Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we try to coax Marshall out of Port?
Feel like we need a more agile athletic type.

Maybe Bruce from St Kilda?
Marshall has looked really good for sure. If there's any chance we should explore it. I was looking to players that are a bit further down the pecking order though as unfortunately I have little faith in us attracting quality, well-regarded talent at present.

Not sure what's happened to Bruce - looked ok a few years back but seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. I have a very small amount of information to go off of since then as I'd rather extract my retinas with a rusted pitchfork than watch St Kilda play for a single second.

Maybe Bruce from St Kilda
?
don't see the Saints letting him go without wanting the world in return. Would be a good get though. Had a season ending injury i believe, can't remember what it was though.

Edit: ok, looked it up, missed a few months with stress fractures in his back, and then just as he was about to return, broke his leg at training... :oops:

Last edited:

Boyd (swapping Trengrove)and Schache talls. Gowers plays tall and we have jongy who can fly.
Roberts although suited down back can play as a tall ICE. Naughtiness showed he can flip and there is a guy called Roughead who hasn’t said he’s leaving who clunked a few late in the year. He visited the Eagles but they seem to be covering many bases for an extra tall and given the lack of announcements, I’d suggest no guarantees from them yet.
Unsure if we really have a need for another tall or whether we need a bit of patience,Boyd to feel right and some better delivery.

I reckon you could do way better than Bruce from the Saints, he's an 'okay' player but is better suited to having another two big targets in the forward-line with him, I can't see him being the main focus.

I was hoping the Blues picked up Marshall in his draft year but the Power got him, has plenty of upside but it's hard to see them parting company with him.

giphy.gif

No way we are flipping a pick this year for one next year. We have too many list spots to fill.
It really depends on who we actually lose.

Out: Dahlhaus, Biggs, Collins, Redpath, Smith, then maybe: Roughead, Honeychurch, Campbell, Webb, Adams

Between 5-10 outs.

In: Lloyd, first round pick, West, Khamis, Lynch upgrade, Gowers upgrade

Six guaranteed ins.

I imagine that if it looks like we're not going to be bringing in much other than Lloyd, guys like Honeychurch, Roughead and Campbell will get offered another contract rather than have us take a bunch of really late picks.

I'm not sure pushing a pick to 2019 is the best option but it could potentially happen.

It really depends on who we actually lose.

Out: Dahlhaus, Biggs, Collins, Redpath, Smith, then maybe: Roughead, Honeychurch, Campbell, Webb, Adams

Between 5-10 outs.

In: Lloyd, first round pick, West, Khamis, Lynch upgrade, Gowers upgrade

Six guaranteed ins.

I imagine that if it looks like we're not going to be bringing in much other than Lloyd, guys like Honeychurch, Roughead and Campbell will get offered another contract rather than have us take a bunch of really late picks.

I'm not sure pushing a pick to 2019 is the best option but it could potentially happen.

The way I see it is if we are going through a period of high turnover it is better to use our tickets now so we can move on people who don’t work in the next 12 months.

It gives more options for player success and failure and thus a chance to replenish our side faster.

There isn't a lot. I have varying levels of interest in the following, but I'm not sold on any of them:
  • Elliott Himmelberg - young option, think he can play but not a guarantee. May get more game time now that McGovern is gone.
  • Sam Skinner - my personal favourite; definitely think he can play but ACLs a huge problem.
  • Levi Casboult - covered previously.
  • James Stewart - not perfect, not a true key forward, but can kick goals and has a bit of experience.
  • Harry Himmelberg - not a true key forward but very talented. GWS like him though.
No idea on contract statuses; I'd suggest most of them are signed. State league isn't my forte.

Harry Himmelberg is who I want from that list. Hopefully we have asked the question.

Surely we need another key forward mate? We were short this year, and redpath is obviously gone.

I’m not sold on obrien, but interested in what he’s worth (clearly bugger all from the reaction here).

I’m not keen on buzza

What would Hugh Dixon from Freo cost?

Was solid in the wafl in his first year and if Freo get want Lobb and hogan they will need a pick between late teens to mid 20s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it is if we are going through a period of high turnover it is better to use our tickets now so we can move on people who don’t work in the next 12 months.

It gives more options for player success and failure and thus a chance to replenish our side faster.

That was the move we should have done last year, we are 12 months behind now

Harry Himmelberg is who I want from that list. Hopefully we have asked the question.

He is already good and will be a star. Can't see the Giants letting him go and if they did, they would rightfully want a lot. They'd move Patton on before Himmelberg.

So far it appears we are not in the race or actively pursuing for any highly skilled quick small forwards/midfielders which would be astonishing if is the case. I would confidently say there would be 30 players in state leagues, afl lists not getting games or even 2nd tier comps who would have skills that complement our list better than HC. If HC gets another contract and we do not draft/ trade for quick skilled mids/smalls our recruiting team is a worry.

Hopefully they have something up there sleeve but I have a feeling it is bare. Lloyd does not fit the above criteria

Smith more of a half back flanker/midfielder. Should we pass on him if he's there at 7?
As a disclaimer to that post, I don't know a great deal about this draft and therefore shouldn't be saying who we should/should not pass on haha

I just think we desperately need class in the forward line. Smith seems to have some traits we could use in midfield though and by all reports is a great young fella. If we take him I of course won't be upset, he may well end up playing forward in his early days anyway.

Just feel we won't go anywhere significant until we find some forwards who can regularly pose threats. We won the flag largely because we found a variety of new avenues to goal in the finals which weren't really there during the H&A season (Clay, Picken, Boyd in GF). They supported Dickson as our only real consistent multiple goalscorer for the season (Stringer bobbed up a bit and helped a lot in the semi final too). A player who can become a smart, genuine, threatening forward is top of my list for the Dogs

So far it appears we are not in the race or actively pursuing for any highly skilled quick small forwards/midfielders which would be astonishing if is the case. I would confidently say there would be 30 players in state leagues, afl lists not getting games or even 2nd tier comps who would have skills that complement our list better than HC. If HC gets another contract and we do not draft/ trade for quick skilled mids/smalls our recruiting team is a worry.

Hopefully they have something up there sleeve but I have a feeling it is bare. Lloyd does not fit the above criteria

How can you tell that we aren't actively pursuing the type of player you mention? Just because it's not being reported on doesn't mean it's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back