Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more than happy with the picks,was more pointing out Adams would be fair game as he's not aligned to Freo or WC either way.
I liked Long,as most did,but he went before we had any chance of getting him because English was a better option with that pick. I would have liked Hannan with our last pick or as a rookie but Melb decided to take a shot,good luck to them.
Happy with English,he seemed a bargain and Lipinski seems ok,Young looks excellent.
Being keen on players we didn't get is a far cry from not being happy with those we did. We can't have everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if Lipinski or Young even debuted this year.
I thought our drafting and who we delisted last year were excellent choices,a brilliant job with the exception of the Hamling story,but that ones just footy so you have to wear those.

Sorry mate, I misinterpreted you saying "you'd think our recruiters would be able to get it right" as meaning that you thought they'd made a mistake.

Darth, I can tell you with 100% certainty that we drafted correctly. Long was taken at pick 25. For us to have gotten him we'd have needed to use our first round pick.
Now consider Hannan. He was taken at pick 42. For us to have gotten him we would have needed to use our second rounder. He has been good this year for Melbourne but he's what, 22? 23? Lipinski could be anything by that age. Judging by what he's shown so far he was the far better pick. It's no fault of our drafting that St Kilda and Melbourne reached for those guys. If they were around for our third or fourth we probably draft them.
If my suggestion was a rule I agree Long was drafted to high I'm happy with Lipinski but I wonder which way Dal would go. Hannan at 42 was our next pick Greene?. I really like what I've heard about this young bloke but again would we take Hannan if he were available to us at Greenes pick and trump Demons. Young also looks like a great prospect very happy with all our young players.

If my suggestion was a rule I agree Long was drafted to high I'm happy with Lipinski but I wonder which way Dal would go. Hannan at 42 was our next pick Greene?. I really like what I've heard about this young bloke but again would we take Hannan if he were available to us at Greenes pick and trump Demons. Young also looks like a great prospect very happy with all our young players.

I think Young was our next pick after Hannan was taken. From what I'm hearing about Young we might have taken him over Hannan anyway.

Post 2009 season, the Hawks moved heaven and earth to secure Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson.

Both had played around 150 games at that point in their careers.

So, big call, but I reckon we should go really hard for Nat Fyfe. With th salary cap increase we must have something to play with, and I reckon we'd be a very attractive team for Fyfe who would clearly crave another crack at winning a grand final...

Post 2009 season, the Hawks moved heaven and earth to secure Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson.

Both had played around 150 games at that point in their careers.

So, big call, but I reckon we should go really hard for Nat Fyfe. With th salary cap increase we must have something to play with, and I reckon we'd be a very attractive team for Fyfe who would clearly crave another crack at winning a grand final...
Was just going to post that I'd be all over Martin.

I hope if we get any players from another club that Bev leaves it to the recruitment team to do their job.
Suckling was a shocking pick up and even though Cloke was cheap I could never see the point. Bev had a big hand in both those failed decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am unsure of any specifics, but thing seems to have unravelled culturally (hopefully only breifly). Hope I am wrong but some examples below ...

I would not have traded for Cloke. He is a slight upgrade on Redpath, though not significant enough. His 50 v Geelong was huge
The Stringer - JJ brother talk is distracting
JJ's contract talks
Personally I didn't like the Wallis disclosure of his frustration re: missing out last year. Think it, but don't let the press get hold of it

I also agree with many posters re: assistant coaches rotating roles. The impact on clearances in particular is obvious.

The best thing for these blokes would be to raise the white flag next week, head to Mooloolaba (with a full eski), iron out their challenges and come back for a real crack in the last 7 weeks.

I am unsure of any specifics, but thing seems to have unravelled culturally (hopefully only breifly). Hope I am wrong but some examples below ...

I would not have traded for Cloke. He is a slight upgrade on Redpath, though not significant enough. His 50 v Geelong was huge
The Stringer - JJ brother talk is distracting
JJ's contract talks
Personally I didn't like the Wallis disclosure of his frustration re: missing out last year. Think it, but don't let the press get hold of it

I also agree with many posters re: assistant coaches rotating roles. The impact on clearances in particular is obvious.

The best thing for these blokes would be to raise the white flag next week, head to Mooloolaba (with a full eski), iron out their challenges and come back for a real crack in the last 7 weeks.

Far out you lemmings love to squeel about anything when the chips are down don't you. Why don't you tell us how you also don't like that Bev cuts his own hair.

We really need someone who can mark overhead. More and more coming around to Casboult. Not cooked like Trav. A FA. Would be handy - failing someone better.

And Roughead - when fit and playing ruck, had he ever been anything better than 'competitive'?

Campbell isnt the answer either. Even Witts beat Goldy so last week means little.

Boyd hmmm - a ruck fwd I suppose.

So a ruck who can mark overhead and Casboult - maybe both..

Far out you lemmings love to squeel about anything when the chips are down don't you. Why don't you tell us how you also don't like that Bev cuts his own hair.

Lots of other possible factors and reasons for our struggles and this is all guesswork (as most of us mortals don't have access to the inner sanctum) - we are 1-3 since the Wallis story (which was just after a good win v Saints). Love Bevo - a lot of the above is outside of his control. Personally I hope keeps his hair as is!

With our trade and draft strategy this year, would it be beneficial to try and get a mass of 2018 draft points to make sure we can get West and Smith in the following draft?

Lots of other possible factors and reasons for our struggles and this is all guesswork (as most of us mortals don't have access to the inner sanctum) - we are 1-3 since the Wallis story (which was just after a good win v Saints). Love Bevo - a lot of the above is outside of his control. Personally I hope keeps his hair as is!

Yeah, Wallis doing an interview is definitely why we have lost 3 of our last 4 games. I can't believe he hasn't been punished by the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back