Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind us what we have available for the draft.

MSD

Ie - 1 spot available in the MSD - we would get the 10th pick on ladder but some above us ATM don’t have a pick.

Do we have any Cat A or Cat B spaces left?

ND:

- 2 first round - currently 10 and 14 ish

- 2 second round??

- third round

- 2 fourth round (not sure we would even use so would package for a team needing points?

…….seems like too many?

Advantages:

- Lual will probably go 20-25 and so if we match we would use second round and get points discount (what impact would these point have for us? How could use them.

- Croft currently expected at best to be early third round.

So what a few on here are proposing could be something like:

- use highest first rounder for a gun future mid. At 10ish would expect something very good but maybe not great. Alt - trade up two first rounders for a top 5 pick.

- use one of firsts and maybe a second for an established midfielder like Bergman - the kid is a start and so expect we would have to pay up big. Or a big body like Green from GWS. Alt is to anchor a future KPD like Ballard.

- one second rounder for Lual as eventual HBF, Wing.

- other second for big bobber midfielder or trade for a player of need (O’Halloran isn’t huge but is 187cm and 90kgs and has fight), KPD (Bring back Jake Riccardi to play defence- being wasted with the plastics) Wing, young ruck.

- 3rd and 4th on Croft and Smokey’s in areas of need.

Can someone remind us what we have available for the draft.

MSD

Ie - 1 spot available in the MSD - we would get the 10th pick on ladder but some above us ATM don’t have a pick.

Do we have any Cat A or Cat B spaces left?

ND:

- 2 first round - currently 10 and 14 ish

- 2 second round??

- third round

- 2 fourth round (not sure we would even use so would package for a team needing points?

…….seems like too many?

Advantages:

- Lual will probably go 20-25 and so if we match we would use second round and get points discount (what impact would these point have for us? How could use them.

- Croft currently expected at best to be early third round.

So what a few on here are proposing could be something like:

- use highest first rounder for a gun future mid. At 10ish would expect something very good but maybe not great. Alt - trade up two first rounders for a top 5 pick.

- use one of firsts and maybe a second for an established midfielder like Bergman - the kid is a start and so expect we would have to pay up big. Or a big body like Green from GWS. Alt is to anchor a future KPD like Ballard.

- one second rounder for Lual as eventual HBF, Wing.

- other second for big bobber midfielder or trade for a player of need (O’Halloran isn’t huge but is 187cm and 90kgs and has fight), KPD (Bring back Jake Riccardi to play defence- being wasted with the plastics) Wing, young ruck.

- 3rd and 4th on Croft and Smokey’s in areas of need.
We currently have:
2 x 1sts
1 x 2nd
0 x 3rd
3 x 4ths

Pretty sure we can't match on Lual if he is bid on inside the top 40 picks, with changes to the NGA rules post Jamarra.

This is why I think we will not get him at all. Croft is more likely as we can match as FS anywhere. Depending whether we want another tall forward or not.

Last edited:
I think we keep the 2 firsts and draft mids. Then split our 2nd and use it to match Lual and Croft bids. A lot depends on where they end up and whether we want them. The future 4th that Bevo insisted on for the Dunkley trade that got Pickering all pissed off will be handy. Don’t give the bastards an inch Bevo.

I think we keep the 2 firsts and draft mids. Then split our 2nd and use it to match Lual and Croft bids. A lot depends on where they end up and whether we want them. The future 4th that Bevo insisted on for the Dunkley trade that got Pickering all pissed off will be handy. Don’t give the bastards an inch Bevo.
I'd say we'd want both

I'd say we'd want both
I just remembered NGA bidding is only after pick 40. So Lual is a non-issue. If he is earlier, then nothing we can do. If later then we have a bunch of 4ths to match. For Croft, if he is predicted 2nd round, I would attempt to trade up our second round to get a 3rd pick before a bid. This would be a better scenario because splitting picks tells everyone our intention. Good thing we have Power who is the master of points systems.

I just remembered NGA bidding is only after pick 40. So Lual is a non-issue. If he is earlier, then nothing we can do. If later then we have a bunch of 4ths to match. For Croft, if he is predicted 2nd round, I would attempt to trade up our second round to get a 3rd pick before a bid. This would be a better scenario because splitting picks tells everyone our intention. Good thing we have Power who is the master of points systems.
I would like us to use our two first picks on mids, play around with the second if need be, and put the fourth picks together to match bids on Croft.

With respect, sometimes it's a little tricky to tell with your posts whether you're giving an opinion, posting something you've heard, or giving info from media. Not a criticism/big deal, just would be handy sometimes to have an "I reckon" or "X said" in there somewhere. ;)
Haha noted. I just type and run.

More of a suggestion, we don't necessarily have to take anyone and have some depth coming back into the side in the medium term.

Just reading the scuttlebutt there are a couple of 19 year olds that will get picked up but likely before our selection.

There aren't any key defenders screaming out for selection from reports which would be the biggest plug and go for mine.

There was reported interest in Narkle but he will be taken by Richmond before us.

Can anyone copy and paste the article that mentions Bergman in the sun?
I mentioned that Port are most likely to be the landing spot for Ben McKay a while back too ;)

VIC CLUBS HAVE EYES ON PORT YOUNG GUN

Port Adelaide playmaker Miles Bergman has attracted rival interest as he weighs up a contract extension with the Power.

The 189cm athletic defender is on the radar of several Victorian clubs after an encouraging start to the season averaging 16 disposals across eight games.

It looms as an important year for the Sandringham product who was affected by shoulder problems and illness in his second season which limited him to only 10 games.

But the 21-year-old has become a regular under Ken Hinkley this year providing some power and flexibility across half back.

Miles Bergman is impressing for the Power. Picture: Getty Images

The man taken with pick 14 in the 2019 national draft is in no rush to make a decision on his future as the Power prepare to make a key decision on the future of Hinkley in the back end of the year.

Bergman is expected to attract offers from several Victorian clubs if he has not made a commitment by the end of the season.

Power would likely ask for a first-round draft pick in any deal for Bergman, although the club is adamant it wants to keep the playmaker.

Port is likely to feature prominently in the exchange period as it hunts another prime key defender such as free agent Ben McKay or Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep 2 x gun mids. If we don't do that questions need to be asked of recruitment
Still think we go best available with our first pick like we always do. If someone like Watson, Moir (forwards) or Curtin (defender) slid to our first pick, you couldn’t pass up on that. If that were to happen, I’m sure we’d then consider abandoning the best available approach and simply taking the best midfielder at our next first rounder

As others have said, I'd be more than happy for the club to stand pat with the two first rounders and drafted the two best available mids. The emergence of Arthur Jones has filled a very important need at small forward that I wanted to address. I'd be pushing very hard to sign Doedee as the versatile 3rd/4th defender and pick up another small defender at some point. Hopefully the club signs Poutler in the mid-season draft to give us some cheap wing depth moving forward with Williams still currently unsigned.

WB 1st - Draft midfielder
BL 1st - Draft midfielder
Draft Cross
Draft small defender
Sign Doedee

I mentioned that Port are most likely to be the landing spot for Ben McKay a while back too ;)

VIC CLUBS HAVE EYES ON PORT YOUNG GUN

Port Adelaide playmaker Miles Bergman has attracted rival interest as he weighs up a contract extension with the Power.

The 189cm athletic defender is on the radar of several Victorian clubs after an encouraging start to the season averaging 16 disposals across eight games.

It looms as an important year for the Sandringham product who was affected by shoulder problems and illness in his second season which limited him to only 10 games.

But the 21-year-old has become a regular under Ken Hinkley this year providing some power and flexibility across half back.

The man taken with pick 14 in the 2019 national draft is in no rush to make a decision on his future as the Power prepare to make a key decision on the future of Hinkley in the back end of the year.

Bergman is expected to attract offers from several Victorian clubs if he has not made a commitment by the end of the season.

Power would likely ask for a first-round draft pick in any deal for Bergman, although the club is adamant it wants to keep the playmaker.

Port is likely to feature prominently in the exchange period as it hunts another prime key defender such as free agent Ben McKay or Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea.
Oh man. Bergman is a player Bevo would love.

Is Bergman an actual genuine wing option? He’s obviously having some success at half back this year but I’d rather target a FA like Doedee for defence.

1st rounder mid, Bergman & Doedee would certainly fill some holes though - makes us significantly stronger next year whilst also fills that age gap that will become an issue soon.

Is Bergman an actual genuine wing option? He’s obviously having some success at half back this year but I’d rather target a FA like Doedee for defence.

1st rounder mid, Bergman & Doedee would certainly fill some holes though - makes us significantly stronger next year whilst also fills that age gap that will become an issue soon.
He's definitely a wing option. There's a certainty that we'd have to part with the Lions first rounder in some form to obtain him. If the net result of obtaining Bergman for the Lions 1st and then losing Bailey Williams as an UFA (receiving a later pick), then I'd say that would be a poor outcome for the club.

I'd probably just prefer to bump up the contract for Williams unless he was heading back to SA regardless.

Still think we go best available with our first pick like we always do. If someone like Watson, Moir (forwards) or Curtin (defender) slid to our first pick, you couldn’t pass up on that. If that were to happen, I’m sure we’d then consider abandoning the best available approach and simply taking the best midfielder at our next first rounder
I'd be more than happy with Moir or Tholstrup with our first, both forwards who have legitimate midfield scope with some development.

I'm thinking of two junior flankers (Bont & Macrae) who transitioned pretty well.

Kane McAuliffe with our other first rounder would be nice. Genuine big bodied inside mid with a sidestep

I agree with best available for the first pick. Certainly inside the top dozen or so. It starts to be less significant toward the end of the first round (about 16-20) because there's usually less and less difference between the next half dozen who are left. That's when clubs are more likely to shift their thinking a little towards needs.

It's worth noting that Bergman went at 14 which might be the sort of first pick we'll get this year.

We took Weightman with pick 15 but I doubt we'd have taken Bergman if he was still available at 15. Cody was the right choice at the time.

Would Williams or Richards be worth a shot as an inside mid?

IF either show ability there, targeting Doedee for HBF & Bergman for Wing; would be a solid idea. I think it would be easier to bring in a HBF than an elite midfielder.

Really looking forward to seeing Busslinger as intercept defender later in the year. He could make the third tall role his own. Is a solid mark, can kick well and can read the play well.

Would Williams or Richards be worth a shot as an inside mid?

IF either show ability there, targeting Doedee for HBF & Bergman for Wing; would be a solid idea. I think it would be easier to bring in a HBF than an elite midfielder.

Really looking forward to seeing Busslinger as intercept defender later in the year. He could make the third tall role his own. Is a solid mark, can kick well and can read the play well.
I've definitely thought about Richards as a midfielder. He'd be the perfect age bracket to bridge the gap from Treloar & Libba to the new crop of draftees.

In saying that, despite having obvious traits as a damaging mid, we have next to zero form on him as a midfielder.

I've definitely thought about Richards as a midfielder. He'd be the perfect age bracket to bridge the gap from Treloar & Libba to the new crop of draftees.

In saying that, despite having obvious traits as a damaging mid, we have next to zero form on him as a midfielder.
It’s worth a look though surely, he’s done it before in juniors so not like it’s completely out of thin air.

The last two weeks were probably the time to test it due to us getting beaten in the midfield but also up against teams we were always going to beat anyway. Would solve a lot of issues he’s the prototype midfielder size & athletic ability we’re looking for, with all the key attributes to his game to succeed. Would leave a massive hole in defence but that would be easier to cover,

I dunno it might be a massive failure who knows, just don’t think we have much to lose really - would like to at least see if it’s an option moving forward, even if it’s just at training for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back