Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough as it is - I will give it a go
I be got 29 with legitimate top 22 claims.

There loads of flexibility there with key position players.

JJ Trengove Morris
Wood Cordy Biggs
Macrae Bont Hunter
Dale Adams Dalhaus
Crameri Schache Smith

Boyd Liberatore McLean

Dunkley, Caleb, Picken, Jong, Williams, Young, Dickson , Wallis , Rough, Suckling, Redpath

Wait.. how'd we retain crameri

Anyone see the Herald Sun article with stringer saying he wants to be the next Dusty Martin in the midfield? Biased and anger aside - do we think he’ll ever get to that stage fitness wise?

Anyone see the Herald Sun article with stringer saying he wants to be the next Dusty Martin in the midfield? Biased and anger aside - do we think he’ll ever get to that stage fitness wise?
Never, the mere fact that he thinks it is a given that he can be dusty tells you that he has bought every TAB ticket on himself.

From my perspective, I think he will be more forward-mid whereas Martin is more mid-forward. I have no idea as to what his fitness is like but I just hope he gets his head straight first. He would be very damaging in the midfield though, bursting out of the pack. If he comes into 1st day of preseason with a tyre around his waist then no hopes for midfield time.

Didn’t quite work out the way we all thought it would but you have to take your hat off to CG, LB and J-Mac.
Stringer going, as much as the media would like you to think, wasn’t a choice for the club. He was probably moving on next year anyway. We don’t lose ten years, we lost one. Additionally his bad influence on our youngsters in not training, gambling and god knows what else plus the rumours of bullying, 17yo’s, etc. was more deleterious than anything he could have done to the opposition on field. All that led for LB to make the call, move him on.

Contrast that with Schack-attack:
Homesick, loves his family, wants to be in a strong environment and work to win the respect of his new club.

We should have faith behind Beveridge and his model...two final series in three inc. premiership, well before anyone’s expectations, a club of mostly team oriented hard working kids.

Soap box done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it's something that needs to be "tested" as much as it is a friendly way to ask Cloke the question. We should preface the conversation by saying "you're 100% entitled to honour your contract mate" but then just tell him straight up the realities of the likelihood of him getting games, now that we've somewhat unexpectedly got Schache. There's a very reasonable chance that Cloke plays a total of 0 games next year in the AFL team, if Schache, Boyd, Redpath stay fit, Roughy finds some good form, and we might even swing Adams forward at times, so it's not me just saying it for the sake of saying it - would he rather be playing a season of VFL with the training and contract requirements of being a listed AFL footballer, or playing local footy whilst getting a guaranteed $150k buyout without having to train four days a week and giving him the option of spending more time with his new wife and child etc.?
Just as an alternative idea, maybe we could agree with Cloke to delist him, pay him out and then pick him up in the rookie draft. That would allow us to keep crameri, while still allowing Cloke to continue his career. With lynch and nmm not really afl ready yet, Cloke would be an obvious LTI replacement for Jong while he recovers from his ACL.

Surely crameri is a much better option than whoever we'd pick up in the second round of the rookie draft if we keep Cloke on the main list.

And for what it’s worth:

Wood Trengove Morris
Biggs Cordy JJ
Dale Macrae Hunter
Crameri Schak Picken
Dalhouse Boyd Dickson

Roughead Bont Libba

Maclean, Suckling, Daniel, Wallis

Emg: Dunkley, Smith, Adams

Inj: Jong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doubt it. Martin might be a dickhead but you won't see a bloke push himself more on the track. He'd do more boxing than any player in the comp.

Jake can't even do a set of weights without looking at his phone (imagine how good he could be..)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So list now has few holes - fast/outside mid Maybe?

As before - we have at least two legitimate options in each key role. With the talls it is a balance of talent and have enough options that on the numbers some will come through. And now we have the options - not all will succeed as we know with big guys but we are now much more secure.

FB - Williams (Biggs) - Adams (Collins) Morris (Cordy)

HB JJ (Roarke) - Trengove (Young) - Wood (Crozier)

C - Hunter (Suckling) Wallis (Dunkley) Dale (Webb)

R Roughy (English) Bonti (Macrae) Libba (McLean)

HF - Dalhaus (LJ) Schache (Cloke) Picken (Crameri)

FF Dickson (Lippy) Boyd (Redpath) Smith (Honey)

And we have two new first rounders that will take Best available but may advantage goal kicking small like Miers and classy mid with elite speed and for backup - Roberts, Campbell, Green, Lynch and NMM

Have lost Stringer, Moyd, Bob, Hamilton, and Three in - means we have to delist one other senior list player to use both top picks? And assuming if we promote Roarke do we need to delist another? Only Crameri and Honey are uncontested? Is that correct?

Rookie Prudden (R) gone and Tweedie (B) - gone and could also be replaced

Probably blasphemy but not sure I see the excitement from the Grant interview. Handled well, but fairly regulation and what I’d expect from any head of football (or whatever the title is) in the situation.

From my perspective, I think he will be more forward-mid whereas Martin is more mid-forward. I have no idea as to what his fitness is like but I just hope he gets his head straight first. He would be very damaging in the midfield though, bursting out of the pack. If he comes into 1st day of preseason with a tyre around his waist then no hopes for midfield time.

Good luck with Stringer but whatever you do, don't take his tips.

He's a shit house punter.

And good luck with social media with his ex. She's all class.

Stringer is soft. Cannot take a hip and shoulder or give one without impersonating a man who has been shot.

What's funny to me is how the experts assessing trade week always say team X had a great one because they brought in established players. Well, yes but did they plug holes in your list and what did you give up?

Essendon won the Stringer trade - that's clear and I don't think there's any arguing about that. But overall let's wait until after draft day before going nuts.

Personally, I think Essendon will look amazing going forward at points next season and Saad, Smith and Stringer make them way more potent than they already are. But they'll also spend large parts of some games with their hands on their hips waiting for Heppell to win the hard ball against about three or four other inside mids - because where is his help coming from

Overall the dogs have lost a mercurial talent but also strengthened draft position and plugged two key holes at structurally important positions while potentially removing a substantial risk to team harmony and culture. I for one can't be too pissed off about that, even if Jake does light it up for years to come.

Bottom line, losing him might be painful but the circumstances make it palatable.

So before trading in Schache people were saying we'd be fine and back up there despite no stringer.. trade in Schache and we took multiple steps backwards and are now relying on him.

Fml
“People” may have said that, but not me. You need to stop putting words in people’s mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back