Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion that will probably get me lynched.

I don't think you can rule out Casboult as somebody that could potentially offer something to us, for the right price. Particularly if Cloke and Crameri come off the list and we find ourselves without a high pick.
It's not a bad suggestion, his marking is undoubtedly elite, but I wouldn't feel right trading for another player whose kicking for goal is highly questionable.

Murphy, Moz and Boyd all going at once. Need to go for some experience down back, that's not even factoring in JJ...

Pittard has gotta be on our hitlist. Need to make a move like Geelong did with 2E this year.

Biggs - Adams - Wood
JJ - Cordy - Williams

That's not great.
I really like it. It's the way of the future. Williams is a star, in my opinion, and Cordy has showed far, far stronger signs as a KPD than up forward. Every one of those players can contribute strongly. Our forward line is a more pressing issue: we need to markedly clean up our efficiency and capitalise on entries. Bruest/Gunston we have to go hard for.

What's happened to Brad Lynch? End of last year he seemed like he would be our answer to Murphy's retirement. Is he not up to it? Has the pace and seemed to use the ball well.

Haven't seen any VFL this year so not sure. His stats haven't been great but I think he was injured for a bit.

I still have hopes for him. Has speed and can kick, Johannisen took a little while too. I'd be surprised if he got off the rookie list next season though.
Don't think the rookie list exists next year? Doesn't it all just become one list, essentially?

The Trav and Kaz show.

Kaz has improved his kicking. As a FA ie no trade cost, I could handle Kaz - good overhead - unlike pretty much our entire list.

On a side note not fussed if we lose Cloke and Red for next year - obviously wish them all the best.

The problem I have with guys like Kaz and especially Trav is they are too slow to make decisions and too slow to move the ball on. In our system it sticks out like dogs balls.

Changes to the rookie list
Some significant changes have also been made to how the rookie list will function, and the wages that rookie-listed players will receive.

The rookie list minimum wage will now increase to $71,500 per year, and Category-A listed rookie players (those taken in the rookie draft) will be eligible to play senior football in 2018 without needing to wait for an elevation to the senior list.

Clubs will still be required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players.

They will also be allowed to list as many as three Category B rookies (rookies signed internationally, from another sport, or through other unique circumstances), but are not required to have any if they do not wish to.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/at-long-last-afl-and-players-lock-in-a-new-game-changing-cba/

So there is still a rookie list but rookies can do whatever senior listed players can. Not sure why they didn't just change it to 44 senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Hannan is good player. Ben Long traveled to Perth too. I reckon there should be a rule that if a player is drafted from your state league side then you can match offer with next pick like father son. Downside is we may not of got Adams if Eagles or Dockers whichever one he was aligned to chose him after our selection.

Geez Hannan is good player. Ben Long traveled to Perth too. I reckon there should be a rule that if a player is drafted from your state league side then you can match offer with next pick like father son. Downside is we may not of got Adams if Eagles or Dockers whichever one he was aligned to chose him after our selection.
Dockers are aligned to Peel and WC to East Perth while Adams played with West Perth.
We could have drafted Hannan and Long if we wanted,you'd think our recruiters would be able to get it right having seen them so closely. Fingers crossed they have,still early days but I was super keen on both.

Dockers are aligned to Peel and WC to East Perth while Adams played with West Perth.
We could have drafted Hannan and Long if we wanted,you'd think our recruiters would be able to get it right having seen them so closely. Fingers crossed they have,still early days but I was super keen on both.
Hannan is 23, Lipinski has shown plenty already for starters. We can't have everyone, sure Hannan and Long were good but happy with how we went last year at this stage.

Darth, I can tell you with 100% certainty that we drafted correctly. Long was taken at pick 25. For us to have gotten him we'd have needed to use our first round pick.
Now consider Hannan. He was taken at pick 42. For us to have gotten him we would have needed to use our second rounder. He has been good this year for Melbourne but he's what, 22? 23? Lipinski could be anything by that age. Judging by what he's shown so far he was the far better pick. It's no fault of our drafting that St Kilda and Melbourne reached for those guys. If they were around for our third or fourth we probably draft them.

Darth, I can tell you with 100% certainty that we drafted correctly. Long was taken at pick 25. For us to have gotten him we'd have needed to use our first round pick.
Now consider Hannan. He was taken at pick 42. For us to have gotten him we would have needed to use our second rounder. He has been good this year for Melbourne but he's what, 22? 23? Lipinski could be anything by that age. Judging by what he's shown so far he was the far better pick. It's no fault of our drafting that St Kilda and Melbourne reached for those guys. If they were around for our third or fourth we probably draft them.

Scrag this make sense and I agree with you.
So, are you feeling alright? Or am I severely sleep deprived?

I'm more than happy with the picks,was more pointing out Adams would be fair game as he's not aligned to Freo or WC either way.
I liked Long,as most did,but he went before we had any chance of getting him because English was a better option with that pick. I would have liked Hannan with our last pick or as a rookie but Melb decided to take a shot,good luck to them.
Happy with English,he seemed a bargain and Lipinski seems ok,Young looks excellent.
Being keen on players we didn't get is a far cry from not being happy with those we did. We can't have everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if Lipinski or Young even debuted this year.
I thought our drafting and who we delisted last year were excellent choices,a brilliant job with the exception of the Hamling story,but that ones just footy so you have to wear those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back