Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honey did miss a key shot from 5 metres out vs Melbourne - but we would have been smashed anyway.

He actually played some good footy this year in the mid-rounds before getting injured.

I think he actually fits the structure well - Boyd and Schache with manic pressure around them.

Honey may not be the most skilled, but he is certainly very very manic...

Honey did miss a key shot from 5 metres out vs Melbourne - but we would have been smashed anyway.

He actually played some good footy this year in the mid-rounds before getting injured.

I think he actually fits the structure well - Boyd and Schache with manic pressure around them.

Honey may not be the most skilled, but he is certainly very very manic...

Had an illness not an injury iirc. Still I thought he was improving week by week until that

Makes sense to me.

Therefore it was never HC vs Crameri, rather it was HC vs a DFA vs random pick 82.

If that's the case, why wait till today? Seems like a bit of a Dick move by the club to Cramers...

Great post and that really adds something well done

We can’t have been a rabble to win/steal/pinch a flag the club must have done something right for even a small period but there is no doubt we were a rabble when Bev took over and I question whether we aren’t at present ?

Or does sacking a player we couldn’t get to commit, a garbage year, player unrest, board and office instability mean smooth sailing in your world?
Are you Caroline Wilson?

That’s like a chicken and egg theory in our team. Is it that our mids can’t kick to our forwards properly? Or can we not coach our forwards to lead properly?

Saw quite a few examples last year of Boyd being ignored (or disadvantaged) when in space - but couldn't answer conclusively whether the timing of the lead was a contributing factor..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Honey signing on for one year.
If he works on his kicking in front of goals, he'll be alright. Gets enough chances at goal and while not the quickest small on the field does position himself well to apply pressure and also puts his body on the line no matter what. Also holds onto marks, which is nice.

Like the changes. We're backing in Schache as the future of our forward line. Also, despite other attributes they have, in sick of watching a forward line with inefficient hack kicks like Stringer, Cloke and even Crameri.

No worries about going in too tall either. Looking good dogs

Surely we’ve pushed Cloke out.

Why else would we pay him out?
Of course. Cloke himself has worded his messages to mean that he chose to retire after being 'informed' that he wouldn't get much playing opportunity.

TBH I like the decision to keep honey and flick Cloke and Crammers.
The list looks less top heavy, and those 2 blokes are cooked IYAM
If we can get JJ and the Bont to spend some quality time in the forward line with Dale, Boyd, Schache, Dickson and Picko....could be alright.

Re-signing Honey seems a waste of a list spot.

If Crameri is for, delisting him is bizarre.

JMac really leaving his replacement a pile of poop to clean up.
Have you considered that perhaps Crameri's hip is completely shot? This decision has been consistent for a long period and they've given Stu every chance to get right. Age and type of injury means it's a hopeless case.

Does anyone know the thinking behind the Crameri decision?

1) Managed By Coners
2) Part of Rat Pack
3) Did not have enough sense to stay away from Stringer (Gone overseas with him)
4) Has played a handful of games in 2 years.
5) Back from major injury.

And that is what has been reported!

That’s like a chicken and egg theory in our team. Is it that our mids can’t kick to our forwards properly? Or can we not coach our forwards to lead properly?
My assessment is that it's a combination of three issues:
  1. Overload of midfielders with neat but uncreative disposal - they look for obvious, heavy leading options and can often perform decent entry kicks in these conditions, but are not creative enough to place the ball in space and direct the forwards to the right spots themselves. This is why Redpath is quite a good goal kicker in our system - his aggressive leads play to the strengths of our midfielders and mask the weaknesses. Unfortunately he has other limitations which makes his suitability to AFL level football questionable at best.
  2. An inability of our forwards to lead appropriately. We just don't have a lot of natural forwards with good forward IQ, and the ones who do fit that description are limited by being surrounded by those who don't. They get blocked in and stuck for options. This is exacerbated by having to get up and back a lot in our system, taking them out of position to lead and making them tire more quickly.
  3. Heavy pressing game style makes the forward line more congested than need be and is not compatible with our lack of genuine crumbing options. How often do you see someone that isn't Picken or Stringer read the fall of the ball and kick a quick goal out of it? We lack guys who can kick goals under pressure/congestion. If we don't score on a quick, running play, we struggle to find a way to do so because of an over-populated attacking 70.
Overall, I feel we score when we stream through the middle or when we have an aggressive, leading target, but struggle outside of those two scenarios. Which is ok if you have a method by which to maximise the number of times you get those opportunities - as we did in 2016 - but not if you don't - as in 2017.

Clearly the answer is to bring back Baz.

GWS also has a tendency to recruit less talented veterans to play as defensive forwards and to actually instill some workrate in their team. They didn't recruit DeBoer or Mzungu because of their talent or if they could go through the midfield or not.

I agree to an extent. But Honeychurch is hardly a veteran. De Boer also played 15 games for a team that made a prelim. A football team needs a plethora of types of players, the last two premierships have proved that. We'll see how he goes next year.

I hear what you say Immortal , but for me he is poor.
Now intent , yeah he is up there.
Your right I don't rate him at that level , but good on the kid for getting a reprieve.
I will be cheering for him next season and hope he proves me wrong.
Poor in what way? His technique is better than anyone on the list bar Picken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back