Top 5 Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Pagan 2004's best. Traded well, got his robot "do what I say" types, transformed a list from absolute rubbish, to barely ok but made it work, and will continue to do so.

Rik E Boy said:
Recent form (last three years)

1. Williams: He slew the Lion
2. Malthouse: He got the Woods to two grannys. Say no more.
3. Matthews: The flags are in the bag

4. Thompson: One of the key ingredients of a greater Geelong.
5. Roos: Another who gets the best out of his group. Always has his thinking cap on.

regards,

REB
These 2 should be switched. In the last 3 years Matthews got the Lions to all 3 GFs and won 2 of them.

1. Pagan - Will get the Blues out of trouble
2. Sheedy - Just read the mans record
3. Matthews - As above
4. Malthouse - 2 GF's ina row with a crap list.
5. Williams - Won a GF with half a list.

Any really could be #1 all great.

Wallace in 6th place till he wins a flag.

As for Thomas he is far from being a top coach,he has a great list and has yet to do anything with a list i could coach to a GF.

shacka said:
Best in my time (in alphabetical order, it's too hard to rank them, too many variables)...

Blight
Matthews
Pagan
Parkin
Williams

Don't allow your Essendon hatred to obscure your view of reality. :rolleyes:

Top 5 coaches....

1. Sheedy....record speaks for itself...I hate him but envy the success he has brought the bombers and how many times he has rebuilt the club...

2. Malthouse....His feats at Collingwood in the last 4 years go largely unrecogninzed cos its not fashinable to praise a collingwood coach. Brought us back from oblivion and made us competitve with an inferior list...Injuries hurt this year..10 yrs worth of consecutive finals appearances at WCE

3.Matthews...cant overestimate three flags on the trot..Line ball with Malty.
Went with him at pick 3 as Brisbanes success is somewhat tainted by concessions through cap and draft allowances in the mid 90's and up until recently...

4.Pagan.....Record and experiance on his side...If he makes Carlton successful from where they will have come from it will be a mighty effort, and ultimatley make him one of the best...Simple game plan at the roos was heavily centered around the big number 18...probably the best off all time...

5.Williams....Out of the New generation coaches pick of the litter.Forget Thomson and Daniher, Williams has had a shocking run of injuries in recent times and has managed three straight minor flags, a premiership and a couple of night flags...Possibly the best strategist of the lot...

Up and Coming...

Wallace....Not really up and coming but I hate the fact he is at richmond cos he will make a team out of em...Unless that old wretched richmond knife finds it's way into the back of him which Iam quietly hoping for...Ultimaley did not achieve the big one at the dogs but made them everyone's second side for a long time...his doggy enthusiasim has been curbed by his exeperiance and acquired wisdon which he will make good with at Tigerland...

Roos.....Shows all the hallmarks of a premiership coach in waiting...Knows how to dig out a find...ie Okeefe, Schneider and the like. Calm and always in control, very approachable similar to a youthful Wallace at the dogs...Again like Wallace seems to have a bit of an Innovative brain...

Worsfold...has the anger that in his approach that made him feared as a player...Seems to have assembled a capable engine room at WCE and seemingly not too far from having a decent spine....Interesting to see what come of the weagles when he moulds an all round team...

OVer-Rated....
Thomson...Sheez Cats fans all think they have one hand on next years cup...and granted they had a decent side on the paddock this year but I'd love to see that side with a Sheedy or Matthews at the Helm...Sometimes looks look lost in wonderment...Cats shoulda made a prelim final two years ago with this squad...Whatever sports bet is offering for the Catts win the flag next year Iam happy to quadruple...

G Thomas..Been handed a gimme of a side, one that would make Thomson look bone fide......How do you demean the role of being a club captain??/...well ensure everyone has a crack at it including the boot studder...Having said all that get used to either Riewoldt/Ball/Kosi? or whoever else is captain in a couple of years holding up premiership cup....

finally....N daniher....
been around for too long a time...has his good qualities but should have been able to have formed a side by now that could be a deadset contender for the big one...Have got some good young kids coming up but would you trust their development with this bloke??

I don't understand? We could coach the Saints to a premiership with their list but we can't because of their losing culture?... Which one is it? :confused:

cypher said:
Thomas has never been it.

Still waiting for you to grow up and keep a lid on it.
What's this thread have to do with JD?
Typical Joffaboy, JD and The Fireman to change the subject when they've lost the argument.Besides the question was did a Pagan make a move not that he was better in head to heads. Keep dreaming it's the only place you see premierships.
was there a subject changed :confused: Answer the question Cypher or disappear into obscurity, ahh what am I doin, your too easy, anyway as far as coaches are concerned Sheeds has always fascinated me, I give him number 1.
Impressed by Wallace in his prime,
Mathews, great but had the cattle same is being said about GT now.(refering to the cattle)
Malthouse achieved a fair bit with what he had.

Cobb & Co's were pretty good coaches aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using the 2004 coaches over their career
1. Malthouse
2. Sheedy
3. Williams- Alan scott you were wrong
4. Matthews- Gifted maybe, but he got Collingwood out of a losing culture with an ordinary list
5. Pagan
6. Thompson
7. Roos
8. Worsfold
9. D.Laidley
10. P.Schwab
11. N.Daniher
12. P.Rhode
13. D.Frawley
14. C.Connolly- Fat little bastard
15. G.Ayres- Let the club get to old and drop to far
16. G.Thomas- Overrated and gifted with a good list

Allblack said:
I dont think you could make a list like that without a premirship to your name.

Daniher has done nothing to stop the Dees Roller Coaster.

Thompson has had one really solid year

That list is ridiculous.

Malthouse made consecutive Grand Finals with a pretty average list and won a couple at WCE

Sheedy has won enough Premierships to keep even the fussiest of us bomber fans happy and rarely misses September action.

Pagan has proven himself time and time again even with a terrile list at the Blues

List should read

1. Matthews
2. or 3. Sheedy or Malthouse
4. Pagan
5. Williams

agree here totally

and just stress , what pagan did with that list last year was amazing 2 say the least

All of the Catter Thompson knockers should remember just how dire it was down at Catland when he took over. We had no cash, just lost our captain and coach and an ageing list. Thompson has developed as a coach as Geelong has been developing as a team over the full period of his tenure.

While we might have made the finals in 2002 we hit one mighty speed hump in the form of the Brisbane Lions who squashed us flat in a brutal display on our own deck. That's not an excuse but a description of what happened on the day. Any young side would have and have been taken aback after an assualt from the mighty Lions at their best. I think it was a case of we 'could' have made the finals that year rather than a case of 'should' have made the finals.

Geelong will get better...whether total package and the rest of you Cat knockers like it or not. I just wish it would happen a lot more quickly.

regards,

REB

Marns said:
Well, I thought I would steal one of these of sydney_eagle.
Who do you believe to be the top 5 coaches in the league?

I cant go past Mark Williams for no.1, so...

1. Williams (Port)
2. Thompson (Geelong)
3. Daniher (Melbourne - I think the test will be 2005, that will show how good he and the Dees are, being our supposed 'bad' year)
4. Matthews (Brisbane)
5. Pagan (Carlton)

Your joking. aren't you. How about rating them in their proper order.

1. Matthews (proven track record.)

2. Williams (finished top three years in a row and won a premership)

3. Pagan (proven record)

4. Sheedy (as much as it pains me, but he has stood the test of time)

5. Thomas (took the saints within an inch of a grand final berth two years before the experts predicted)....history will be kind to Grant.

Of your selections,Thompson is a whining joke but TD is a good coach. Just not as good as Thomas. :cool:

1.Pagan.Considering what resources Pagan had at North and Carlton compared to Essendon,West Coast and Collingwood I would have to rate Pagan as number one. His appointment by Elliott would be IMHO the best football decision Elliott made.
2. Matthews. Underrated as a coach till he won 3 flags in a row which is amazing in a national comp. Best media performer out of all coaches.
3. Mark Williams- Premiership earned him the respect that was long overdue.
4. Malthouse- Got Collingwood to GF's with an adequate list.
5. Sheedy- Should have won more flags with his resources.
6. Roos - Brilliant coach. Certain to have a long career and lots of job offers if swans have a brainfade and let him go.
7. Thompson. Hard to split thompson and Worsfold as both have 2 of the next up and coming powers.
8. Worsfold. Roos outcoached him so he's at 8
9. Neale Daniher. Has to get the demons to fire this year or the question marks over his tenure as coach willl reappear.
10. Dean Laidley. Feel he'll be the next coach to be sacked considering he's traded potential for hasbeens in McKernan and Thompson. Not much star quality coming through at North other than Wells and Jesse W.Smith.
11.Grant Thomas. Lucky he put together a great list as an official before miraculously stepping into the coaching job.
12. Connolly.Continued Freo's great tradition of being the worst trader in the A.F.L
13.Peter Rohde.Very stiff considering they beat the saints and footscray's players can still sacktheir coaches.
14. Gary Ayres.What you reap is what you sow. Carey trade sealed his fate.
15. Peter Schwab. Too much of a nice guy and sealed his fate with his comments that they were going to win the flag.
16.Danny Frawley.Sooky Sooky La La.

cypher said:
1.Pagan.Considering what resources Pagan had at North and Carlton compared to Essendon,West Coast and Collingwood I would have to rate Pagan as number one. His appointment by Elliott would be IMHO the best football decision Elliott made.
2. Matthews. Underrated as a coach till he won 3 flags in a row which is amazing in a national comp. Best media performer out of all coaches.
3. Mark Williams- Premiership earned him the respect that was long overdue.
4. Malthouse- Got Collingwood to GF's with an adequate list.
5. Sheedy- Should have won more flags with his resources.
6. Roos - Brilliant coach. Certain to have a long career and lots of job offers if swans have a brainfade and let him go.
7. Thompson. Hard to split thompson and Worsfold as both have 2 of the next up and coming powers.
8. Worsfold. Roos outcoached him so he's at 8
9. Neale Daniher. Has to get the demons to fire this year or the question marks over his tenure as coach willl reappear.
10. Dean Laidley. Feel he'll be the next coach to be sacked considering he's traded potential for hasbeens in McKernan and Thompson. Not much star quality coming through at North other than Wells and Jesse W.Smith.
11.Grant Thomas. Lucky he put together a great list as an official before miraculously stepping into the coaching job.
12. Connolly.Continued Freo's great tradition of being the worst trader in the A.F.L
13.Peter Rohde.Very stiff considering they beat the saints and footscray's players can still sacktheir coaches.
14. Gary Ayres.What you reap is what you sow. Carey trade sealed his fate.
15. Peter Schwab. Too much of a nice guy and sealed his fate with his comments that they were going to win the flag.
16.Danny Frawley.Sooky Sooky La La.

Putting Pagan no.1 ruins your credability. How many senior premerships would Pagan have won without Carey, Stevens and Archer. :rolleyes:

cypher said:

We won 8 games in 2 years, but that doesn't matter cos we beat the Saints :eek: I liked Rohde cos he seemes honest and a top bloke, but I feel much more confident with Rocket at the helm.

garth p said:
Putting Pagan no.1 ruins your credability. How many senior premerships would Pagan have won without Carey, Stevens and Archer. :rolleyes:

How many would Williams have without Tredrea and the Cornes brothers???? Or Malthouse without Jackovich, Kemp and Matera??? Matthews without the Fab 4 or without Shaw, Daicos and Millane???

Every Premiership coach there has ever been had a good side

The_Flying_Egg said:
We won 8 games in 2 years, but that doesn't matter cos we beat the Saints :eek: I liked Rohde cos he seemes honest and a top bloke, but I feel much more confident with Rocket at the helm.
Didn't mean that to be the gist of that comment.It's just amazing that the Bulldogs which had a disasterous season under Rohde managed to knock off the saints and then only win one more game for the year.

garth p said:
Did Brisbane win the flag this year with Brown, Voss and Michael or the Saints with Riewoldt, Harvey and Gehrigl?
Maybe it's just the universal opinion of GT's ability held by non-saints fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back