Overrated and gifted with a good list

Type with both hands. That way you will get more blood to your brain and will be able to appear a little more intelligent. F-WIT. :rolleyes:

Vics Back to Back said:
Using the 2004 coaches over their career
1. Malthouse
2. Sheedy
3. Williams- Alan scott you were wrong
4. Matthews- Gifted maybe, but he got Collingwood out of a losing culture with an ordinary list
5. Pagan
6. Thompson
7. Roos
8. Worsfold
9. D.Laidley
10. P.Schwab
11. N.Daniher
12. P.Rhode
13. D.Frawley
14. C.Connolly- Fat little bastard
15. G.Ayres- Let the club get to old and drop to far
16. G.Thomas- Overrated and gifted with a good list

Given that Freo and Melbourne have both had more top draft picks than the Saints, G Thomas can not be on the bottom of the list.

garth p said:
Type with both hands. That way you will get more blood to your brain and will be able to appear a little more intelligent. F-WIT. :rolleyes:
This should be part of the thread How to get particular fans of clubs angry? when saints fans respond without thinking. :)
bangko-bangko said:
Given that Freo and Melbourne have both had more top draft picks than the Saints, G Thomas can not be on the bottom of the list.
Tongue in cheek surely!

cypher said:
This should be part of the thread How to get particular fans of clubs angry? when saints fans respond without thinking. :)

Tongue in cheek surely!

Some idiot rates Thomas the worst coach in the league and you post a crack like that. What are ya smoking. :rolleyes:

I'll give this a go.

1. Mark Williams - To take his team from chokers to premiers despite media scrutiny is a true sign of a great coach.

2. Leigh Matthews - Coach of one of the best teams ever, and still keeps them a force through careful planning, tactics and determination.

3. Mark Thompson - Taking a team which apparently had a poor list, to a top 4 finish is amazing. His determined but calm approach to his team is fantastic.

4. Denis Pagan - Two years ago the Blues were hopeless, and seemingly had little young talent. Now, through the injection of youth, future planning and sheer determination, this team are looking bright again. All in the space of two years...

5. Neil Daniher - Very similar to Pagan. Had good draft picks in 2003, yet they did not create the change of the Demons. It was the second-tier players that stood up in 2004. This happened through the impact of a proud and passionate coach, one whose next big challenge is to improve.

1. Mark Williams - lives, breathes to coach. It's in his blood. I love the passion. I cringe tho whenever he approaches a microphone.
2. Sheedy - You don't coach for 30 years if you don't have "it".
3. Matthews - One of the greatest players of all time. Slipped into coaching naturally. Demands respect from all.
4. Pagan - Achieved good results from ordinary teams.
5. Daniher - Honest country bloke. Achieves best from his players. Deserves respect.

Tongue in cheek surely![/QUOTE]

hmmm actually no.

You should try thinking for youself Cypher. By the end of this year the herd will agree that Thomas is a very good and innovative coach.

I think you're just jealous that we don't have to pay our coach a truck load of money and he has proven to be far too good for your overpaid coach.

In case you have forgotten already

R20 St. Kilda 166 d Carlton 75 Princes Park 22361 16-Aug-2003
R10 St. Kilda 196 d Carlton 88 Docklands 37136 30-May-2004

bangko-bangko said:
Tongue in cheek surely!

hmmm actually no.

You should try thinking for youself Cypher. By the end of this year the herd will agree that Thomas is a very good and innovative coach.

I think you're just jealous that we don't have to pay our coach a truck load of money and he has proven to be far too good for your overpaid coach.

R10 St. Kilda 196 d Carlton 88 Docklands 37136 30-May-2004[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother amen. But then, most of the turkeys on here can't think for themselves . Instead they choose to accept as gospel the cr @p they are fed by the daily scum press,which is by and large, anti Thomas.

daveymagik said:
1. Matthews- The best football person ever. One of the best players of all time coaches the best time of all time. Enough said.
2. Denis Pagan- Just brilliant. Has improved Carlton greatly in the time he has been there.
3. Kevin Sheedy- Although I think hes going senile, still is able to win games through his coaching. Without him Essendon would be nowhere near the 16 flags they have currently.
4. Paul Roos- Where he has got with the list is phenomenal. Epitomises the idea that Barassi said, 'Its 18 vs 18'.
5. Mick Malthouse- Did a superb job with WCE and to get the Pies to a GF in 2002 with the list they had win was superb.

No WILLIAMS?, your "as sharp as a bowling ball" (foghorn leghorn)

The media is further up St Kildas ass than they are up Saint James and Essenscum

Grant Thomas is the most overrated coach in the history of football and Vics back to back was very kind to rank Grant Thomas that highly. A lot of assistant coaches would be ranked higher than him in my mind.

Just think for a minute, if Grant Thomas wasnt coaching St Kilda next year and there were a couple of coaching jobs up for grabs, would any club want Thomas? Answer no (unless he has a mate on that clubs board as we all know thats the only reason why he is coach of St Kilda)

bangko-bangko said:
Tongue in cheek surely!

hmmm actually no.

R10 St. Kilda 196 d Carlton 88 Docklands 37136 30-May-2004[/QUOTE]

I doubt coaching ability comes into a 91 and 108 point losses. Talent does, like when Pagan's north thrashed Thomas's saints. Pagan earns every cent and Butters would take him over GT anyday.
Disagree? I don't know how you could say otherwise and be truthfull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's talent when Pagans team thrashes another, but not when GT does. I think you should take your blinkers off and be truthful to yourself. You sound like a John Elliott type.

When Carlton win the spoon this year will you still think Pagan is worth every cent?

bangko-bangko said:
So it's talent when Pagans team thrashes another, but not when GT does. I think you should take your blinkers off and be truthful to yourself. You sound like a John Elliott type.

When Carlton win the spoon this year will you still think Pagan is worth every cent?

you can't reason with these clowns, BB.On top of the brain-washing from the press, they are so blinded by hate and envy, they are never going to concede an inch.

I would be horrified if the Saints tried to employ Pagan, chypher, you moron, just as I was when there was talk of getting either of those losers, now coaching the tiggers and the bullies.

Thomas is a home grown product and he will do the Saints fine. We are finished with employing a-holes from other clubs.

cypher said:
hmmm actually no.

R10 St. Kilda 196 d Carlton 88 Docklands 37136 30-May-2004

I doubt coaching ability comes into a 91 and 108 point losses. Talent does, like when Pagan's north thrashed Thomas's saints. Pagan earns every cent and Butters would take him over GT anyday.
Disagree? I don't know how you could say otherwise and be truthfull.[/QUOTE]

Lack of coaching ability was why Pagan put Side Show Fevg onto Fraser. Blew up bigtime, and don't give me any of that mumbo jumbo crap of tying to teach fevola a thing or two. :rolleyes:

garth p said:
you can't reason with these clowns, BB.On top of the brain-washing from the press, they are so blinded by hate and envy, they are never going to concede an inch.
What have the saints achieved to be envious of?
Why would we hate St Kilda considering their success against us?
Lemmings!

We'll see in 2005 and 2006 whether or not Grant Thomas is a good coach.

Opinions are already moderating on him due to St Kilda finishing third this year, but the most significant thing that everyone must concede is that in every year he has coached St Kilda they have improved.

For teams like Brisbane and Port Adelaide, this would be a difficult achievement, but no other coach can claim a record like that!

Many of the top rated coaches have flaws:

Matthews might not have had his best year, but his real failing might be the lack of development of youth to replace the aging stars.

Pagan is a great motivator, but what really has he done in 2004? He took a mediochre team into a mediochre position - wow.

Malthouse had a shocking year - not just due to injury, because other teams have had to cope with similar problems - the injuries have shown up the genuine lack of depth in the team and Malthouse's own deficiency in being impotent to motivate the replacement players to cover for their injuries.

Sheedy hasn't impressed me either - an ordinary season tactically and an ordinary performance by his team overall.

Williams is the one coach who did impress me, I didn't think he had the grey matter to alter his game plan that had been letting his team down in recent years (worked fine in H&A matches but failed in finals) but he did and his name and Ports are down in the record books because of it.

I reckon that Mark Williams will never win another flag in his life, and still go down as a hero to the Port Adealide faithful, but he will ultimatly be rememberd as an under acheiving coach who's team mostly choked.

bloodsports said:
I reckon that Mark Williams will never win another flag in his life, and still go down as a hero to the Port Adealide faithful, but he will ultimatly be rememberd as an under acheiving coach who's team mostly choked.

Whats your name....Allan Scott!!

Top 5 Over past years

1. Blight - Did good things with Geelong and took Adelaide to winning two grand finals with a list that was lucky making finals let alone winning flags
2. Matthews - A hat trick + Collingwood
3. Pagan - No reasons needed
4. Sheedy - Was unlucky, could have won more but has had great elasticity
5. Malthouse - Similar to Pagan, could have won a few more cups

Top 5 04

1. Williams
2. Matthews
3. Thompson
4. Roos
5. Worsfold / Thomas ( credit where its due, good recovery to beat swans after being demolished )

garth p said:
I would be horrified if the Saints tried to employ Pagan.
:D
Lack of coaching ability was why Pagan put Side Show Fev onto Fraser.
Pagan is a great motivator, but what really has he done in 2004? He took a mediochre team into a mediochre position - wow.

LMFAO...Good way to get over a hangover. Saints supporters don't rate Pagan. Hehehehe

RoK said:
1. Pagan - Will get the Blues out of trouble
2. Sheedy - Just read the mans record
3. Matthews - As above
4. Malthouse - 2 GF's ina row with a crap list.
5. Williams - Won a GF with half a list.

Any really could be #1 all great.

Wallace in 6th place till he wins a flag.

As for Thomas he is far from being a top coach,he has a great list and has yet to do anything with a list i could coach to a GF.

You must know something Malcolm Blight didn't.

I'm confused.

Can someone please tell me again, why St.Kilda's list is supposedly so good?

No ruckmen, no backmen yet apparently have a list that 'anyone could coach to a flag'.

I don't get it??

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back