Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Romain Bardet (DSM/FRA)

• Eddie Dunbar (JAY/IRE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nor is Remco's descending. I think he'll edge it but it won't be easy.
I have Remco, but Rogla will be more dangerous on the steeper climbs.

Feels like Jonas' to lose. Tadej wanted to put a lot of time into him today, hence the control and the attack early. He ended up losing a second.

Now that is a big statement. Jonas beating Pog in a sprint tells you he was absolutely cooked. In hindsight if he knew I’m sure he’d have tested him on that last climb.

One of Remco’s better days. Stuck at it, conceded a small amount of time and would’ve been even less if he could descend. Still worry about him for week 3 for the podium and white jersey. I expect Rodriguez to be strong then and one bad day can flip things.

For me, we end up at:

Jonas
Tadej (2-ish minutes)
Remco (around 5 minutes)
Primoz (8/9 minutes)
Carlos (12+ minutes)

After that, who knows? With Jonas so close I think UAE have to abandon the placings for Yates, Almeida and Ayuso and bury themselves for Tadej. Which opens the door for Gee, Gall, Buitrago and even Healy for potential top 10 spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know whether or not the moto hit Roglic after his fall?

SBS showed the footage of him going down on his own, but it cut as soon as he hit the deck. The footage they showed earlier appeared to show him disentangling his bike from the moto. They didn't show the bits in between.

The moto clearly didn't cause the fall, but it was very close behind him at the time. I'm wondering if it hit him or his bike, while he/it were on the ground?

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

SBS showed the footage of him going down on his own, but it cut as soon as he hit the deck. The footage they showed earlier appeared to show him disentangling his bike from the moto. They didn't show the bits in between.

The moto clearly didn't cause the fall, but it was very close behind him at the time. I'm wondering if it hit him or his bike, while he/it were on the ground?

Roglic was to the right so the moto would've had to change direction to hit him. I'd wager it was the bike

You have have been right eth-dog

Jonas looked good last night. I thought he would drop away

Roglic was to the right so the moto would've had to change direction to hit him. I'd wager it was the bike
I thought he fell right on the apex of the corner. He was turning into the corner, passing from right to left across the front of the moto. The moto appeared to be very close to him when they cut the video during the post-race replay.

Roglic and the moto took different lines into the corner, but they appeared likely to intersect right at the point where he went down.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roglic has apparently been given the same time as Evenepoul, under the 3km rule (his crash was 1.8 km from the finish line). I'm surprised the 3km rule was applied to this stage - I thought it was only applicable to flat stages, where the sprinters are expected to dominate. This was categorised as a Mountain stage, so I wouldn't have expected the 3 km rule to be applied.

Roglic has apparently been given the same time as Evenepoul, under the 3km rule (his crash was 1.8 km from the finish line). I'm surprised the 3km rule was applied to this stage - I thought it was only applicable to flat stages, where the sprinters are expected to dominate. This was categorised as a Mountain stage, so I wouldn't have expected the 3 km rule to be applied.
I think it's just a broad rule nowadays. I remember the Vuelta Evenepoel won that when Roglic crashed (which ultimately forced his abandonment) he got the same time as Pederson, Ackermann etc despite being a "hilly" stage.

Didn't hit him. He follows Remco through the corner, back wheel slides out and the moto stops just in time.

Didn't hit him. He follows Remco through the corner, back wheel slides out and the moto stops just in time.
It's the bolded bit I'm querying - and I haven't seen conclusive evidence either way from the TV footage.

The TV footage clearly shows his back wheel sliding out, and him going down due to rider error. There is no suggestion that the moto caused his crash. I am only querying whether or not the moto "stopped just in time", avoiding driving over him and/or his bike.

However, there's no mention in any of the media articles suggesting that contact was made - only that he fell. This suggests that the moto did indeed manage to stop just in time.

I think it's just a broad rule nowadays. I remember the Vuelta Evenepoel won that when Roglic crashed (which ultimately forced his abandonment) he got the same time as Pederson, Ackermann etc despite being a "hilly" stage.

It's not supposed to be. That Vuelta stage was a lot flatter than this one, those guys (Mads, Ackerman) were no chance of finishing in the front group here. I also don't think it should apply when the rider getting the benefit causes his own crash.

After the weekend the final GC will look a bit clearer. This Jumbo team is not setting up any stages. If they used all their guys to pace UAE would still have 3-4 left which defies the reason for hard pacing climbs. UAE could just go defensive, let the break take bonuses and Pog and Yates just mark any Vingegaard attacks if he tries anything. Without Roglic on the descent the gap could have been bigger but he is certainly the best climber in the race.

The big question from last night is whether Pog's fade out was temporary (i.e. hunger flat) or due to the accumulated fatigue from racing the Giro?

Jonas has admitted that he was surprised that Pog didn't put lengths into him in the sprints for both the KotM on the last climb and the finish line. Pog was just lacking his usual punch. Why?

As Orange Agent says, we'll know more after the weekend. If Pog continues to fade, then it will become obvious that he's suffering the fatigue effects of backing up from the Giro. If he rides away again, like he did on the Puy Mary, then it will be clear that his problems last night were just due to a lack of food & water while on the course.

Even with a fading Pog, there are still only two plausible winners for this year's Tour - Jonas & Pog. Roglic & Evenepoul simply can't go with them on the climbs, and there are still 4x HC/Cat1 summit finishes to come.

Tour de France 2024

Back