Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would people feel about this over trade period and draft

In Pick 7, R.West, Khamis, Roughead (Hawks) and a player such as Billings/Martin etc (a player who plays a specific role) and we keep Liber and Wallis.
Even if it's an Ah Chee or Duggan I'd very happy with that. Make pick 7 Smith and I'm over the ****ing moon.

Gee BF is a strange place. Basically the same posters that want all our assistant coaches sacked want to hold on to players who have been below avarage for 2 years.
Surely you can’t have it both ways?? You either support a clean out or you persevere with who got you to the holy grail in 16.
I’d be cleaning out and taking all picks to the draft unless a player under the age of 23 wants to come to us. We aren’t winning the flag next year. Keep building and put our list in a spot to contend for a few years from 2020 onwards.

From the Bains interview:

It was clear pretty early from both sides Dahl would be going.
Doesn't sound like we were close to keeping him. Sounds like we were a fair way from Geelong's offer.
Didn't enquire about what the compo would be before making the decision.
Didn't someone post half way through the year that Dahl had sold his house in Williamstown (?) and was building one in Geelong?
Cats were almost certainly into him before this year. Maybe as soon as it was apparent he'd fallen out of love with the Dogs?

Gee BF is a strange place. Basically the same posters that want all our assistant coaches sacked want to hold on to players who have been below avarage for 2 years.
Surely you can’t have it both ways?? You either support a clean out or you persevere with who got you to the holy grail in 16.
I’d be cleaning out and taking all picks to the draft unless a player under the age of 23 wants to come to us. We aren’t winning the flag next year. Keep building and put our list in a spot to contend for a few years from 2020 onwards.
The issue is that the assistant coaches that took their lines to the flag are no longer there and have been shifted to another area, which clearly hasn't worked.

2016 Coaches (Present Coaches)
Forwards - Gia (Hansen)
Backs - Smith (King)
Midfield - King (Corey)
Stoppages - Corey (Gia)

Didn't someone post half way through the year that Dahl had sold his house in Williamstown (?) and was building one in Geelong?
Cats were almost certainly into him before this year. Maybe as soon as it was apparent he'd fallen out of love with the Dogs?
It's funny, we get little snippets of it and gnash our teeth for ages but they've decided months ago.

We get attached to players, we don't get attached to assistant coaches.

The issue is that the assistant coaches that took their lines to the flag are no longer there and have been shifted to another area, which clearly hasn't worked.

2016 Coaches (Present Coaches)
Forwards - Gia (Hansen)
Backs - Smith (King)
Midfield - King (Corey)
Stoppages - Corey (Gia)
So are you saying they should be moved back to where they were or should be sacked because they can’t coach in different areas. Cos if that’s the case we should be sacking half our list after the last 2 seasons.
Bevo tried some things both with coaches and players that clearly havent worked. Will be interesting to see how he plays his cards this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are you saying they should be moved back to where they were or should be sacked because they can’t coach in different areas. Cos if that’s the case we should be sacking half our list after the last 2 seasons.
Bevo tried some things both with coaches and players that clearly havent worked. Will be interesting to see how he plays his cards this year.
Obviously a full clean out isn't necessary but some questions need to be asked. Like why were they moved in the first place? Or why were they then unchanged after a disappointing 2017 season? I suspect one or two should be moved on in favour of some outside blood, but it seems as though Bevo likes to have full control, which can be a dangerous mechanism.

On the Jarryd Roughead situation.

Dogs have put forward a 2 year playing contract with coaching aspect after playing. Similar to the Hodge and Mitchell deals.

On the Hawks side of things they are interested as Roughy will be on 750k at Hawthorn and require more space in the cap to acquire Wingard and either Shiel or Lynch. Hawks will pay about 300k of the salary meaning the Dogs are up for 450k.

Roughed is torn as he can see the benefit but also loves the Hawks so much and the idea of being a one club player means a lot to him.

Hawks have left the decision up to Jarryd and it may come down to if they get a commitment from Wingard and either Shiel or Lynch then he will accept the move to the Doggies.

Not going to say this is my source or that I heard it from here. This is Big Footy so take it as you please just passing it on.

I much prefer the hawthorn strategy to ours in this particular situation.

Last edited:
For those who watch VFL would I be right to think that Hayes will be something like a Honeychurch/Dahlhaus style player?
Foot-soldier like mid who would have gotten games this year during our injury crisis. Lack's Dahlhaus' ability to bounce back up off the ground but isn't a hot-potato football like HC.
More a footballer than an athlete which isn't a bad thing.

Doubt he lasts to rookie draft. Pick in the 50-70 range is more likely.
He didn't get a National combine invite which is good for us.

Do like the Roughead idea. Sure Josh Schache would be the happiest man at the club if that eventuates.

Also it’s not just on our board but I don’t like when posters dismiss trade options simply because they aren’t young.

Sure you don’t overstock with 29+ year olds but these players can still be valuable additions, which you don’t have to give up much to get, and can assist in group development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back