Top 5 Midfields 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

1 - Sydney (Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, Papley, Grundy)

2 - Carlton (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, De Koning)

3 - Fremantle (Serong, Brayshaw, Young, O’Meara, Fyfe, Darcy, Jackson)

4 - Bulldogs (Bontempelli, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Macrae, Sanders, English)

5 - Port Adelaide (Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Drew, Wines, Sweet)

6 - Brisbane (Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage,
Berry, Rayner, Big O)

7 - Hawthorn (Day, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash, Ward, Mackenzie, D’Ambrosio, Meek)

8 - GWS (Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Callaghan, Ward, Briggs)

Honourable mentions:
Collingwood
(NDaicos, De Goey, Crisp, Mitchell, Pendlebury, JDaicos, Cameron)
Gold Coast (Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Witts)
North Melbourne - (LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Powell, Simpkin, Xerri)
Melbourne - (Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Sparrow, Pickett)
Some teams have multiple rucks listed and some have wings listed and others don't.
If Darcy gets a mention for Freo, then Pitto should for Blues (averaging 6 clearances per game, which is more than Rowbottom, Grundy, Warner and Gulden).
If JDiacos can be listed for Pies, then Acres should be for Blues.
If JOM can be listed for Freo, then EHollands should be for Blues.

Carlton (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, De Koning, Pittonet, Acres, EHollands)

I'm sure there's players missing from other team's rotations too.

Maybe on paper but our total clearance differential (Gold Coast have us beat on centre clearances, we beat them on stoppage), contested possession, hardball and groundball differential is superior to the Gold Coast.

Teams are the sum of their parts not just the individuals.
Plus, our mids turn up in away games.

Hawks midfield far inferior to Gold Coast:

HAW: Day/Worpel/Newcombe/Nash
GC: Anderson/Flanders/Miller/Rowell
Performance has been taken into consideration. Both clearances, around the ground post clearance, and scoring from clearance. I also took into account wings and outside midfielders. Names on paper are good but performance is king, it’s never black and white..

I'd drop Port down to 7 or 8. It’s great and young, but reckon it underperforms relative to expectation. The way they rolled over against Brisbane earlier this year was awful.
That’s true, inconsistent. But overall performance of the season still has them highly rated, the difference is they never break even on bad days, they smash sides or get smashed.

Some teams have multiple rucks listed and some have wings listed and others don't.
If Darcy gets a mention for Freo, then Pitto should for Blues (averaging 6 clearances per game, which is more than Rowbottom, Grundy, Warner and Gulden).

Carlton (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, De Koning, Pittonet, Acres, EHollands)

Very true, it was a generalised thing. Players would’ve slipped my mind, definitely agree with you.

I don’t follow Carlton closely, but is Pittonet even b22 when De Koning is playing?

I don’t follow Carlton closely, but is Pittonet even b22 when De Koning is playing?
It's a fair question. Depends on the lineup we need for the opposition. We've been favouring 1 ruck a bit, but have chosen to go into certain games with 2. He's only played 2 less games than Darcy.

With Cam Rayner starting to have serious high impact moments in the midfield the Lions midfield group is looking pretty good.

Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage, Josh Dunkley, Jarrod Berry, Will Ashcroft, Cam Rayner, Zac Bailey, Jaspa Fletcher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes after 20 rounds
In the top 20

Swans 3
Heeney
Gulden
Warner

Freo 3
Serong
Brayshaw
Young

Blues 2
Cripps
Walsh

Dogs 2
Bont
Treloar

Lions 2
Neale
Dunkley

Port 2
Butters
JHF
Not the best way to calculate midfield performance. Sydney and Freo's extra midfielder is just a sign that neither have a good key forward to take coaches votes away. Put a Coleman medalist in either side and one of those midfielders stops making the top 20.

Not the best way to calculate midfield performance. Sydney and Freo's extra midfielder is just a sign that neither have a good key forward to take coaches votes away. Put a Coleman medalist in either side and one of those midfielders stops making the top 20.
Clark and Ryan have done well with votes.
no coleman but having the number 1 defence (points against) costs our midfield votes

Do you have the updated one? Would thing Dogs and Port would be on the up.
It’s pretty much the same
Butters and jhf might have a better ranking in the 20 but rozee hasn’t got near it.
We know coaches votes heavily favour winning teams for freo to have 3 in the 20 and not be in the 8 shows the power of the midfield group.

It’s pretty much the same
Butters and jhf might have a better ranking in the 20 but rozee hasn’t got near it.
We know coaches votes heavily favour winning teams for freo to have 3 in the 20 and not be in the 8 shows the power of the midfield group.
Interestingly the AFL Brownlow Predictor has Rozee up with Butters and Walsh
Had an elite start of the year, possibly 12 votes in first 5 rounds

AA SQUAD REP 2024 Top 5 midfields
Tie breaker team ladder position

1) Sydney(3) Warner Heeney Gulden

2) Freo(3) Serong Brayshaw Young

3) Port(2) Butters JHF

4) Dogs(2) Bont Trelor

5) Pies(2) Daicos Cameron
Lots of quality in the Freo midfield for sure. And on paper the best ruck combo.

Just need to bring in 3-4 gun defenders and forwards and I can see them sneaking into finals within the next 3 years.

AA SQUAD REP 2024 Top 5 midfields
Tie breaker team ladder position

1) Sydney(3) Warner Heeney Gulden

2) Freo(3) Serong Brayshaw Young

3) Port(2) Butters JHF

4) Dogs(2) Bont Trelor

5) Pies(2) Daicos Cameron

Pies midfield rep is a HB flanker and ruckman.

No wonder they missed the 8 lol.

Pies midfield rep is a HB flanker and ruckman.

No wonder they missed the 8 lol.
I don't often find myself backing up Collingwood, but you clearly haven't watched N.Daicos play this year if you still think he is a HBF.

He is 2nd in the competition for Centre Clearances per game (behind Cripps) and averages the same amount of Centre Bounce Attendances per game that Cripps does.

In fact he attends more Centre Bounces than anyone else in the Collingwood team (except for Darcy Cameron)

I don't often find myself backing up Collingwood, but you clearly haven't watched N.Daicos play this year if you still think he is a HBF.

He is 2nd in the competition for Centre Clearances per game (behind Cripps) and averages the same amount of Centre Bounce Attendances per game that Cripps does.

In fact he attends more Centre Bounces than anyone else in the Collingwood team (except for Darcy Cameron)
They missed having Tom Mitchell in there this year he is a very different player to their stars in there and compliments them very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 Midfields 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back