Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the whole thing about not extending Duryea is that we recruit or chase a small defender, not keep the cooked one who is a liability because we don't currently have a replacement.

Our whole list management seems arse about at times. Duryea, for all the work he's done for us - is cooked. Therefore, we find a replacement - either develop one internally, recruit one from another club or draft one. We don't just extend him because we have no one else.

he'll still be on the list at 90 if we use this approach.

We can't even trust O'Brien to stay fit, the whole point of depth is that they're ready to come in as a break glass emergency and he's barely getting out there at VFL level.

And the whole thing about not extending Duryea is that we recruit or chase a small defender, not keep the cooked one who is a liability because we don't currently have a replacement.

I think the reason we are resigning them is cos we haven’t been able to recruit one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the reason we are resigning them is cos we haven’t been able to recruit one

Then draft someone, I struggle to believe that Duryea would be having more impact then any random rookie that we plucked out. Chatfield has been having a great year in defence for Footscray this year, he's competitive and doesn't like getting beaten. Bring him in and we'd have someone that we can develop who hasn't fallen off a cliff.

Just a thought but could Toby McLean be repurposed as a Duryea replacement?

I know he has lost a bit of pace but he’s got most of the required attributes.

Melican would actually be a decent short term replacement for O’Brien and Keath. Hoping Busslinger is ready next year.
Melican is awful.

Gards is our mature kpd depth. I’m not a huge fan of his, but he’s better than Melican and he’s fine to have at Footscray then use if there’s injuries.

We’ll be looking at Tomlinson.

Then draft someone, I struggle to believe that Duryea would be having more impact then any random rookie that we plucked out. Chatfield has been having a great year in defence for Footscray this year, he's competitive and doesn't like getting beaten. Bring him in and we'd have someone that we can develop who hasn't fallen off a cliff.

What happens if he is injured, is just not good enough to take the next step or takes a while to adequately learn the AFL systems? Might need 10 games from Duryea.

Just a thought but could Toby McLean be repurposed as a Duryea replacement?

I know he has lost a bit of pace but he’s got most of the required attributes.

You need pace to play that role though. The drop off in Duryea's form is because he's lost a yard or two.

I think Vandermeer should be trained for the role. Not sure playing him in more offensive roles is his go.

You need pace to play that role though. The drop off in Duryea's form is because he's lost a yard or two.

I think Vandermeer should be trained for the role. Not sure playing him in more offensive roles is his go.

Yeah he could fill that role he needs to work on composure and decision making reckon a block in the VFL would help. We certainly need depth and options in this area so Duryea is pushed out of that position next year

god help us if we’re handing out contracts to ToB and Duryea. The list management is starting to look as bad as the coaching.
Shows they have no real plan to me.
Any bulldog fan knows youth is the way to go.We don't want to be 7th 8th 9th or 10th like old North .lBetter last or 1st.
If the plan is to keep ground rather than
refresh.Then problem is not just the coach.Although the coach loves mature age role players. He is not alone in having no vision.Just safety nets.

Lual from our academy looks a great Duryea replacement. BUT every recruiter has seen that he is a top 25 pick, so we will have to draft him with one of our draft picks. That is going to be difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please please please anyone is better than Duryea O'Brien Hannan McComb , Crozier is better than all of them even busslinger please universe youth please youth I'm begging please

Please please please anyone is better than Duryea O'Brien Hannan McComb , Crozier is better than all of them even busslinger please universe youth please youth I'm begging please
Hannan was offered a one year before his injury

So the afl are looking at bringing back the veterans' list spot. Surely this could not be brought in next year without any lead-in or planning time? Or am i thinking too rationally...

Can some please get pass the paywall

Very long article, here's the Dogs part:

Western Bulldogs (15): Dominic Bedendo, Josh Bruce, Hayden Crozier, Taylor Duryea (unrestricted free agent), Mitch Hannan, Buku Khamis, Robbie McComb, Toby McLean (unrestricted free agent), Lachie McNeil, Tim O’Brien (unrestricted free agent), Caleb Poulter, Cody Raak, Roarke Smith (unrestricted free agent), Jordon Sweet, Bailey Williams (unrestricted free agent).

Bruce faces an uncertain future after suffering a second ACL rupture in July. Williams’ management continues to work through what will likely be a multi-year deal for him with the Dogs, while Bedendo is also expected to be retained. Sweet’s name has been in ruck-merry-go-round discussions all year long, and it remains to be seen whether he moves to another club after being stuck behind Tim English for years. A number of other experienced players and fringe senior types – Crozier, Duryea, Hannan, McComb, McLean, McNeil and Smith – are still on the hunt for a deal. Former Hawk O’Brien’s had an injury-interrupted year and faces a nervous wait, given how deep and youthful the Bulldogs’ key-position stocks are.

Very long article, here's the Dogs part:

Western Bulldogs (15): Dominic Bedendo, Josh Bruce, Hayden Crozier, Taylor Duryea (unrestricted free agent), Mitch Hannan, Buku Khamis, Robbie McComb, Toby McLean (unrestricted free agent), Lachie McNeil, Tim O’Brien (unrestricted free agent), Caleb Poulter, Cody Raak, Roarke Smith (unrestricted free agent), Jordon Sweet, Bailey Williams (unrestricted free agent).

Bruce faces an uncertain future after suffering a second ACL rupture in July. Williams’ management continues to work through what will likely be a multi-year deal for him with the Dogs, while Bedendo is also expected to be retained. Sweet’s name has been in ruck-merry-go-round discussions all year long, and it remains to be seen whether he moves to another club after being stuck behind Tim English for years. A number of other experienced players and fringe senior types – Crozier, Duryea, Hannan, McComb, McLean, McNeil and Smith – are still on the hunt for a deal. Former Hawk O’Brien’s had an injury-interrupted year and faces a nervous wait, given how deep and youthful the Bulldogs’ key-position stocks are.
Thank you

If we bring in Henry and also another mid with a first rounder it may be worth moving Williams down back again. For the majority of the 2021 season he was sensational and it's probably only confidence holding him back from rediscovering that.

FB: Tomlinson, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, JOD, JJ
Int: Williams

Gardner, Keath, VDM, Cleary as depth.

That seems pretty decent to me

Don't see why Tomlinson is the answer.

Has just turned 30 and has played 36 games in the past four years, not at a particularly high standard (admittedly he started 2021 quite well before doing the knee).

Was against the O'Brien pick up too and this feels the same. Just targeting him because he's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back