Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be 100% in favour of moving Dunkley on and making a play for Sicily from the Hawks. He's a RFA so no draft cost, and is one of the strongest 1 on 1 defenders in the competition, in addition to being a strong rebounder. Sicily has a history of absolutely monstering some of the better key forwards despite being "undersized" for a KPD, and I honestly think would partner up well with Gardner + Keath for the next few years.
I would go after one of the Fremantle defenders

I'd love to, but I have concerns some concerns:
  • Hamling was never a consistent performer for us - he improved a lot in the latter half of 2016 but otherwise was pretty average prior to that. He's been better at Freo, but was dropped in favour of Cox, and Logue was selected ahead of him once Pearce got injured.
  • Pearce is incredibly injury prone. Even if he wasn't, he's basically their stand-in captain with Fyfe out, so can't see him being easily convinced to leave.
  • Logue is basically just a slightly better Cordy - he's undersized and I can't really see him improving us drastically.
  • Cox is the one I'd pick ahead of any others, but I imagine would be difficult to poach since he's a first choice defender for Freo

We would turn them into a ruck or a forward.

Roughead, Adams and Young were all on our list at one stage and are all playing as defenders at other clubs.

We would turn them into a ruck or a forward.

Roughead, Adams and Young were all on our list at one stage and are all playing as defenders at other clubs.
To be fair, Adams we tried to retain but he kept wanting out, can't hold a player hostage forever. Young is really no better at Carlton, and only getting a game because Liam Jones unexpectedly retired, and Oscar McDonald got injured. He is clearly a lesser player than Gardner and Cordy.

I'd be 100% in favour of moving Dunkley on and making a play for Sicily from the Hawks. He's a RFA so no draft cost, and is one of the strongest 1 on 1 defenders in the competition, in addition to being a strong rebounder. Sicily has a history of absolutely monstering some of the better key forwards despite being "undersized" for a KPD, and I honestly think would partner up well with Gardner + Keath for the next few years.

Plus Sicily fits the criterion of Bulldogs supporter, so he must be merely biding his time before fulfilling his career ambition to play out his days at the Whitten Oval.

To be fair, Adams we tried to retain but he kept wanting out, can't hold a player hostage forever. Young is really no better at Carlton, and only getting a game because Liam Jones unexpectedly retired, and Oscar McDonald got injured. He is clearly a lesser player than Gardner and Cordy.

Jury is out on Young he has just started at Carlton but I think been settled in defence he will play for them going forward.

BUT Roughead and Adams have become better defenders at their new clubs

And I forgot about Liam Jones he definitely was a defender we could have used.

Jury is out on Young he has just started at Carlton but I think been settled in defence he will play for them going forward.

BUT Roughead and Adams have become better defenders at their new clubs

And I forgot about Liam Jones he definitely was a defender we could have used.
I won't argue re: Roughead, but I don't necessarily agree about Adams. I think he was a legitimately great defender with us (not AA level, but very reliable and probably not far off where Keath is at now), he was just so damn injury prone. Jones was a funny one - legitimately awful in the limited time we trialled him as a KPD (not even sure this lasted longer than a game or two, can't really remember that far back), and even Carlton recruited him as a KPF before moving him down back where everything suddenly clicked for him.

Would be a great get but I don’t see Gardner playing if we got him Gardner would become depth and it would be a Keath Sicily pairing with a third tall.

Would be a great get but I don’t see Gardner playing if we got him Gardner would become depth and it would be a Keath Sicily pairing with a third tall.
Honestly not the worst result. Gardner's skillset could theoretically make him a very good defender (he has pace, good reach, a good kick), but he's clearly still got a lot of room for improvement. If, in the immediate future, we had a setup of Keath + Sicily + O'Brien, we could have Gardner eventually find his way into the side in a couple years' time at Keath's expense (once he slows down) or be injury cover. It would mean we could actually have competent KPD depth, instead of constantly going in short whenever we lose Keath.

I really do hope that if Sicily remains uncontracted by the end of the season, we offer him a contract. He be such a good fit with us, instantly improve our defence, and could be paid for with what Dunkley would have demanded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching our AFL player in the VFL this year has been A bit confronting to be honest. There seems to be a lack of talent coming through.
Garcia - like him but skill by foot could hold him back
West - has ability but have to question his attitude, selfish player
Cleary - like him, a defender that can defend and is neat by foot but needs time
bedendo - like this guy would add a dimension to our forward line, needs to find a bit more in applying Pressure and finding a bit more ball
Raak - like him similar to Cleary defends well and neat by foot
Parker - first game but didn’t see much for a guy of his age
Crozier - in our best 25 players
Khamis - shows good signs as a third tall but still loses his man a lot
Martin - past it
Sweet - doesn’t do enough and seems to be no faith in him form the coaching staff
Schache - won’t make it
McComb - VFL standard mid
Roarke - role Player and depth at best
Jones - liked what I saw yesterday, speed, intent to take the game on, needs time

Obviously we have JJ, McLean, Bruce and Keath our injured who are in our best team or at least best 25. And Darcy who would be a developing tall.

But our other outs Hannan and Cordy I don’t think they should be in our best team.

We clearly need a couple of ready made talls and some draftee talls. Some more natural forwards as only bedendo is a forward of the list above.

I would not be against letting Dunkley, Dale, Schache, Cordy, West and Wallis go. As well as moving on Martin and Butler. It’s a deep cut but surely frees up some cap space to get some ready to go key position players, we will have draft assets to get in some talent.

Dale can be replaced through Richards, Daniel, Williams, Crozier, plus we have duryea and we could go more defensive with a Raak or Cleary if they develop.

Dunkley and west you lose a best 22 mid and depth player but it just means more centre bounce minutes for Bont, Macrae, Smith, Libba and Treloar and potentially an opportunity for Garcia, plus potentially a draftee.

Schache and Cordy don’t do the job anyway so may as well try some other players from other clubs and the draft. Get a best 22 key defender, Gardner becomes depth and you also potentially have Dacry developing If seen as a defender or a drafted developing down there, plus O’Brien and khamis.

A lot of teams that had sustained success let some players go that were best 22 to get what they needed to succeed it’s time we did the same

Watching our AFL player in the VFL this year has been A bit confronting to be honest. There seems to be a lack of talent coming through.
Garcia - like him but skill by foot could hold him back
West - has ability but have to question his attitude, selfish player
Cleary - like him, a defender that can defend and is neat by foot but needs time
bedendo - like this guy would add a dimension to our forward line, needs to find a bit more in applying Pressure and finding a bit more ball
Raak - like him similar to Cleary defends well and neat by foot
Parker - first game but didn’t see much for a guy of his age
Crozier - in our best 25 players
Khamis - shows good signs as a third tall but still loses his man a lot
Martin - past it
Sweet - doesn’t do enough and seems to be no faith in him form the coaching staff
Schache - won’t make it
McComb - VFL standard mid
Roarke - role Player and depth at best
Jones - liked what I saw yesterday, speed, intent to take the game on, needs time

Obviously we have JJ, McLean, Bruce and Keath our injured who are in our best team or at least best 25. And Darcy who would be a developing tall.

But our other outs Hannan and Cordy I don’t think they should be in our best team.

We clearly need a couple of ready made talls and some draftee talls. Some more natural forwards as only bedendo is a forward of the list above.

I would not be against letting Dunkley, Dale, Schache, Cordy, West and Wallis go. As well as moving on Martin and Butler. It’s a deep cut but surely frees up some cap space to get some ready to go key position players, we will have draft assets to get in some talent.

Dale can be replaced through Richards, Daniel, Williams, Crozier, plus we have duryea and we could go more defensive with a Raak or Cleary if they develop.

Dunkley and west you lose a best 22 mid and depth player but it just means more centre bounce minutes for Bont, Macrae, Smith, Libba and Treloar and potentially an opportunity for Garcia, plus potentially a draftee.

Schache and Cordy don’t do the job anyway so may as well try some other players from other clubs and the draft. Get a best 22 key defender, Gardner becomes depth and you also potentially have Dacry developing If seen as a defender or a drafted developing down there, plus O’Brien and khamis.

A lot of teams that had sustained success let some players go that were best 22 to get what they needed to succeed it’s time we did the same
I love Garcia, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player so unnatural with their kicking motion. Every time he goes for a kick, he looks like one of those athletes who play another sport, then come along for a photo shoot and try kicking a footy for the first time. I don't know if he only picked up footy later in his youth, but he looks so uncomfortable kicking. His pace and hardness are otherwise just about unmatched on our list.

I love Garcia, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player so unnatural with their kicking motion. Every time he goes for a kick, he looks like one of those athletes who play another sport, then come along for a photo shoot and try kicking a footy for the first time. I don't know if he only picked up footy later in his youth, but he looks so uncomfortable kicking. His pace and hardness are otherwise just about unmatched on our list.

Agree completely the only thing likely to stop him making it is his foot skills, he has everything else but foot skills and height

Have another dip at Ben McKay. He's still not a fixture at norf.

I guarantee we are the side offering McStay 6 years

Think back to the Willy days, at any game you’d have possibly 4 tall forwards trying to play together in the one side, same down back. As you knew most wouldn’t make it you keep drafting them - take a look at Footscray and we can’t even field a proper team! Even the talls out there are only vfl listed anyway. How have we allowed this to happen? Probably stems down to the angry midget running the club I suppose
I can't see a scenario where we find another Redpath or Dickson type. Seems all the mature agers we recruit these days are random midfielders/flankers, and we run with the bare minimum for talls in the VFL side. I don't get the fixation with small mids when we have such little need for them in the senior side

I intend this as a fully serious question. Basically, I understand that Hansen's departure caught us off guard, so having King and Hansen both leave at once left us in a pretty bad spot coaching-wise. Bringing Webb in is a move I would have been happy with no matter what, as he has extensive experience working under Lyon as well as seeing success in the WAFL. What I don't get is Spangher.

What exactly qualifies Spangher to work as an assistant coach at what should be one of the most dominant clubs in the competition? We make a grand final, and suddenly bring in a guy who has job hopped between different "development manager" type roles at different non-AFL organisations. From what I understand, this is basically his first coaching gig, and he's not even coming in as a development coach, but an actual full assistant coach.

I can't see a scenario where we find another Redpath or Dickson type. Seems all the mature agers we recruit these days are random midfielders/flankers, and we run with the bare minimum for talls in the VFL side. I don't get the fixation with small mids when we have such little need for them in the senior side
Joshua Chatfield looks ok might be worth having a look

I intend this as a fully serious question. Basically, I understand that Hansen's departure caught us off guard, so having King and Hansen both leave at once left us in a pretty bad spot coaching-wise. Bringing Webb in is a move I would have been happy with no matter what, as he has extensive experience working under Lyon as well as seeing success in the WAFL. What I don't get is Spangher.

What exactly qualifies Spangher to work as an assistant coach at what should be one of the most dominant clubs in the competition? We make a grand final, and suddenly bring in a guy who has job hopped between different "development manager" type roles at different non-AFL organisations. From what I understand, this is basically his first coaching gig, and he's not even coming in as a development coach, but an actual full assistant coach.

Great question. Would love this to be put to the club and see their response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back