List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Lewis Young is the next Roughy but if he wants regular senior football it’s probably a year too early for us.

I feel like he could be a player at full back if allowed to settle there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So if you had a choice, get Lewis
What staggers me about the Grundy/ Moore/ JDG narrative is how they’re ignoring the pay structure of other clubs. Melbourne have Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. Carlton have Mackay, Cripps and Walsh. Geelong have Danger, Hawkins and Cameron. Brisbane have Neale, Daniher and Andrews.

The point is that most clubs with stars on their list generally have at least three that can command $1m on the open market. We also had this issue in 2020 when all three were off contract in 2021 and we got all three signed. I think the difficulty will be if JDG and Moore have AA caliber seasons and we still stink.

I also saw a little bit of concern around GW mentioning there’s still issues for us to work through relating to the salary cap, but as long as we make the right decisions they’ll be sorted by the time those big names start their next contract in 2023. Those issues would primarily relate to guys like Howe and Sidebottom who are probably earning a combined 10% or more of our salary cap, are over 30 and have given us nothing in 20-21.

From a pay structure perspective the only guys I’m confident we currently have signed up for 2023 and beyond are Crisp, Adams, Ruscoe, Mihocek, Daicos x 2, Grundy, our 2020 draftees, Noble and Bianco so there’s no reason we can’t afford to keep the big 3 it’s more a matter of whether it’s at all costs. For instance if say Hawthorn came at Moore with a $6m contract over 5 seasons we can’t and won’t get near that if we remain in the bottom 4 so our offer will be more like $3.5m over 4. That would be tough for Moore to pass on…

In some ways it’s a blessing that so many are out of contract next season - a chance to do the majority of contracts correctly and many players would I share say get pay decreases which will be tricky.

With the other 17 clubs i dare say the amount we estimate for players is actually less, whereas the amount we estimate for our players is actually higher. Who would have guessed that Phillips was on that much coin?
De Goey, Moore & Maynard, order of preference to keep next year?

Hypothetical, since we have no proper news for a few more weeks.

1. Moore

2. De Goey

3. Maynard (not fussed)

4. Grundy (not fussed)

My only response to the continued narrative around them is why can’t we keep all 3? Look at the teams that Melb and dogs just fielded on the park, and yet we can’t keep 3 of our best?…

I’m tipping we will keep all 3 - GW will find a way.
However much will depend on the buy- in with the new Coaching group.
Can’t see any of them 3 leaving if they are enjoying the change.

I forgot about him. Where is he currently expected to go? How do you see us getting the points for him and Daics and still hold one more pick? Do we just split next years first into as many picks we can get for this year? Seems risky

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Of course it’s risky. Giving away draft picks to go from 15th to 13th. We should be banking picks and salary for when our young draftees develop and return us to contention.

He’s probably gone at the end of next year. Unless we want to repeat our Grundy blunder.

Why would JDG be going at the end of next year?
The club needs to retain DeGoey, Moore and Maynard. Next year we have Howe, Sidebottom, Elliott and Roughead out of contract, as well. If the club needs to trim some off the cap, l see it coming from the later group of players, as unfortunate as that maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham Wrights comments in the media about not out of the woods yet will be a message to the players more than anyone. No easy deals will get done and there will be no overs.

Dont believe all the hype that we will have to let go of one of Maynard Degoey or Moore

There's no chance we will let go any of those 3. They'll be a major part of leading us through the rebuild over the next 2-3 seasons.

Left field question, expecting haters.

Could we trade for North's number one selection? Frees up salary cap, gets JHF, we could bid on Darcy and we get Nick as well.

Or we on trade that to another club and get a few players and top end picks.

Someone would have to go. And it's going to have been a Moore, JDG, Maynard and something else on top of that. We saw Hawthorn do it in 2001. Fans hated them but later it would prove ingenious.

Have we traded our future first for Logan McDonald yet?
He was a high selection so I think it's fair to say that they'd want that in return. Do we need ANOTHER forward, though? We've already got Kreuger coming through and AJ and Begg and McMahon and Cox (who we're likely ditching).

Left field question, expecting haters.

Could we trade for North's number one selection? Frees up salary cap, gets JHF, we could bid on Darcy and we get Nick as well.

Or we on trade that to another club and get a few players and top end picks.

Someone would have to go. And it's going to have been a Moore, JDG, Maynard and something else on top of that. We saw Hawthorn do it in 2001. Fans hated them but later it would prove ingenious.

I'm confused by what you're suggesting here.

Lay out an example

So if you had a choice, get Lewis

In some ways it’s a blessing that so many are out of contract next season - a chance to do the majority of contracts correctly and many players would I share say get pay decreases which will be tricky.

With the other 17 clubs i dare say the amount we estimate for players is actually less, whereas the amount we estimate for our players is actually higher. Who would have guessed that Phillips was on that much coin?

1. Moore

2. De Goey

3. Maynard (not fussed)

4. Grundy (not fussed)

Maynard & Grundy can go but the other 2 no.

I'm confused by what you're suggesting here.

Lay out an example

Alright yeah may not be that straight forward.

So

Pick #1

FOR

Jordan de Goey and 2022 first rounder

OR

Brodie Grundy and 2x second round draft selections over next two years.

OR

Isaac Quaynor, Ollie Henry and Caleb Poulter.

I'd love us to look into recruiting an American RB, CB or WR. Agile, speedy, good at marking, etc.

Lipinski and Krueger deal done for future picks. Our pick 34 traded to someone who has multiple picks in the 40s and 50s worth more points. Rinse and repeat with our other 2021 picks if need be

Take Daicos + Dib.., and upgrade someone like Noble and/or Wilson to the senior list in the event we use too many picks in the process
Everytime we swap 1 pick for 2 picks we need to delist another player and take one more player in the ND. At the moment we have to draft 4 players in the draft, because we have 4 active picks for Daicos. Taking Lipinski and Kreuger means we have to delist at least 6 players.
Every extra pick means 1 more player we have to delist. If Daicos goes pick 1. Downgrading picks for more points would mean we would end up with at least 7 live picks. Requiring us to delist 9 players.

The only real solutions I see to matching pick 1 would be the following:
1. Upgrade some picks by trading out some fringe players for pick upgrades.
Eg trading Lynch and pick 36 for pick 30. Cox and 52 for 45. (I couldnt remember our exact picks). It probably means we still need to get a 3rd rounder in a well.
2. Trading in a single pick above pick 27 for our future 2nd. (We would have to delist 7 players. Mayne, Greenwood, Sier, Cox, Lynch, Thomas Madgen and Randall for example. I would like to keep 1 of Lynch or Cox)
3. Trading a good player for a pick above 27.

Maybe downtrading picks for points can be done during the draft and because you didnt take those picks into the draft you have to deslist the players. Its probably against the rules though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back