Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. Would love this to be put to the club and see their response.
"Matt is of outstanding character, with deep knowledge of the game, bringing fresh ideas from a background of on-field success."

You just know this is the kind of line the club will push. Like honestly, if I found out he had been doing coaching programs off-field in his playing days, and been working with the state leagues, then fine. But on the surface, he sounds like he's way out of his depth and it reeks of nepotism from Bevo. I'd hope that's not the case

Do we though? Would we be that worse of a team if we let say Dunkley and dale go and used that money on a best 22 key back and a ruck/forward?

Or financially a draftee would cost similar to these rookie blokes that aren’t up to it. And the draftee has scope to improve.
completely agree with you and ai was only stating the potential reason to your question.

Losing Dunkley wouldn't worry me in the slightest

The idea of us finishing out of the top 8 this year and getting a band one compo for Josh Dunkley doesn't sound so bad actually.

The idea of us finishing out of the top 8 this year and getting a band one compo for Josh Dunkley doesn't sound so bad actually.

That's right. There's always a silver lining. Remember how bleak things were at the end of 2014? Who could have imagined that we were two years from a flag.

Or who can forget the Battle of Helm's Deep (spoiler alert), when all seemed lost, right before Gandalf showed up?

Yes, things may be bad now. The season may be lost. But my Bulldog Brothers, I swear to you on my sacred Doggies scarf, we will rise again, stronger than before!

Huge off season coming up. We need to go guns blazing for another key back and a solid second ruckman who can play forward. Our draft should be full of talls and smart small forwards with pace.

What I don’t understand is why we reportedly was offering such a poorly paid assistant roles, we have made profits every year including in a COVID year, yet it feels like we are still just scraping by.

Dunkley isn’t a free agent, he would need to be traded to get wherever he wanted to go, if he wants to go at all. I don’t see him leaving,

I suspect English may want to go back to WA, Eagles will have a big crack but it will cost them their first rounder

Of the others out of contract I think another club will have a big crack at prizing Dale out who is a free agent but Daniel and Smith will re-sign

Cordy, McLean, Wallis , Butler, Duryea, Martin, McComb, West, Schache JJ, Bendendo, Parker, Khamis, Keath, Hannan are others out of contract

Duryea and Keath both 30+ are the most important out of that lot which says along about the depth of our list. Obviously a few of the others will be retained but they are top ups (apart from McLean who is best 25 but he is coming off 2 knee recon’s)

Would be a great get but I don’t see Gardner playing if we got him Gardner would become depth and it would be a Keath Sicily pairing with a third tall.
Sicily is shorter than Dunkley, Macrae and Bont.

If we target a 189cm intercepting defender and try and turn him into a KPD we should immediately fire our list management team for gross stupidity.

What exactly qualifies Spangher to work as an assistant coach at what should be one of the most dominant clubs in the competition? We make a grand final, and suddenly bring in a guy who has job hopped between different "development manager" type roles at different non-AFL organisations. From what I understand, this is basically his first coaching gig, and he's not even coming in as a development coach, but an actual full assistant coach.

It does seem weird. Webb is very very highly regarded, Spangher is... a good bloke I guess.

"Matt is of outstanding character, with deep knowledge of the game, bringing fresh ideas from a background of on-field success."

You just know this is the kind of line the club will push. Like honestly, if I found out he had been doing coaching programs off-field in his playing days, and been working with the state leagues, then fine. But on the surface, he sounds like he's way out of his depth and it reeks of nepotism from Bevo. I'd hope that's not the case
In his interview during the preseason - and fair enough, he has to get to know the players - he said he was watching them basically coaching each other. Maybe he hasn’t quite started coaching them yet… 🙁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With West Coast rebuilding they would want to split their first pick into 2 and flick us one and keep the other.

Either way, wouldn't be great for us with the amount of time we have spent developing the guy. It's disadvantaged us in a lot of games for us to get him where he is now.

Huge off season coming up. We need to go guns blazing for another key back and a solid second ruckman who can play forward. Our draft should be full of talls and smart small forwards with pace.
We need at the very least one genuine Key Back who could walk into the 22, 1 or 2 genuine developing KPD's, 1 developing ruck as well as a KPF who can give 20% ruck providing we keep English,1or2 Developing KPF's as well as 2 speedy genuine small forwards one for the now one to develop and reduce the number of Mid sized players who are versatile but end up playing roles they will never be at the required level but play there due to have too many of this type of player.

It is really hard to develop any type of player if you do not bring them into the system.

We had clear issues in our list profile at the end of last season, yet we brought in more of the same for our later and pre season picks and did not trade in anything the develop and we wonder why we looked to have dropped off so quickly.

While we were very fortunate to get the No. 1 and 2 picks in consecutive drafts while playing finals, it has really hamstrung us and used alot of assets in the process. We won't reap the benefits of drafting Jamara and Darcy for 5 years.

In hindsight we probably should have let Dunkley go to Essendon and used the pick/picks on needs, although most supporters (me included) were happy with the hard stance the club took.

The time is now to get aggressive and take a few chances in terms of list management, I'd hate to see the Bont's golden years fizzle out on 5-8 finishes. Go down the path Melbourne did and use future firsts for needs now, trade a valuable asset/s to get a key back (Dunkley, Dale etc) and be aggressive in free agency. All our key players will be locked away long term by the end of the year so we will have a clearer picture of how much cap is available, front end back end I don't care just go and get a CHB and a Ruck.

With West Coast rebuilding they would want to split their first pick into 2 and flick us one and keep the other.

Either way, wouldn't be great for us with the amount of time we have spent developing the guy. It's disadvantaged us in a lot of games for us to get him where he is now.

Would depend on where they finish relative to us. If they finish in bottom couple and us higher up ladder they will hold bargaining power with the pre season draft where he could walk for free

If we finish lower than West Coast we hold more bargaining power.

He is worth a top 10 pick in my opinion but let’s hope he stays with us

Yes but he’s also 100% peaked with his capacity to play football. The Daniel we have right now is best case scenario the Daniel we have for another 5 years. There is no further development available.

I agree, it’s a good deal but there are big risks attached to that long a term with the limitations he possesses as a player.
There are, but he’s a player I can see enduring. He’s rarely missed much footy and he’s been a consistent performer in multiple roles.

I think we’re probably getting an annual discount for length. Better this than rewarding an inconsistent player off the back of a breakout season.

May as well get this started now for the ones out of contract

Delist:
Martin
Wallis
Hannan
Schache
Butler
Bedendo (Unless he shows something)
Cordy

Trade Potential:
Dunkley
West

Resign:
McLean (pending knee)
Johannisen (pending price)
Daniel
English (pending he wants too)
Dale
Keath
B.Smith
Garcia
Duryea
Khamis

May as well get this started now for the ones out of contract

Delist:
Martin
Wallis
Hannan
Schache
Butler
Bedendo (Unless he shows something)
Cordy

Trade Potential:
Dunkley
West

Resign:
McLean (pending knee)
Johannisen (pending price)
Daniel
English (pending he wants too)
Dale
Keath
B.Smith
Garcia
Duryea
Khamis
I definitely reckon we'll re-sign Hannan and Cordy (whether they "deserve" it is subjective - I'm no fan of either but I feel the club will probably keep them around), and probably Butler too. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the bigger names go. Probably English or Dale

I definitely reckon we'll re-sign Hannan and Cordy (whether they "deserve" it is subjective - I'm no fan of either but I feel the club will probably keep them around), and probably Butler too. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the bigger names go. Probably English or Dale
I think we will too however I can't justify them myself. Butler has shown an inability to step up to the level and Hannan and Cordy are both just nowhere near league standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back