List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s awesome though?
we can’t offload it for picks this year in your example as they get eaten up anyway
so the only option is for picks in 22....

Which defeats the purpose because we wanted young players on the list right away
not in 2 years time
We could have traded it to for a first & second round next year i reckon. Somebody would have been desperate to get their hands on that pick.

We could have traded it to for a first & second round next year i reckon. Somebody would have been desperate to get their hands on that pick.

Who’s first and second?
and teams would know theyd have us over A barrel knowing we need to offload it...makes it even more dangerous game to play.

We wanted players there and then not 2 years down the road

Who’s first and second?
and teams would know theyd have us over A barrel knowing we need to offload it...makes it even more dangerous game to play.

We wanted players there and then not 2 years down the road

No there would be many suitors for that pick. We could wait for the best bid. But it's done now. So I guess we deal with reality.

Who’s first and second?

The barrel may exist for players as they nominate one club and if the club wants to trade them they've got no other suitors. There would be no shortage of suitors for pick 2.

The barrel may exist for players as they nominate one club and if the club wants to trade them they've got no other suitors. There would be no shortage of suitors for pick 2.

But how does that solve our problem for having players with two years development already under their belt compared to waiting 2 years to get them?

But how does that solve our problem for having players with two years development already under their belt compared to waiting 2 years to get them?

My view is that if you're looking at draftees to become the core of a team, you're generally looking at a minimum of a 6 year wait. You might get one or two of them to be ready to really be core players earlier, but the bulk of them will take longer. In 6 years time, the advantage of an extra 2 years in the system will be diminished and you really want to just have the more talented player on your list - hopefully that will be Poulter, but I'm not hugely confident that he'll be as good as you'd expect from a top 10 pick in 2022.

Last edited:
I hope Hine is scouring the players recruited in 2018/19, who with limited VFL over last 2 years may have slipped under the radar and been “prematurely” delisted.
I think lack of VFL in the last 2 years may offer great opportunity for astute recruiters.

I agree, it is a special situation, and hopefully we're attacking it as such.

Thought I’d throw in a Hail Mary

You're not the only one who has suggested it, but it is bewildering that a bloke who missed the main and rookie draft could be viewed as a potential top 20 ND pick based on 3 games as an overager in the TAC cup, where he had low stats.

I hope Hine is scouring the players recruited in 2018/19, who with limited VFL over last 2 years may have slipped under the radar and been “prematurely” delisted.
I think lack of VFL in the last 2 years may offer great opportunity for astute recruiters.
Hine hasn't got a great record when it comes to trading in the blokes he was really keen on in their draft year - Corrie, Karnesis to name two. Aish.

You're not the only one who has suggested it, but it is bewildering that a bloke who missed the main and rookie draft could be viewed as a potential top 20 ND pick based on 3 games as an overager in the TAC cup, where he had low stats.
He’s up against it, there’s probably 16 ahead of him from the same draft that will struggle also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 2 & then trade it for something awesome. Still can't understand why we didn't know it would be top 6 pick. GWS knew that's for sure.

The average tip for our 2021 finish was around about 8th or 9th. The odd pessimist said maybe 12th.

I once sold a Nirvana ltd edition box set for $500, ($200 more than I paid for it.)...I couldn't predict the guy would blow his head off two weeks later, and the price went to $1500! Ces la vie.

Hine hasn't got a great record when it comes to trading in the blokes he was really keen on in their draft year - Corrie, Karnesis to name two. Aish.
We misused Aish. Might be handy playing in the centre for us now.
GW has a good eye to trade in opposition players. Thought that was one of his strengths at the Hawks early days.

We misused Aish. Might be handy playing in the centre for us now.
GW has a good eye to trade in opposition players. Thought that was one of his strengths at the Hawks early days.
Aish is a competent role player, but I don't think any team with Aish playing in the centre square is going to go very far.

Great day for GWS with pick 2 in their pocket bought for peanuts. Rounds off the disaster of the last 12 months.

Hopefully thats the end of it. Nick D in and then some higher end talent in 2022 will be the real start of the rebuild. Hopefully we can nail it. Will need a lot of astute decisions to get this list back to a challenging level.
And stability off field.

Lots of arguing. We were bound to have a sh*t year. It's now over. Next time we play we will have Nick Daicos, and an extra 12 months into kids who held their head up high this year. Richmond also didn't win. Not all is lost. Im hoping we target a couple of 20 to 24 year old Smokey's with Trades and look forward to is climbing again next year!
You should be banned from this forum for good. I mean how dare you come in here with a calm head, logic and a hopeful future. How dare you! Shame on you.

If we could trade Sier, WHE, Lynch & Cox and end up with 2 picks between 25 - 30, I wouldn’t hate it.

If we are going to bottom out, let’s do it properly.

Last edited:
Well, at least we're going into this year's trade period with very low expectations...

On the contrary, I’m buoyant that almost whatever we do it will surely be an improvement on last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back