List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We took 6 players inside 44 last year
5 inside 31.
Everything we did that you see now was a byproduct of last years draft

If we didn’t have a father son prospect...we wouldn’t have planned it this way but we made as good as we could to bring in 6 young players in one sitting in the ND last year.
I dont buy that line. We could have still bought in 6 players without giving up on the 1st. Just means Poulter, McMahon and McCreery would be substituted for 3 others. The way it was panning out that would have taken Poulter out for sure but the other two may have slipped. Alternatively we would have two other kids, slightly later picks but we would still have the ability to trade pick 2 for a much better outcome.

For sure it was.

Teams will probably be lining up to deal with us this year after we were essentially the laughing stock of the trade period.

We absolutely were the laughing stock of the trade period, but not for our pick trades. If the asking price for our 2021 first was viewed so widely as the bargain of the century, we would have had more and better offers for it.

As we had Daicos on the hook it was all purely about draft points...just like Dogs with Ugle Hagen, you want to use first rounder elsewhere to benefit the list, and use late picks to match the bid.

In terms of draft points 25 & 28 are actually slightly more than 10.

Then the live trading was all about shifting around the 2020 order to also throw us a few 3rd rounders...ie we dropped back a couple of spots in the 20s in trades with Adelaide and Freo, but picked up 2021 3rd rounders from them.

You will only be able to determine if we made the right call based on performance of the 2020 kids and Daicos down the track.

But yeah when doing all that work, very much doubt we would have envisioned finishing 2nd bottom.

After all your bluff and bluster...I'll be f'd.

We absolutely were the laughing stock of the trade period, but not for our pick trades. If the asking price for our 2021 first was viewed so widely as the bargain of the century, we would have had more and better offers for it.
It's not exactly huge return even if we won the premiership this year.

Still it's done - Daicos/Poulter/McMahon
2025 will prob be better hindsight...and that's the trouble with hindsight. it's hindsight.

I dont buy that line. We could have still bought in 6 players without giving up on the 1st. Just means Poulter, McMahon and McCreery would be substituted for 3 others. The way it was panning out that would have taken Poulter out for sure but the other two may have slipped. Alternatively we would have two other kids, slightly later picks but we would still have the ability to trade pick 2 for a much better outcome.

But we get the players in now with 2 years development...
Not in 2022....
You cant have your cake and eat it too.

But we get the players in now with 2 years development...
Not in 2022....
You cant have your cake and eat it too.
The 6 players we picked up in 2020 would still get their development just the names Poulter , McMahon and McCreery would potentially be different.

Unreal to think we are probably going into the draft with a worse draft hand than any side in the comp:

Collingwood33, 39, 41, 45

Shocking position we have put ourselves in adding to our recent salary cap woes.

It's hard to fathom.

Yeah that doesn't look overly enticing does it?

Has anyone worked out what the equivalent points value is of those current selections? Will they be enough to match a pick 1 bid or will we be going into deficit off our first pick next year too? I suppose if we traded out a couple of players for 2nd and 3rd round picks this year too a deficit could be avoided.

If the points are enough we just need to rewrite our picks as - Pick 1, 61,62,63.

I hadn't even considered the PSD pick 2? That could actually land us something ok from the uncontracted pool without needing to trade.

The 6 players we picked up in 2020 would still get their development just the names Poulter , McMahon and McCreery would potentially be different.

But the quality of those players would be picks in the final back end of the draft......
As i said you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Has anyone worked out what the equivalent points value is of those current selections? Will they be enough to match a pick 1 bid or will we be going into deficit off our first pick next year too? I suppose if we traded out a couple of players for 2nd and 3rd round picks this year too a deficit could be avoided.

If the points are enough we just need to rewrite our picks as - Pick 1, 61,62,63.

I hadn't even considered the PSD pick 2? That could actually land us something ok from the uncontracted pool without needing to trade.
33, 39, 41 and 45 equals to 1,768. Short of around 600ish points, or pick 29/30 for a pick 1 bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It definitely should assuming we’re not asleep at the wheel. Or just contribute to leverage in trade discussions, as in, “you try to bend us over and we’ll just walk him through the PSD and you’ll get nothing *shakes fist*”.

If we are rebuilding...start now....don't wait until 2022.
There's patience and there's ridiculous levels of patience.

The rebuild has started, it started last year.

We are end of year 2, finished 2nd last and as long as we don't look to circumvent it by trading in stop gaps we will likely be bottom 5 next year too.

Natural progression and regression.

But the quality of those players would be picks in the final back end of the draft......
As i said you cant have your cake and eat it too.
I understand that. You dont get Poulter but you would be a chance with the other 2. Just the same the big difference in the picks is the top 10 and then the top 20. Especially after 30 the hit rate isnt dramatically different as you go down the draft.

What we would have is the chance to turn pick 2 into something much more valuable than the pick upgrade we got on the deal we did.

Ok so based on that it looks like we need to trade out another player for a mid second rounder at least to match without deficit. Not ideal.

Assumes the bid is pick #1 though.

It's looking more and more like lynch will be the player

Can’t be. Paige already has him signed.

Sier will surely get traded for points though, you would think.

Some real bargains there potentially. There are always players who don't get drafted plus mature agers. We picked up Bramble, 23 years, in the PSD and he is easily best 22. Averaging 18 possessions, 430 m gained in 9 games after the bye. Possibly the best kick in our teams.

Did you see Cooper Sharmans game for Saints? Project key forward, 21. Kicked 4.1 and gave 15m handpass to team mate in the square. Did a bit around the ground too. Was pick 21 this years mid season draft. If VFL becomes more normal next year there will be potentially bargains with good form for mid season draft. Having list space and early picks will be an advantage for slow starting teams.

Can’t be. Paige already has him signed.

Sier will surely get traded for points though, you would think.
I think Lynch is the only one that could get us a second round pick. Quite a few clubs would love to have him and we could get a bidding war. I think the reason we re-signed him was so that we can maximise his value

Assumes the bid is pick #1 though.

As much as I would like this not to be the case I just can't see North not bidding on him at pick 1. Just like last year with JUH; ND is the best player in the draft and North will make us accountable. I see them bidding on both Daicos and Darcy in the order and then taking Horne-Francis themselves at 3.

Dees recruiting manager, Jason Taylor, was on a draft podcast this week and said he would clearly pick ND at #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back