Top 5 set shots in AFL at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think many people out side Richmond no how good Vickery is. No intro needed for Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin from +50 Kicked 3/4 set shots from out side 50 and kicked them all so far this year.

Absolutely spot on.

I read an article on the AFL website recently that had him (Vickory) as the no 1 set shot in the comp and Reiwodlt no 3(I think josh kenenedy was no 2)

I just have to laugh at people on here putting players from their own clubs in-eg Monfries...please

Vickory definately no 1 for mine

^^ Your team's the best!!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Surprisingly Richmond have been very good from set shots this year, excluding a couple of guys. It probably has something to do with where we take set shots from whereas teams like Fremantle who are the least accurate seem to line up from the pocket regularly. Riewoldt Martin Vickery are the 3 most reliable.

Vickery is something like 13.2 from set shots this year

Still I get your point when I read posts like "surprised Trent Dennis-Lane hasn't got a mention"...

Surprisingly Richmond have been very good from set shots this year, excluding a couple of guys. It probably has something to do with where we take set shots from whereas teams like Fremantle who are the least accurate seem to line up from the pocket regularly. Riewoldt Martin Vickery are the 3 most reliable.

Vickery is something like 13.2 from set shots this year

Still I get your point when I read posts like "surprised Trent Dennis-Lane hasn't got a mention"...

I know he has gone through a horror run of injuries and hardly played this year and struggle through last year, but when fit Jason Porplyzia is a very accurate kick for goal. Like Lecras and Riewoldt his style is nothing elobarate just perfectly correct, walks dead straight, leans well over the ball and kicks through it dead straight.

I do like Kennedy's action however, it works well for him and is simple, he just staggers in off a few steps and slots it through no dramas.

mmm, dunno, but from Carlton I'd have Kreuzer and Walker.

Surely you jest? What about Warnock?

No one from Geelong. Chapman, Stokes and Varcoe are closest to best set shots at club, but....

I know he has gone through a horror run of injuries and hardly played this year and struggle through last year, but when fit Jason Porplyzia is a very accurate kick for goal. Like Lecras and Riewoldt his style is nothing elobarate just perfectly correct, walks dead straight, leans well over the ball and kicks through it dead straight.

I do like Kennedy's action however, it works well for him and is simple, he just staggers in off a few steps and slots it through no dramas.

Agree Porps is a dead eye.

I laugh at people who don't have Edwards as their number one. He has missed one set shot this year. He is 47.7 over the last two years, he is clearly head and shoulders above anyone else. If anyone ever watches North games you'll see how accurate that kid is!

LeCras and J.Riewoldt probably the next best.

Edwards seems to have so many tools... it's a bit hard to figure out why he isn't a star. Clearly his conversion has been exemplary.

As a Carlton fan I can say it stuns me beyond belief that Andrew Walker gets a mention in this thread - and from non-Carlton fans no less. He used to be a SHOCKING kick. That was the biggest knock on him! Field kicking, goal kicking, you name it, he couldn't do it.l But he has got his act together in a HUGE way this year. Yeh he's kicked some from the goal-square (as has everyone else mentioned in the thread), but the set shots he's planting over the umpire's hat from tight angles, from 55m out and at key times in the game (Adelaide matchwinner) are extraordinary. What a transformation! Apparently you can teach this stuff.

From Melbourne, Sylvia, Jurrah and Watts are all pretty automatic from 35m out straight in front. If there was ever an AFL-style penalty shootout they'd be my first 3 picked. Green used to be a dead-eye too, but has lost the plot in his old age.

I think Aaron Edwards owns this thread though. Others who never seem to miss include Vickery, Pendlebury, Dennis-Lane, LeCras, J. Riewoldt.

I would go

-- Aaron Edwards. Just does not look like missing. In an amazing streak of form, has tightened his technique and he'd probably have no problem kicking it into a basketball hoop the way he is going.
-- Jack Reiwoldt. Simple technique. Has confidence in his technique and that makes all the difference.
-- Liam Jurrah. Looks like he's playing kick-to-kick with the goal umpire. Doesnt tighten up like a lot of players tend to do when kicking for goal
-- Mark LeCras. Perfect technique
-- Mark Williams 2006 model. Left-field nomination for lols. He was automatic back then.

Btw, if Lindsay Thomas or Lachie Hansen were shooting at goal with my life on the line, I'd probably save them the trouble and shoot myself before hand. At least I get to die on my terms.

No idea who taught Lachie. It is a shocking technique, stuttering run up, ball wobbling everywhere, not balanced, he even misses in warm up. Thomas has a good technique, he just doesnt use it atm.

Edwards seems to have so many tools... it's a bit hard to figure out why he isn't a star. Clearly his conversion has been exemplary.

He's six foot tall.

That's his main problem.

That and our midfield delivery has been awful at times.

Although, since being dropped at the start of this year, he seems to have gone back and realised that with some other players with a similar mould around him (Warren, McKinley) this was probably his last year. Doing some great things off the ball at times this year.

If we had four Aaron Edwards and Petrie in the forward line we'd be undefeated. Our inaccuracy is sixteenth in the competition and that includes Edwards who has kicked 22.2 Amazing really.

Vickery is the best set shot on our list. He doesn't get them in easy spots, either. Jack Riewoldt is probably the best in the league from 35-40m, any angle, but further out than that he's not quite as good (and he cant curl them from the pockets when he's that far out, and beyond 50 he changes his technique in a straight shot to get more distance).

Sylvia seems to slot quite a few from everywhere, no worries. Aaron Edwards is obviously another standout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On this seasons form I would have darling ahead of LeCras for us, LeCras missed some sitters(by his standards) when he came back from injury, darling hardly misses anything.

in my opinion

Adelaide: Dangerfield
Brisbane: Brown
Carlton: Walker
Collingwood: Dawes
Essendon: Ryder
Fremantle: Bradley
Geelong: Chapman
Gold Coast: G Ablett
Hawthorn: Roughead
Melbourne: Sylvia
North: Edwards
Port: Gray
Richmond: Riewoldt
St. Kilda: Goddard
Sydney: McGlynn
West Coast: LeCras
Bulldogs: Hall

AFL: Edwards

Jobe Watson has rarely missed from set shots this year

Got him. Took until page 5 but someone finally landed Watson. Amazing there's so little love for him on this thread?

If I was to have one current AFL player kicking a set shot from inside 40 for my life, it'd have to be Jobe Watson.

A little like Wayne Campbell used to be at Tigerland. See him kick around the ground and it looked rushed and haphazard. But put him anywhere inside reasonable scoring range with 30 seconds on his side and you could ink it into your Footy Record before it'd left his boot.

Jack Anthony wouldnt have played more than 2 games of senior footy if it weren't for the fact that he was the best set shot kick going round.

Chapman is also very good.

From Collingwood the best 2 set shots are Didak and Dawes. Pendebury is good but I think people are overrating his set shots a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 set shots in AFL at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back