Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Williams or Richards be worth a shot as an inside mid?

IF either show ability there, targeting Doedee for HBF & Bergman for Wing; would be a solid idea. I think it would be easier to bring in a HBF than an elite midfielder.

Really looking forward to seeing Busslinger as intercept defender later in the year. He could make the third tall role his own. Is a solid mark, can kick well and can read the play well.

The players we draft would be better off starting as flankers/wings for a season or two. So moving Williams and Richards to the midfield makes sense.

Would be stoked to pick up Curtin - would set our backline up with Buss.
Another position of need. Probably even more so than midfield considering the age of our tall defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Is Curtin more of a Lockdown Defender or is he more Intercept focused? If he is more Lockdown would be all in too shore up defence long term. Where is he ranked by draft watchers?

Is Curtin more of a Lockdown Defender or is he more Intercept focused? If he is more Lockdown would be all in too shore up defence long term. Where is he ranked by draft watchers?

I think he has the ability to lockdown (has a pretty strong build already also) but has mostly played a more attacking style.

He has played forward and in his most recent game midfield (where he registered 26 disposals, 12 clearances and 10 tackles) this year. So has tonnes of versatility to his game.

He is touted to go top 5 so unlikely we’ll be in that range at this stage.

I think he has the ability to lockdown (has a pretty strong build already also) but has mostly played a more attacking style.

He has played forward and in his most recent game midfield (where he registered 26 disposals and 10 tackles) this year. So has tonnes of versatility to his game.

He is touted to go top 5 so unlikely we’ll be in that range at this stage.

Ok Thanks for answering he sounds a good pick up but most likely gone before we get a chance

Would Williams or Richards be worth a shot as an inside mid?

IF either show ability there, targeting Doedee for HBF & Bergman for Wing; would be a solid idea. I think it would be easier to bring in a HBF than an elite midfielder.

Really looking forward to seeing Busslinger as intercept defender later in the year. He could make the third tall role his own. Is a solid mark, can kick well and can read the play well.
Although in Treloars absence we will in all likelihood throw the baton back to Macrae. I'd really like us to make a bold move and use the next 2 or 3 weeks of his absence to take a look at Richards through the midfield. He has the pace, the ball winning ability and a degree of fearlessness. If not Richards then Smith.

Williams I'd leave where he is. Heseems to be settling onto a wing and now is not the time to change an area that has presented a big problem for us in recent years.

Im not so certain about Busslingers kicking just yet. It looks neat enough but he seems to use it very conservatively.

I'll be interested in seeing how that translates at the higher tempo of the AFl whenever he makes his debut.

Last edited:
Richards just too good in defence to move, IMO. That aerial ability is such a bonus for an attacking defender and would be wasted in the midfield.
I agree to an extent but don’t necessarily think it’d be wasted in the middle, it’d be pretty handy for a mid to be better aerially than just about any opponent he comes up against.

It does significantly weaken our marking in the back half though, it would probably require O’Brien/Buku over Gardner though to go with Jones who’s added a heap. Richards replacement would likely be Cleary/Crozier who are both pretty strong in the air too (but not quite Ed’s level)

For mine when I talk about Richards going to the midfield I’m only really talking CBs (and of course some follow up contests after the CB) so I’d still picture like a 50/50 split between defence & midfield, I realise not a lot of players play this role though.

I don’t necessarily want him ball chasing contest to contest around the field all day, we’ve got plenty who can roll up from HF and do that to great effect like Macrae, Baz & Daniel. But it’s just about finding that different look for a CB rotation that those two don’t bring us. And getting some speed & size into the CB which we seem to be lacking in those 4v4 contests. He might only take 5-10 a game but I think that can be super important to us.

Idk how you work it to be completely honest but letting him attend some CBs and then drop back into space behind the ball, whilst Macrae, Baz & Daniel then push up from HF to cover the midfield. Sounds pretty dangerous and worth investigating IMO - most teams are running about 6-7 CB rotations these days, with Adz out we’re sitting at 5 (Libba, Macrae, Bont, CD, Baz) and the only one with any real pace is Baz so that’s why adding Richards to that rotation (but not necessarily becoming a full time mid) appeals to me

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily want him ball chasing contest to contest around the field all day, we’ve got plenty who can roll up from HF and do that to great effect like Macrae, Baz & Daniel. But it’s just about finding that different look for a CB rotation that those two don’t bring us. And getting some speed & size into the CB which we seem to be lacking in those 4v4 contests. He might only take 5-10 a game but I think that can be super important to us.

Idk how you work it to be completely honest but letting him attend some CBs and then drop back into space behind the ball, whilst Macrae, Baz & Daniel then push up from HF to cover the midfield. Sounds pretty dangerous and worth investigating IMO - most teams are running about 6-7 CB rotations these days, with Adz out we’re sitting at 5 (Libba, Macrae, Bont, CD, Baz) and the only one with any real pace is Baz so that’s why adding Richards to that rotation (but not necessarily becoming a full time mid) appeals to me
Love the highlighted bit!

I agree to an extent but don’t necessarily think it’d be wasted in the middle, it’d be pretty handy for a mid to be better aerially than just about any opponent he comes up against.

It does significantly weaken our marking in the back half though, it would probably require O’Brien/Buku over Gardner though to go with Jones who’s added a heap. Richards replacement would likely be Cleary/Crozier who are both pretty strong in the air too (but not quite Ed’s level)

For mine when I talk about Richards going to the midfield I’m only really talking CBs (and of course some follow up contests after the CB) so I’d still picture like a 50/50 split between defence & midfield, I realise not a lot of players play this role though.

I don't mind the idea. Effectively you have:
Centre bounce: Macrae (HFF) / Richards (MID) / [Player X] (HBF)
Secondary stoppage: [Player X] (HFF) / Macrae (MID) / Richards (HBF)

The big question is obviously who is player X? None of our small forwards are obvious candidates to line up on the HBF for the centre bounce. Long term wouldn't mind Bedendo there - good enough overhead for the quick opposition clearance and then can easily transition forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do questions need to be asked?

I won't complain if we take two, not sure we necessarily need to take two though.
Because we haven't drafted a midfielder since Smith. With the way the games going you need top end talent with a high athletic profile especially in the midfield to win football games.

Unfortunately our midfield depth isn't coming on as fast as we wanted in Smith and Garcia. With rumours of Doedee and the ability to take a punt on a KPD in rookie drafts or late picks and develop I think we can cover the KPD with some clever moves.

When building a list we should always be looking to continue and develop on our 1 wood which is our contest and our midfield

Richards just too good in defence to move, IMO. That aerial ability is such a bonus for an attacking defender and would be wasted in the midfield.
Yeah I prefer we leave our best smaller defender this year in defence rather than hope he might be a passable midfielder.

Bailey Williams can chop out for the occasional CBA if we're worried about rotations this year. Richards was bog-ordinary forward of the ball and on the wing when tried there in the past.

There's a certain irony to all the criticism Bevo copped in the first two weeks about not playing players in their best position, and now some posters wanting to take arguably our best defender out of defence.

The big question is obviously who is player X? None of our small forwards are obvious candidates to line up on the HBF for the centre bounce. Long term wouldn't mind Bedendo there - good enough overhead for the quick opposition clearance and then can easily transition forward.
Yeah good call Bedendo would be ideal for that,

I’d be using it more as a defensive move when opposition has momentum so quite often I’d be fine that after the balls moved out of the centre and our half forwards are in the contest to just drop Ed back behind the ball as the spare anyway so don’t necessarily need to replace the HF. Just when we need to take back control of a game.

Or you could have Cleary take his position in the back half and when Ed drops back, Cleary pushes up to the wing Baker/Scott push forward to half forward to replace Macrae etc. few options we could try - definitely not advocating moving Ed out of the midfield full time, just think we need a different look in the CBs mainly - which I think Bev has recognised already

Inside Trading Article i would be asking the question again on Lohmann.

UNSIGNED LION IN RIVALS' SIGHTS

CLUBS are tracking Brisbane youngster Kai Lohmann as the forward remains unsigned at the midway point of his second season.

Lohmann is one of only two first-round picks from the 2021 draft – along with No.13 pick Ben Hobbs at Essendon – who has not penned a contract extension past their initial standard two-year deals.

Lohmann was drafted from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels at pick 20 in that year's draft but has played only two games since arriving at the Lions and none this season.
The crafty hybrid forward is competing with a stack of talent inside the premiership contender's front half, leading rivals to be closely monitoring his situation as a potential trade target.

The Western Bulldogs flagged interest in Lohmann last year during the Josh Dunkley trade talks, while North Melbourne and Hawthorn were also among the clubs who had been eyeing Lohmann at the draft before the Lions swooped on him. – Callum Twomey

CLUBS are tracking Brisbane youngster Kai Lohmann as the forward remains unsigned at the midway point of his second season.

Lohmann is one of only two first-round picks from the 2021 draft – along with No.13 pick Ben Hobbs at Essendon – who has not penned a contract extension past their initial standard two-year deals.

Lohmann was drafted from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels at pick 20 in that year's draft but has played only two games since arriving at the Lions and none this season.
The crafty hybrid forward is competing with a stack of talent inside the premiership contender's front half, leading rivals to be closely monitoring his situation as a potential trade target.

The Western Bulldogs flagged interest in Lohmann last year during the Josh Dunkley trade talks, while North Melbourne and Hawthorn were also among the clubs who had been eyeing Lohmann at the draft before the Lions swooped on him. – Callum Twomey
Would be competing for Scott's position I think? He is seriously good.

**** giving Brisbane a fair trade though. Future 3rd or offer him a bumper “signing bonus” to come through the PSD. He’s a Ballarat boy so may actually be interested in coming here.

Weightman, Jones, Clarke and Lohmann as developing smalls to Naughton, Jamarra and Darcy sounds good to me.

I’d be happy to target Lohmamn and would probably be comfortable handing over a future 2nd. We don’t really have any crafty half forwards on the list (Charlie Clarke?) that can link up between the midfield and the forward line. The pick doesn’t bother me as he’ll only be 20-21 with some development behind him.

His VFL stats seem pretty solid this season. Keep in mind that the Lions are stacked with similar forward types with Bailey, McCarthy, Rayner, Cameron etc.

1683763431131.png
images

Attachments

• 1683763366334.png
    1683763366334.png
    6 KB · Views: 26

I'm not sure I'd be putting Richards in there but I wonder if it might be a way to utilise Riley West's attributes.
He's great at centre bounces but can get lost in general play.

Doedee feels like he'll be staying in Adelaide, just driving up his price a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back