List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our new fitness guru is likely get a lot of the guys into the weights room. His NRL background is sure to heavily target body size for many in the squad.

Perhaps so... hopefully one of Kelly or Keane become part of the defensive mix going forward but I’d bet $20 that neither have the attributes or ability to be a long term solution to Roughead once he departs fullback

We’re better off going a mature full back just like we did with Dunn, Roughead.., like Melbourne did with May, Bulldogs with Keath,

I don't think you're allowed to nominate a club with the PSD. Just like you're not allowed to with the draft. It was public knowledge he wanted to be at the pies, but it means nothing once you're in a draft.

Perhaps I should put it this way. Has any player who has agreed in principle with the terms the club he wishes to go to and rebuffed all other suitors, nominated for the PSD and been picked up by any other team that is not his preference.

I’m struggling to see how we are going to bring in the required 3 draft picks including Daicos as well as Lipinski and Krueger. With our currently terrible draft hand and already lacking points for Daics do we just throw the last two draft picks at 4th rounders and hope we get someone who miraculously makes it like Swanny did?
The trade bait we have isn’t going to get us much back either in Cox/Thomas maybe C.Brown etc.
Seems like we are going to have to trade someone of value or we keep trading out future picks and moving the problem back year by year which seems to me to not be fixing the issue

This has probably been spoken about but I haven’t sifted too far back in the discussion.
Would like to hear how some of you see it playing out and some realistic solutions!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m struggling to see how we are going to bring in the required 3 draft picks including Daicos as well as Lipinski and Krueger. With our currently terrible draft hand and already lacking points for Daics do we just throw the last two draft picks at 4th rounders and hope we get someone who miraculously makes it like Swanny did?
The trade bait we have isn’t going to get us much back either in Cox/Thomas maybe C.Brown etc.
Seems like we are going to have to trade someone of value or we keep trading out future picks and moving the problem back year by year which seems to me to not be fixing the issue

This has probably been spoken about but I haven’t sifted too far back in the discussion.
Would like to hear how some of you see it playing out and some realistic solutions!

For starters assuming he doesn’t get bid on inside the top 20 we’ll almost certainly be matching a bid for our NGA prospect Dib so there’s the second of our three required draft selections.

Perhaps so... hopefully one of Kelly or Keane become part of the defensive mix going forward but I’d bet $20 that neither have the attributes or ability to be a long term solution to Roughead once he departs fullback

We’re better off going a mature full back just like we did with Dunn, Roughead.., like Melbourne did with May, Bulldogs with Keath,

I think Keane has the athleticism to make it and also a bit of mongrel which is important in a defender.
Two lost VFL seasons have massively impacted his development and he’s still very young.
Kelly is an enigma, he has talent but does he have the right attitude and commitment?

I think Leppa has a lot to work with in each case.

I am curious about why everyone believes this hurts us so much. I don’t know the figures but say he is on $1M and ideally we would be preferring to pay him $800k it’s only going to be in the realm of $200k difference.

Surely no one believes he should have a really large reduction. Say it’s $200k, in itself that can’t cause us too much issue

Length of tenure!

A scenario where they didn’t front end the deal is nightmare fuel. Fast forward to Rd 1 2025, Grundy’s 31 with his deal expiring at the end of 2027 and it’s worth say $800k pa. On the basis of what we saw in 20-21 it’s a scary thought when that’s the time we hope to be contending.

FWIW I’d be shocked if it were $1m pa because I reckon he took unders to get 7 years. The worry again is when he receives the money because if it was back ended we need to bring some of it forward as early as 2023.

Last edited:

Lipinski and Krueger deal done for future picks. Our pick 34 traded to someone who has multiple picks in the 40s and 50s worth more points. Rinse and repeat with our other 2021 picks if need be

Take Daicos + Dib.., and upgrade someone like Noble and/or Wilson to the senior list in the event we use too many picks in the process

For starters assuming he doesn’t get bid on inside the top 20 we’ll almost certainly be matching a bid for our NGA prospect Dib so there’s the second of our three required draft selections.

I forgot about him. Where is he currently expected to go? How do you see us getting the points for him and Daics and still hold one more pick? Do we just split next years first into as many picks we can get for this year? Seems risky

Lipinski and Krueger deal done for future picks. Our pick 34 traded to someone who has multiple picks in the 40s and 50s worth more points. Rinse and repeat with our other 2021 picks if need be

Take Daicos + Dib.., and upgrade someone like Noble and/or Wilson to the senior list in the event we use too many picks in the process

Cheers for the explanation. Simpler than what I had in my head. Hopefully it works out and we don’t go restricting ourselves too much in future drafts

Yep. And wasn't it straight after we eliminated them in a finals series?
Yep. It was a Pies backs against the wall classic win. 2002 I think they were top of the ladder and without Bucks and Burns we headed over to Port - noone gave us any chance - Licuria had the ball on a string and we won. That was an awesome final series. I still can't believe how close we get to toppling the Lions. The talent gulf was enormous between the teams, but we just had so much heart.

Kruger will be easy and Geelong have I think it's 3, 2nd round picks.

They probably get pick 27 from Freo for Clark which makes it 4, 2nd round picks.

Good chance we trade a future 2nd for Kruger and one of the 2nd round picks Geelong have for points.

Lipinksi shouldn't cost much, let's face it, look what Treloar was traded for even though we were to blame for that and let's not forget Cloke was given away for a 4th round pick.

Time to dig the heels in, they can take Lynch as a straight swap or we get him through the PSD.

Looks like Nth get CCJ and I don't think Nth take Lipinksi regardless if they sort a trade for CCJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. It was a Pies backs against the wall classic win. 2002 I think they were top of the ladder and without Bucks and Burns we headed over to Port - noone gave us any chance - Licuria had the ball on a string and we won. That was an awesome final series. I still can't believe how close we get to toppling the Lions. The talent gulf was enormous between the teams, but we just had so much heart.

It was after we beat them in the Prelim in 2003 that he left Port.

He actually got suspended for hitting Brodie Holland in that game. As if anyone could have an issue with Brodie.

De Goey, Moore & Maynard, order of preference to keep next year?

Hypothetical, since we have no proper news for a few more weeks.
My only response to the continued narrative around them is why can’t we keep all 3? Look at the teams that Melb and dogs just fielded on the park, and yet we can’t keep 3 of our best?…

It’s a shame we didn’t have goal reviews back then for Rocca’s goal/point.

I forgot about him. Where is he currently expected to go? How do you see us getting the points for him and Daics and still hold one more pick? Do we just split next years first into as many picks we can get for this year? Seems risky

We don’t actually lose the picks they just slide back to the end of the draft so if we use all of our picks on Daicos and Dib we’ll still have picks at the end for each list spot we have available so we can take a late pick if necessary. I’m also pretty sure that rookie elevations still count towards our quota even though they no longer get read out in the draft so we could simply elevate Noble or Keane.

I also think we’ll probably go into the season with 1 or 2 list spots open for the mid-season draft next year.

Find it hard to see too but if club (aka GW) has officially said we are interested, I’m sure the wheels have been in motion well before now to have a good crack at it. Starting with a good plan to land N.Daicos with minimal impact to the rest of this year’s strategy (whatever that may be).

They obviously hadn't considered finishing second last.

And the true worth of a future pick does not actually exist at the time it is traded. At that time the pick is valued on the rough consensus as to expected ladder position. To use a gameshow analogy, when we took the cash rather than the pick of the board, the pick we thought was the Selangor pewter or the luggage set, turned out to be the car!

Might as well criticise all the other clubs who did not buy our pick off us cheaply, but I guess they thought we were closer to 6th than 17th, so they made the same "mistake" of not being psychic.

Could it be that the contract sets a bench mark from which all the top players at the club measure their contracts against, with the expectation they will receive the same and I'm sure you know the rest.
Partly true. But the landscape has changed a little since then. Grundy's contract was done in a time where everyone believed that the salary cap would increase year by year. No one saw COVID coming and the subsequent reduction in TPP. Perhaps Grundy got lucky. His timing was fortunate for him. But there is just not that sort of money available now to go too crazy on current and imminent signings. Thet are just going to have to cop that on the chin. (Or move on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back