Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he limit himself to Pies or Blues. Surely there'd be a lot suitors, wouldn't even have to leave Vic as he'd be right for several teams.

We can't give everyone who deserves midfield time as it it is. I hope he does well elsewhere if he goes.
His manager woudl have been talking to clubs for months. I assume they are the teams that offered the best terms

His manager woudl have been talking to clubs for months. I assume they are the teams that offered the best terms

They'd never do that 🤪

Would you swap English for Sean Darcy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best case would be we make the GF and have a couple of injuries and Lipinski comes in to play mid all game, gets 30+ touches and kicks 3 goals and gets the norm, imagine then 😳

Missed the point. The poster suggested they couldn’t care about bringing in a dickhead if it bring the club success.

I believe having a strong culture is more likely to bring us team success than a star studded list with potentially divisive figures amongst the playing group.

Considering 4/5 players mentioned have never experienced the ultimate team success, it seems a pretty good indication that bringing in those individuals that are ‘potentially ‘ dickheads may hinder rather than enable the opportunity for team success.

I am not old enough to have watched Ablett senior or Lockett, but considering the stories (Ablett’s drug abuse and Lockett’s priority of kicking more goals that dunstall than his side winning) suggests to me that those individual valued their own success over that of the teams, which are the sort of attitudes that possibly prevented their club achieving premiership success.
Lockett and Dunstall are the two best examples in living memory of forwards that created opportunities for other forwards. Those two handed off that many goals to teammates as well as kick their own it was unbelievable.

Nathan Buckley didn't win one either. I believe 4/5 played in GFs. Maybe Stack hasn't. Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Scott West, Brad Johnson didn't either. Must've Benn poo players.
I don’t recall saying you could not be a good player and not win a premiership…?

Moreso suggesting good players that may be dickheads potentially hinder team success, by pointing 4/5 players you mentioned bringing in are yet to win a flag.

Who cares if they played in a grand final? Don’t get anything for second place.

Personally don’t think you can win multiple flags and have a shit culture in this day and age. Bringing in a divisive player, risks the fabric of a club.

Fwiw, I am not even suggesting the players you mentioned are dickheads (I can’t even remember who you mentioned), I am supporting the list management methodology of bringing good people through the door as I think that will drive team success.

Not sure on your ridiculous statement about Lockett. He was in no way selfish, he just took responsibility to kick goals.
I saw him play and he was a genius

Like I said, I never saw him play.

I can only comment on what has been reported in the media following his career.

There are also a number of stories of him not knowing his team mates names. From my perspective that’s pretty self indulgent and disrespectful not to learn your team mates names.

I guess that was a different era though.

I don’t recall saying you could not be a good player and not win a premiership…?

Moreso suggesting good players that may be dickheads potentially hinder team success, by pointing 4/5 players you mentioned bringing in are yet to win a flag.

Who cares if they played in a grand final? Don’t get anything for second place.

Personally don’t think you can win multiple flags and have a sh*t culture in this day and age. Bringing in a divisive player, risks the fabric of a club.

Fwiw, I am not even suggesting the players you mentioned are dickheads (I can’t even remember who you mentioned), I am supporting the list management methodology of bringing good people through the door as I think that will drive team success.

Like I said, I never saw him play.

I can only comment on what has been reported in the media following his career.

There are also a number of stories of him not knowing his team mates names. From my perspective that’s pretty self indulgent and disrespectful not to learn your team mates names.

I guess that was a different era though.

I've heard this story about Gary Ablett Snr - not sure about Lockett.

Yes, it was a different era. It was still a time when you would go to the football as a neutral supporter, or switch on the telly, purely to watch a star forward play. Much like the tales of people flocking to games to watch the great John Coleman in the fifties, it was still a thing in the eighties. Lockett and Ablett in particular could pull a crowd on their own.

If I wasn't watching the Dogs as a kid, and St Kilda was on tv, I'd break out the Samboy salt and vinegar chips and settle on the couch, hoping to see a Lockett masterclass. He was that good.

According to SEN, Robbie Tarrant wants a 2 year deal, and North are only offering 1.
Reckon he could play that Martin role this year (minus the injuries) for the backmen. Gardner, Cordy and even Lewy Young could learn alot from him.

According to SEN, Robbie Tarrant wants a 2 year deal, and North are only offering 1.
Reckon he could play that Martin role this year (minus the injuries) for the backmen. Gardner, Cordy and even Lewy Young could learn alot from him.

Surely he would take 1 year plus an automatic 2nd year based on a games trigger. He wouldn’t take that at North because he won’t have faith the won’t manipulate it if not in the finals hunt anyway but with a contending team he knows he’ll get picked if best 22.

Lipinski could flourish given the right opportunity and encouragement. He is the most skillful player at the club, his kicking and his hands are as good if not better than Bont. His defensive running was quite good from the live games I attended.
he is held to a different standards to Roarke. Roarke takes a good Mark in the defemsive 50 and that’s a great game even though he has turned it over by foot half the time And average around 12 possessions playing wing. I would much prefer Richards in the role.

Agree
If we lose Lipinski we may live to regret it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back