Strategy Trade and List .Management thread 5 (...the post coitus cigarette. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be very nice, and pretty fair. Not sure we should be giving ANY change if we're getting pick 11, and a future draft pick is more valuable for us.
I know that generally it's Essendon fans that are laughed at for being delusional but take a deep breath and look around guys, there is absolutely 0 chance of you getting anything more than a pick 11 straight swap and even then I think we will be pushing very hard for some 'change'. The talk of a 2018 second rounder in addition to pick 11 as well is fanciful. You aren't trading 2015 Jake Stringer....

Can someone enlighten me as to what the problem with Stringer is ?
Has he become an axe murderer or something worse ?
I already know he has had a marriage break up , had form issues and sounds like he is not seeing eye to eye with the coach , but is there more to the story ?

I know that generally it's Essendon fans that are laughed at for being delusional but take a deep breath and look around guys, there is absolutely 0 chance of you getting anything more than a pick 11 straight swap and even then I think we will be pushing very hard for some 'change'. The talk of a 2018 second rounder in addition to pick 11 as well is fanciful. You aren't trading 2015 Jake Stringer....
You know he is contracted though, right? If he wasn’t it would be a completely different story

Re teams figuring out Stringer, it was probably more a fact of teams working out our handball happy style. More often than not teams were hanging off the hard ball winner ready to pounce on the receiver (Stringer for example).

Our most effective clearances were times when someone had the balls to have a crack at the goals, here I'm thinking Libba, McLean, Bont Daniel.

Yeah I agree mate. Pick 11 is the very best we can hope for but it doesn't look like it will be that simple.
Clubs are dropping off Jake very quickly after doing some due diligence.
2015 Jake and we would expect 2 first rounders, but unfortunately for the Bulldogs, Jakes issues seem to be more of a deterrent than his high potential.

I already know he has had a marriage break up , had form issues and sounds like he is not seeing eye to eye with the coach , but is there more to the story ?

I'm with you King. Some posters keep alluding to some greater issue. Can someone, even in general terms, post something vaguely hinting at the issue/s?

E.g. Alcohol, illegal substances, closet NMFC membership...

We won't be getting change.

Dogs will want pick 11 + something for Stringer. We'll push 11 for Stringer + change.

Result will be 11 for Stringer and both parties will feel slightly hard done by.

You know he is contracted though, right? If he wasn’t it would be a completely different story
I hear what you are saying, but contracts these days aren't worth the paper they are written on and this situation is vastly different to Gibbs last year. Your mob doesn't want him at the club and I know you will write back saying 'well we will just keep him then and he can sit out a year unless' but that's just not a realistic scenario mate, it isn't going to happen. The only time it did happen was with Cam McCarthy and it actually diminished his trade value the following year when he did get traded.

Not seeing "eye to eye with the coach" is somewhat problematic for any player King. I doubt we'll ever know what the true issue is, but at this stage talk of other teams not exactly clamouring for (and those that have appear to be lukewarm at best) on the contract of a player as talented as Jake has always sent a pretty clear signal to me. Of course all of this could change come trade week(s) but Im not at all hopeful in this regard.

Should it eventuate, I can live with pick 11 and moving on.

Two first rounders worked out ok for us the last time we had the opportunity...oh, wait who're we talking about agin?

Not sure if this is the thread for it but seeing the other clubs making asst announcements was wondering whether there was any mail around Dogs. Would really like to see some changes in this area for us (asst and director or coaching). Credit to the Tigers for the Balme and asst changes they made - must be at least a reasonable factor in their performance this year.

If this is true that clubs are pulling away, I could see Connors trying to sell being a one club player to Jake and gauging if he is able to turn things around or his value is going to be stunted not just in the short term...

People are misunderstanding me. This is all hypothetical given he won’t be going to North. I don’t want Goldstein. BUT I would take him for 2 years at $350-400 if it got us from pick 9 to pick 4 in a draft that has 5-6 standouts (in the club’s opinion - I have no idea) then it falls away.

I understand it's all hypothetical, I just don't understand why you would be entertaining it.

Anyway, it's interesting what you said about the 5-6 standouts in this year's draft. I don't disagree with that, but I don't disagree with Shifter either in that this year's top 5 is not as good compared to other years. So yeah, I don't think it's worth going that hard for a top 5 pick this year. I think we would be better going hard for a first in next years draft instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all this saga since the start till now there is only one thing we know for sure Jake is contracted to the Dogs in 2018.

Apart from that I am not 100% convinced on anything. I would go as far as to say I doubt Geelong were even interested in Jake.

Dannnn I think you might be underplaying how much the decision makers at clubs know about the various players at other clubs.

Stringer's issues are well enough known that almost every Victorian club has passed on Jake without showing more than a glimmer of interest. And most of the well connected media people describe Stringer as damaged goods, or as a huge gamble. Given Stringer's prodigious talent, every club should happily part with a top 10 pick and $750k a year for a 23 year old prodigy. But they aren't. And that isn't because of anything the club did.
Fair points. I think from the outside looking in, without understanding the context around the decision, it's difficult to see how things got so untenable. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where the relationship has become so toxic that the club just wants to be rid of such a talent - particularly when you have individuals who were inside the club (like Murphy) suggesting that they're surprised it has come to this. From that perspective it's easy to see how one could be frustrated with the club for making it pretty clear that he won't be back next year and lessening our bargaining power. I do understand your point about clubs already being across this type of thing, though - I probably was/am being a little harsh on the club.

We won't be getting change.

Dogs will want pick 11 + something for Stringer. We'll push 11 for Stringer + change.

Result will be 11 for Stringer and both parties will feel slightly hard done by.

What's the saying 'when both parties feel hard done by, it's probably a fair deal '...

Not sure if this is the thread for it but seeing the other clubs making asst announcements was wondering whether there was any mail around Dogs. Would really like to see some changes in this area for us (asst and director or coaching). Credit to the Tigers for the Balme and asst changes they made - must be at least a reasonable factor in their performance this year.
The return of Leppitsch plus some good drafting and trading by Richmond ( Finally, they have struggled in this area in the past), very few injuries,a favourable draw and dominant seasons from their elite and low and behold they are in the GF. Two home finals too.

Barrett been saying for a fortnight that Stringer is damaged goods and worth a second round pick at best

Today he writes an article comparing Stringer to Dustin Martin and stating that Stringer is a better credentialed player than Dusty and a prodigious footballing talent. Even suggests that Stringer could provide Geelong or Essendon a GF!

Either he is a great player and the Dogs should get compensated accordingly, or he's damaged goods and we should be bending over for whatever crumbs fall our way?

I have said it before, but Damien Barrett is a grub. Bevo should have bent those glasses around his pin shaped head at the last Brownlow when he found him in the toilets and done the rest of us a favour by finishing his football journalism career.

Rant over...

Barrett been saying for a fortnight that Stringer is damaged goods and worth a second round pick at best

Today he writes an article comparing Stringer to Dustin Martin and stating that Stringer is a better credentialed player than Dusty and a prodigious footballing talent. Even suggests that Stringer could provide Geelong or Essendon a GF!

Either he is a great player and the Dogs should get compensated accordingly, or he's damaged goods and we should be bending over for whatever crumbs fall our way?

I have said it before, but Damien Barrett is a grub. Bevo should have bent those glasses around his pin shaped head at the last Brownlow when he found him in the toilets and done the rest of us a favour by finishing his football journalism career.

Rant over...
He said that? WTF. I can't keep up

Maybe he ran into Beveridge in the toilets last night and was struck by a sudden change of heart.

Rant over...
Blame everything on Damian barrett!

Rant over...
Maybe he hates Essendon as much as us and is trying to push the price back up.

Or maybe the wind just started blowing from a different direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back