Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe...but that pick wouldn't be hogging actual space on the salary cap to play in Footscray...which is what harmes will end up doing.
We won’t be paying him heaps. He’ll be trading some money for the security of 3 years

I think West does need to get given a spot in the midfield rotation. However, I have no issue with his role being a combination of forward and mid. He is excellent bringing the ball to ground and winning one on one body to body contests when he plays forward. Decent pressure considering his pace is meh.

If west builds his endurance, no one will be edging him out. He’s too good
You need a science degree to figure out our midfield rotations with everyone.

Where does Bailey Smith fit in? He's cracked the sads already for not getting enough CBA.

There’s some underrating of James Harmes going on here, or some overrating of our fringe players. Either/or.

So Sam Power can just about take the remainder of trade period off?

Scott is better than Harmes. If Harmes plays r1 he will be replacing someone else.

Personally I just don't rate Scott much. I can see why the coach's like him, never shirks a contest and will give any position asked a genuine crack. Useful.

But beyond those VFL-esque attributes I don't think he offers much, small, and if he's anywhere near the team it should be as sub - an older player that is dependable but with no real ceiling, where missing vfl games won't impact his career. I think he could be sub every week without it weighing on anyone's conscience.

It's not just Scott, it's moreso that bigger picture he should be our weakest player selected (as he was in 2021) and it's been a nightmare that there's actually several worse.

It's not necessarily this deal in isolation, it's a culmination of them. We're being 'nice' in these types of deals and still getting bent over when it comes to the tougher negotiations (Dunkley, Lobb etc.).

Melbourne supporters would be thrilled with the result and we would be 'meh' at best that didn't need to be completed as quickly as it was.
They are not happy from what i am reading haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe people are upset with Harmes for a F3...

A mid/fwd with pace, big body, and great defensively is an obvious need and it's for an almost nothing pick.

He only needs to replace our 21/22nd picked player..

season 13 GIF

I think the Harmes deal is pretty solid, a type of player we desperately need l, defensively minded midfielder and some in an under grunt which we lack besides Libba, and it showed massively this year when Libba was out. Can’t complain for what we gave up.

Am I missing something? We're struggling to fit Macrae and Smith in as it is.
I'm not against the trade by any means, just get a sense something else is at play?
I’m a broken record here but I’d move Macrae whilst he’s still got value, he won’t next year if we play him forward again. Harmes in, Macrae out, Daniel out of mids rotations for West. Baz in for Treloar who spends more time on a wing (along with Baz) - that’s how I’d look at splitting the rotations personally.

Am I missing something? We're struggling to fit Macrae and Smith in as it is.
I'm not against the trade by any means, just get a sense something else is at play?
I don't know what they have in mind, but I think we're asking the wrong question.

Rather than, "How do we make X, Y, and Z fit???" the question needs to be, "How do we improve?"

We've got lots of talent in that midfield but it just hasn't really worked. While they are excellent at winning and extracting the ball, they struggle to translate that into scoring, and struggle to apply consistent defensive effort.

Clearly, the answer in many people's books is, "Sack Beveridge." That may be part of it. But it's also possible that the mix is the problem, and we need to switch that around - even if it means choosing less talented players who fit better.

People roundly criticised May's comments about them being better than Collingwood but, frankly, I don't think he's entirely wrong. On paper, the Dees have a stronger, more established midfield, better spread of talent down back, and a much stronger ruck division. But premierships aren't won on paper. It's not about talent, it's about fit and chemistry and structure.

TL;DR - our midfield has not performed to our expectations, so if we want to improve, we need to be open to the idea of changing that around - even if it means omitting guys that are on paper amongst our better players.

I think the Harmes deal is pretty solid, a type of player we desperately need l, defensively minded midfielder and some in an under grunt which we lack besides Libba, and it showed massively this year when Libba was out. Can’t complain for what we gave up.

I think it’s important to note that if Libba gets injured - I hope he doesn’t - then rather than Bont try and fill his spot, Harmes can step into that rotation and help with the heavy lifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott definitely plays ahead of Harmes.

Vanders irrelevant. Totally different positions.
OMG, don’t tell me I’m not the only one that rates Scott?

I’m happy to grab Harmed cheaply all the same. Neither competing for same spot really. I see Scott as a small forward if playing and if in magoos then permanently plays there. No more playing him as spare parts.

Scott and Harmes are different players , don’t know why this comparison is being made . Scott is a low possession pressure forward with a handy eye for goals . Harmes is mostly a midfielder .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back