Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that it comes to mind, when was the last time we drafted a key forward with a top 10 pick? Yet alone a first round pick at all? Cannot remember it happening since I started following AFL seriously. Cordy doesn't count btw, was a ruckman first up
Ayce Cordy, can't you remember that great choice? Tim Walsh another beauty? Andrejs Everitt was looked at as a forward
I put Cordy and Everitt in because they were recruited on the premise that they would be forwards first, Roughead was similar also.

Last edited:
The AFL said it themselves last year that free agency compensation was never meant to be fair. It was never meant to provide a like-for-like replacement to a club, it was to ensure that clubs were not left empty-handed at the end of the free agency period.

Obviously the compensation favours more lower placed clubs, but that's not a bad thing IMO.
That is why Melbourne did not get an extra pick this year when they applied for it. AFL already knows that 3 is coming there way anyway. Image if they had got it plus a first rounder for Frawley. Boy O Boy Wow wee

I like your positivity but on what grounds?
  • Hardness at footy - x
  • Pace - x
  • Goal kicicking ability - x
  • Overhead marking - x
  • Line breaking - x
  • Kicking - x
  • Handball in traffic - yes
  • Endurance - x
  • Strength - x
  • Ability to win own ball - x
  • Ability to get to right spots- equal
  • Agility - x
  • Flexibility -x
I can see Macrae becoming a very good footballer, but he isn't in Dangers ballpark when it comes to saying who will be better.
He's a strong chance of being a better kick, (Danger's pretty poor at hitting targets despite a good looking kick). Strong chance of getting him on endurance and has him covered on getting to the right spots on the outside. Flexibility and Strength are also becoming very high for Macrae, he's about 191cm now and seems to have good genes for bulking up based on last pre-season.

Danger's slightly over rated due to excitement factor. (Not to say he isn't a star, he is)

Two of the best posts all year. Weren't two of our best wins this season without Boyd? Pies, Suns.

Boydy played up in Cairns. There were other wins we don't get if he doesn't play (Richmond).

I have no problem with him trying to get the best possible last deal.

I know it's a brave new world, but gee the lack of loyalty shown to Boyd, Cooney, Minson, etc lately amazes me.

O'rourke to the dees
Pick 6 and cooney to GWS
pick 3 to the dogs

Maybe a trade in 2nd and 3rd rd picks may get this done

GWS and Dogs make out like bandits, O'rouke is worth a pick In the teens at most.

Agree with mutt lose a midfielder for pick 2 or 3 and greenwood automatic replacement to get wright

Yes right now yes Danger but Macrae imo will be a better mid then Danger

Have fun with that mate, Dangerfield is an absolute machine.

Not saying Macrae will not be a great footy player, but Dangerfield has a lot more weapons, and Macrae is too one paced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK we need to use logic now...

What does the bottom 5 teams need???

St kilda--They need a key forward the most
Melbourne--They need on-fallers the most
GS-Want the best player dont care what they do to get him
Brissy--Now would love a key-Back with Patful and big red going
Dogs--KEY FORWARD

Now the Top 5 players are

Petracca
McCardin
Brayshaw
Wright
Lever

Now St Kilda would be able to give up pick 1 for 3 (GWS) and still get McCardin and pick 22
Melbourne get there onballer Bradshaw
GWS-Petracca
Brissy-Lever
Bulldogs-Wright

St Kilda make out like bandits in this draft if they play it right.

Now on the compensation if the AFL give Melbourne pick 3 for 4 years at $500 and he was pick 14 drafted then Higgins at $400 a year for 4 years pick 12 drafted has to be the same both aged 26??? watch this space its like Ward and Scully all over again...Imagine if they give both pick after first round Melbourne picks 2-3 Bulldogs pick 6-7 would be fare as far as we see but to the other 16 clubs not fare so a pic in the second round is the way they have to go...............remember Melb did that deal to get Viney at pick 26 and where fined for tanking>>>we are Clean and should push this now to the AFL
Durdin imo is better the Lever.

I like your positivity but on what grounds?
  • Hardness at footy - x
  • Pace - x
  • Goal kicicking ability - x
  • Overhead marking - x
  • Line breaking - x
  • Kicking - x
  • Handball in traffic - yes
  • Endurance - x
  • Strength - x
  • Ability to win own ball - x
  • Ability to get to right spots- equal
  • Agility - x
  • Flexibility -x
I can see Macrae becoming a very good footballer, but he isn't in Dangers ballpark when it comes to saying who will be better.
Well was Danger as good as Macrae in his Second year? he has time on his young hands to improve on the things you quoted Danger for starters Goal kicking was one of the things that attracted him to us as a under 18 player as a goal kicking mid. Danger does tend to turn the ball over as well so his kicking is not elite. Flexibility and Agility Macrae will definitely get better at, as well as endurance and over head marking im sure he will be better with extra height and more years into building up his body.

Post Higgins, Jones and Tutt draft hypothetical. In this I bank on the dogs shipping Tutt to Richmond for their third round pick of 48 as they have really lacked pace since losing Matt White and were rumoured to be interested. Jones to Carlton for pick 43.

Dogs approximately have picks 5, 25, 26, 42, 43, 48, 60.

Trade 43 to Brisbane for Merrett.
Trade 48 to Sydney for Membrey.

Draft:
5 - Peter Wright
25 - Connor Menadue
26 - Jack Steele
42 - Zaine Cordy
60 - Brett Eddy

Starting 22:
B: Picken Merrett Morris
HB: Murphy Roughead Darley
C: Macrae Wallis Griffen
HF: Dahlhaus Bontempelli Crameri
F: Campbell Stringer Hunter
Foll: Minson Libba Jong
Int: Wood Hrovat Talia Eddy

Not sure if draft or trade thread.

Merrett NO would rather to have Roberts or Talia developing by getting games under their belts and get Toby McLean at 43 so we have someone who can turn games on there head apart from just Bonti. Jack Steele is a GWS Academy player so they get dibs (not against nominating him though) maybe McDonald if he isn't there. Agree with the Membrey trade and getting Eddy.
Post Higgins, Jones and Tutt draft hypothetical. In this I bank on the dogs shipping Tutt to Richmond for their third round pick of 48 as they have really lacked pace since losing Matt White and were rumoured to be interested. Jones to Carlton for pick 43.

Dogs approximately have picks 5, 25, 26, 42, 43, 48, 60.

Trade 43 to Brisbane for Merrett.
Trade 48 to Sydney for Membrey.

Draft:
5 - Peter Wright
25 - Connor Menadue
26 - Jack Steele
42 - Zaine Cordy
60 - Brett Eddy

Starting 22:
B: Picken Merrett Morris
HB: Murphy Roughead Darley
C: Macrae Wallis Griffen
HF: Dahlhaus Bontempelli Crameri
F: Campbell Stringer Hunter
Foll: Minson Libba Jong
Int: Wood Hrovat Talia Eddy

Not sure if draft or trade thread.

I'm not convinced they are as close as they think. They lose the EF if Carlisle plays. They lose the SF if SJ plays. I think this is a step back for them as they add two unpredictable older players into a lineup that includes Harvey (susceptible to suspension), Wells (injury), Petrie (form as he's gotten older). Waite and Higgins will kick 8 one week, then not touch it the week after.... Don't see how that takes them forward - but that's just my 2c worth.
They seem to be doing the same mistake Voss did with Brisbane

Anyone else amused at the picture the Dogs used for the Higgins article? :D

345209-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-10-03/dogs-secure-second-round-pick
Look at the Bont behind him, looks like that at 18, wow come 3 years from now.. WOW

Inside mid!!!!!!!

As for the Jong tagging thing, my god he'd need to improve his tank to get anywhere near that role. Watched him live try and follow Gibbs around last year. Couldn't get within 20m of the guy. Jong is a burst player at this point in his career. Role him through the midfield but don't make him tag.

I don't want wallis tagging this year either. Picken and Boyd can share the duties IMO. Or if we land greenwood, just have Boyd, wallis and greenwood playing strong defensive mid roles rather than hard tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back