Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight did the draft concessions really hurt the terrible sides? Richmond, West Coast and Port were able to build really well during those years and they were bottom sides.

I thought it more impacted sides in the bottom half of the top 8 (ie - North) as they were not able to get good players to get to that next level to be competitive with hawthorn and Sydney of the time.

In hindsight did the draft concessions really hurt the terrible sides?

No, but that was due to poor drafting from the expansion teams. Not because the concessions were setup correctly in my view !!

In hindsight did the draft concessions really hurt the terrible sides? Richmond, West Coast and Port were able to build really well during those years and they were bottom sides.

I thought it more impacted sides in the bottom half of the top 8 (ie - North) as they were not able to get good players to get to that next level to be competitive with hawthorn and Sydney of the time.
More that Sydney, Geelong and Hawks were able to stay good for the next ~10 years because the other 13 teams didn't have the best 30 or 50 kids over a 3 or 4 year period given to them.

Remember there were also ongoing lost concessions, mini-draft, ability to pre-list players etc. It's not so much isolating the 1 or 2 bottom teams but the fact that the top teams didn't get "punished" through draft/salary cap as much as they would have relative to bad teams in a weak draft.

If available I think we’ll definitely pick up Poulter in the MSD. Plays a position that we could definitely bolster. Has been in decent form for Footscray. Kicking goals from the wing.

From memory it was reported that he had abit of interested from clubs last year but elected to play for our VFL side. Which you’d suggest meant we gave him the strongest indication that if his form permits we’ll take him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

I remember all the doomsaying about GC and GWS dominating the competition for years to come.

Meanwhile, Melbourne, WC, Richmond and us were all lowly sides around the time those clubs entered the comp yet went on to win flags while GC haven’t ever even played a final. GWS have been pretty good at times but have never dominated.

Success isn’t just built on high draft picks. It’s the whole organisation. I think as long as we keep our first rounders (which we’ve done most years, and we’ve picked well) then we’ll be well stocked in advance of Tassie joining. Building a new club is very difficult, and we’ll be on the same footing as every other club otherwise.

More that Sydney, Geelong and Hawks were able to stay good for the next ~10 years because the other 13 teams didn't have the best 30 or 50 kids over a 3 or 4 year period given to them.

Remember there were also ongoing lost concessions, mini-draft, ability to pre-list players etc. It's not so much isolating the 1 or 2 bottom teams but the fact that the top teams didn't get "punished" through draft/salary cap as much as they would have relative to bad teams in a weak draft.
Exactly. It helped the teams at the top more than hindering those at the bottom.

Just in case anyone was still pining for Lewis Young to be on our list:

I still don't rate him under any kind of pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedees the one for us really isn’t he? Perfect player to slot into our defence meaning we only need one of Gards/Keath/Bruce who you can carry, until hopefully Buss comes on. He really would have some serious flow on positive effects on our backline. How realistic is he?

I’d love a good winger but it’s probably not as important as I thought preseason, not important enough to waste good draft picks anyway. Williams is good, Bakers okay I’d like to move past him but I still think Bedendo is key here. He’s a jet. Arty will spend some time there too, Scott is serviceable like Baker.

Other than that tall forwards were obviously set, small forwards we have plenty coming through we can’t spend big again there until we know more of AJ/Clarke/McNeil etc, small defenders pretty set for the time being.

If we could somehow snag Doedee, Lual, Croft and keep two first rounders for mids that would be fantastic, probably a little bit optimistic though but would be nice.

We have struggled with being overrun by fast elite midfields at CB. This was most evident in our GF loss to the Dees but others have done this to us too. It’s a weekness that we need to fix. We can move slower midfielders out of there BUT the cupboard is absolutely bare for a replacement at VFL level.

Due to being slower, J Macrae is being phased out of the CB rotation and now being used at HHF. This role is for a slower midfielder who moves into the midfield after the centre bounce, as is not powerful enough for the CB rotation power spot (Libba & Bont) or has others better at the power role. This is the role that Daniel also plays. So, we have two players being asked to play the same role who are on long term contracts. There is really only 1 spot for that role. Unless one of these two can reinvent themselves in another position, we may need to look at moving 1 of these two on. The other option would be for Macrae to develop into the M Boyd HHBF. That would be a solution and IMO should be where he is moved to. This could free up Richards….

Fast Inside mid role:
Richards could potentially be moved into the CB rotation but he is highly valuable where he is. He has the speed, skills and defensive side of his game to be that player.
Smith is the other in-house option but he isn’t developing well in that role. That was my hope when we got him but he hasn’t really got a defensive side to his game.

Aside from those two, we must draft or trade in good players for those spots. We have two firsts this year and 1 next year. Whether by drafting or trading, we really need that speed right into the heart of the team.

Can Sam Power see the romance of reuniting the Macrae brothers at the dogs?

Can Sam Power see the romance of reuniting the Macrae brothers at the dogs?
Adelaide split up the Crouch brothers for the same reason the Macraes wouldn’t work well together - can’t run multiple one paced accumulators through a single midfield. Also not convinced Finlay is even remotely on Jackson’s level. I’m probably closer in ability to Finlay than he is to Jackson…

Adelaide split up the Crouch brothers for the same reason the Macraes wouldn’t work well together - can’t run multiple one paced accumulators through a single midfield. Also not convinced Finlay is even remotely on Jackson’s level. I’m probably closer in ability to Finlay than he is to Jackson…
Strange, I remember at the time of Finlay's drafting alot of talk about him being a better user of the ball and more ambidextrous than his brother. Wonder why his dropped off so much at Collingwood.

Strange, I remember at the time of Finlay's drafting alot of talk about him being a better user of the ball and more ambidextrous than his brother. Wonder why his dropped off so much at Collingwood.
He doesn’t seem to have any tricks at all. That doesn’t mean he can’t become a good AFL player but he just doesn’t have any elite traits.

At the moment he’s an elite VFL midfielder but he’s not getting a look in at the Pies over guys like Mitchell, De Goey, Adams, Crisp, Pendles etc.

Twomey is also glowing on Croft. I think he's no longer going to be a 3rd round bid unless like last draft with Davey jr and teams don't see the same as the media do.
In recent years FS picks outside the top 10-15 seem to go lower than the draft watchers predict. So even if they’re saying in the 20s he may still go at 30-45.

Lots of water to go under the bridge before then anyway.

In recent years FS picks outside the top 10-15 seem to go lower than the draft watchers predict. So even if they’re saying in the 20s he may still go at 30-45.

Lots of water to go under the bridge before then anyway.
Don't feel like we are in a position to overpay for a KPP. So hopefully he doesn't go too high as we do need to restock our midfield in the upcoming draft, and with 2x 1sts this year is a great opportunity to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back