Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to trade Williams. I don't actually agree with trading good or potentially players. I prefer to trade low potential fringe players

I do think that it is possible to encourage contracted players to leave in a way that leaves all parties satisfied. And I recall Fronk running through exactly how it's done.

I do agree that it's rare to trade players out in the same year they re-sign. But it can happen and we shouldn't let that rareness stop us attempting to move on fringe players with limited potential (not Williams) if say it meant us getting say a Dangerfield, like Geelong did with Gore.

You gotta give up good players to get better players

All this talk about Williams and our other young guys. I remember a few months back there was some talk Crameri was out of favour and Adelaide were interested. It's kinda funny that he's not a player we've mentioned in the Lever debate.

All this talk about Williams and our other young guys. I remember a few months back there was some talk Crameri was out of favour and Adelaide were interested. It's kinda funny that he's not a player we've mentioned in the Lever debate.
At this stage Crameri will probably go to any club that's willing to offer him a 2 year, and not a 1 year contract, and we'll do the right thing by him and just trade him to that club for peanuts. I'm sure many clubs, including us ourselves, would be willing to offer him a 1 year deal on slightly-more-than-a-minimum but all it takes is the security of a 2 year deal from 1 of those multiple clubs for him to want to leave. I don't think he's going to be the difference in any blockbuster trade involving our likely top-10 pick.

Have not seen Tom rockliff's named mentioned much in this thread? What are people's opinions for him to join us? Don't know if his personality is as bad as what the media make out, maybe he just wasn't a good fit for captain which we all know can happen.
Noted goal kicker and pretty silky, I'd definitely be keen if he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not seen Tom rockliff's named mentioned much in this thread? What are people's opinions for him to join us? Don't know if his personality is as bad as what the media make out, maybe he just wasn't a good fit for captain which we all know can happen.
What

Rockliff is about as silky as Andrew Swallow. He's going on the worst kick in the league. Having said that, his contested work and tackling is excellent. But, yeah, no thanks.

So you're suggesting he should retire this year, and then saying he should make the decision of his own accord?

Yes, unless you would like them to sit in the vfl or injured for the second half of next season

This is interesting . Have heard what I can only describe a rumour that the our recruiters are interested . Most clubs would be I guess though . Often injured but could be handy .

Yes, unless you would like them to sit in the vfl or injured for the second half of next season
It's just that "of his own accord" means that the decision should be left up to him, which contradicts the rest of what you're saying.

I personally don't take issue with older players finishing their careers in the VFL and providing guidance for youngsters if their form drops off. There is nothing wrong with playing in the VFL. We have 45 players on our list, and only 22 can get selected each week. If you're not in the best 22 on a given week, you play VFL, contribute for Footscray and try to find some form that might see you promoted to the seniors. That applies to everyone from Lewis Youngest to Bob Oldest.

It's better to go one year too many than one year (or even worse, several years) too few. For every person saying Boyd should've retired last year with hindsight, there were four people clamouring for his retirement in 2014, before his resurgence. If he'd retired then, we almost definitely wouldn't be reigning premiers right now.

Morris was a star last year and he was playing well until he broke his leg this year. If a 26 year old had come back from a broken leg as strongly as Morris has, we'd be marvelling at how he was playing solid footy so quickly. It seems unreasonable to label his slight drop off as age related, when recovering from the broken leg could be an adequate explanation.

If he wants to go again, the club should absolutely let him. Best case scenario, he gets back near his 2016 form, is an absolute superstar, provides a wise head in a young backline and wins another premiership medal (or maybe even several more). Worst case scenario, he gets niggling injuries and his form drops off, but he still contributes to the club by teaching his younger teammates. There's a hell of a lot that Cordy, Adams, Young, Roberts, Collins and hopefully Lever could learn about defensive craft from Morris- he barely lost a one-on-one contest (in the air or on the ground) at all last year. Even that worst case is still a pretty good outcome. To me it seems like there is a lot of potential reward, with minimal risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back