List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got to agree, in broad terms. I have no idea why people think we must keep Varcoe if we trade Christensen. I'd prefer Clark, personally.

No idea why? Doesn't seem a huge stretch, given that we would be losing a fast ball carrying player in Bundy, so holding on to Varcoe might not be a bad idea. It's worth keeping in mind that Varcoe's best games came late in the season when he was in fact dipping in and out of Bundy's mid field role in his absence. Of course, for the Varcoe haters, this was just a mythical matter of Varcoe deciding to pull his finger out.

I'm not saying they should keep Varcoe, but it's hardly a weird suggestion at all to keep Varcoe as a similarly pacey mid abruptly departs at the same time (and we are already slow!).

Also, with regard Clark, do we really need to lose Varcoe for him. Melbourne hold little power in that exchange.

Um... Ok...

Try living here...
I do live here and LOVE it. Wouldn't want to move anywhere (maybe a holiday home on the surf coast someday) but Geelong is my kind of place. Melbourne's too big for me. Nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited:

Just for context, here are the past seven pick 5s:

2007 Jarrad Grant
2008 Michael Hurley
2009 Ben Cunnington (Allen's draft year)
2010 Jared Polec
2011 Matthew Buntine
2012 Jake Stringer
2013 Kade Kolodjashnij
No no, obviously you should do what people do here, which is take the fifth best player with the benefit of hindsight and treat pick 5 as being worth the equivalent of that player.

25 is probably about right, all things being equal. But who knows what will happen. Depends how badly Brisbane want him, and what they're willing to give up. Cats might even take 25 and a later pick too.

Not even close. Bundy is a gun and probably our most talented kid next to motlop (you could make an argument for Duncan, but I think bundy offers a little more, and caddy looks great but has no where near the same runs on the board). Bundy is the equal of most of gold coast's really good kids - if he has to go we should aim for one of them or maybe even luenberger (risky I know). Pick 25 might get you an average player or might be a complete bust. Go back through previous drafts and you'll see how hit and miss twenty something picks are. Bundy is top shelf.

Last edited:
if i didn't live in the middle of nowhere i would go binge on fast food to make myself feel better. maccas is about 2 hours away, and kfc about 3 hours, so i guess i will just have to drink lots instead. my town has 4 hardware stores and 5 bottle-o's, just nowhere to buy food.
I've had 4 chocolate bars, 3 extra-shot coffees and a bag of chili chips. All I feel is queasy, now. Went for a LONG drive to clear my head (had to drop something off, so took the long route) and got caught by ALL the freaking traffic lights and every single freaking set of roadworks -ie every bloody council has devised to spend their last 5 roadworks budgets' worth of $$$$ on the roads this month FFS!! :mad::mad:

So now I feel queasy, irritated and VERY, VERY ANGRY!!!!
:mad:

Just at the shops now to buy more supplies - have run out of chocolate bars and chips, for some strange reason.. :rolleyes:

Trav talk? Keep up. Read a newspaper :p
Blicavs - threat of team throwing cash at him.
Motlop - no idea.
If Blicavs even thought about leaving then that would make him the biggest scum on the Earth.
Over at Collingwood I can also understand Beams wanting out to QLD but Bundy's reason isn't respectable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like 25 is Brisbane's last live pick too. I think Clarke/Gardiner/McStay and pick #25 would be worth considering, but I'd need to read up on whether that would actually be legal, assuming your first pick goes for Beams. Not sure if you can go in on draft day without at least one live pick, or whether their third and fourth round academy player picks count.

Surely the academy and f/s picks count, in that they are players new to the system?

I've had 4 chocolate bars, 3 extra-shot coffees and a bag of chili chips. All I feel is queasy, now. Went for a LONG drive to clear my head (had to drop something off, so took the long route) and got caught by ALL the freaking traffic lights and every single freaking set of roadworks -ie every bloody council has devised to spend their last 5 roadworks budgets' worth of $$$$ on the roads this month FFS!! :mad::mad:

Just at the shops now to buy more supplies - have run out of chocolate bars and chips, for some strange reason.. :rolleyes:
ooohhh..thats right, the missus got me a flake showbag when she was in perth on friday....see you later, im off to try and trade for some diabetes!

Breathe breathe breathe:D

If Blicavs even thought about leaving then that would make him the biggest scum on the Earth.
Over at Collingwood I can also understand Beams wanting out to QLD but Bundy's reason isn't respectable
It might be, personal, r 'ship issue(s), I know nothing, but heard something.
Realistically, this is a sudden decision, not footy related, we can't really question the motives, it's his life, but he obviously has significant reasons for such an about face and would appreciate the impact this has on everyone including himself.

No idea why? Doesn't seem a huge stretch, given that we would be losing a fast ball carrying player in Bundy, so holding on to Varcoe might not be a bad idea. It's worth keeping in mind that Varcoe's best games came late in the season when he was in fact dipping in and out of Bundy's mid field role in his absence. Of course, for the Varcoe haters, this was just a mythical matter of Varcoe deciding to pull his finger out.

I accept that he did find some form towards the end of last year (nothing outstanding in the finals, but not on his own there). But, if we assume that Varcoe goes along with Christensen, without even considering whether we get a player or two in return, which players are next in line to take those vacant spots in the senior side in 2015? Bews, Thurlow, Lang, Kersten and Hartman? All have toe. Jansen, Kolodjashnij and Hamling are no slouches in that department either.

I'm not saying they should keep Varcoe, but it's hardly a weird suggestion at all to keep Varcoe as a similarly pacey mid abruptly departs at the same time (and we are already slow!).

Also, with regard Clark, do we really need to lose Varcoe for him. Melbourne hold little power in that exchange.

Well, it seems that Clark would cost a second round pick and Varcoe would fetch a second round pick. Seems like the neatest way to sort it out.

Gee the '09 draft which looked like setting us up perfectly for the future has gone to crap through no fault of the clubs.

Vardy, Menzel, Cowan all plagued by injury, Christensen leaving. Someone put Duncan in cotton wool ASAP. :drunk:

Yeah, I remember saying in 2011 (before Menzel's first knee reco) that the 2009 draft could eventually rival the 2001 draft for Geelong.

:cry:

We
Gee the '09 draft which looked like setting us up perfectly for the future has gone to crap through no fault of the clubs.

Vardy, Menzel, Cowan all plagued by injury, Christensen leaving. Someone put Duncan in cotton wool ASAP. :drunk:
And we get Clarke who hasn't played regular football since Round 13, 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back