Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We roasting Sweet after one game where the whole Port team doesn’t show up for? As some kind of gotcha about selection?

Meanwhile we continue to play favourites with our bottom 4?

Lol.
Maybe the fact that Port paid a second round pick for Soldo, then dropped him for Sweet, then Sweet played badly more broadly should pour cold water on this idea that people want to go out and hunt for the next great fringe young ruck at another club who could very well not ever be a good player, or if they are, it'll be a slow burn that costs us games for several years in which they do.

Accept that we have a top 10 ruck in the league, and that the fact that he's playing as the 9thth best ruck in the league this season and was a top 3 last year and top 10 the year before, and as he gets older, he should be a more or less guarantee td to be top 10 for the next 6-8 years is something we just have to live with, especially as he's not going to be a top-5 paid ruck in the league over the course of his next contract.

Interesting that the number one rated forward in the comp has found himself at chb when both himself and the coach have said he's a fwd...

I agree - said it sounded stupid. I would always play Naughton at CHF.

And prefer Darcy to Lobb.

But for someone who has never been a fan of Lobb - he was very good - including in the ruck.

My question is would it be a better team? I remember Chris Grant going back for a little while and he was incredible. Then went back forward and I reckon it helped him.

JOD is coming along really well but is he still very inexperienced and can get rag dolled. Keath is injured again and Buss is a kid. Gards isn’t an upgrade in either.

We roasting Sweet after one game where the whole Port team doesn’t show up for? As some kind of gotcha about selection?

Meanwhile we continue to play favourites with our bottom 4?

Lol.
What’s been said that you’ve viewed as a roast?

Reading back on some posts from 2020-22 will be interesting. Numerous people wanting to pick Sweet ahead of English ... immediately before English would go on to eventually become an All-Australian player!

Maybe Bevo (and everyone who considered the two players at their respective drafts, including the media and the Dogs draft team) has a better judge of talent than a few on this board, myself included.
People in this board were melting when we delisted Cody Raak

First this ...
Interesting that the number one rated forward in the comp has found himself at chb when both himself and the coach have said he's a fwd...
... then the very next post, 7 minutes later:
Yeah I know Bevo has his favourites but if he’s not playing a bloke in a position we have a glaring need for over the course of several years it’s probably just because they’re not very good.
Some unintended irony there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He never got suspended, didn't get reported. Even Malthouse said after the game it was a great bump.

I wonder what the outcome would be now in terms of MRP

Straight to the tribunal and the media commentary would be just huge

Last edited:
Do you recall if he got suspended for that or was it deemed the perfect hip and shoulder bump?

Wally was a tough nut - and knew how to lay a hip and shoulder.I remember one he executed perfectly at Waverley once.He hit so hard there was an echo in the stadium.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I recall the common argument was playing both English and Sweet so we could play English forward more or move him out of the ruck when he was getting manhandled. But no doubt there have been calls to drop English when he was getting smashed in the ruck.

We got Lobb which gave us this option while improving our forward line. Worked to great effect a few times, e.g. when English was getting roasted by Conway on debut last year and Lobb turned the game for us in the middle. Can’t expect that from Darcy yet, but hopefully in the not too distant future.

All this Sweet talk…
He doesn’t play for us! And was pretty ordinary when he did. He’s goneski, Kaput!
Not needed in the past, now or in the future…
Herschel Walker Georgia GIF by GIPHY News

Amazing seeing the drop off of Gaff. Elite in many areas just a couple of years ago - had an

incident and never really came back. We were chasing him and would have been good for us at the time but does show that even for a very fit player 32 is about where Father Time came turn up and kick you in the arse!

The ones that last are those that have great skills - legs might slow but if they can stay on the park. Danger is 34 and it is health not skill for him and him not being there consistently completely changes the impact of Geelong.

With better management - we should see players continue for much longer as the have in NBA, NFL and NHL. Clubs need to commit to it though - I hate Brisbane but they managed Lynch fantastically and showed what you can do.

Of course our own Michael Tuck-Bontempermanie will still be killing it at 42! At 28 he has another four years at his peak and then many more years if managed well.

Barrass looking great v Bombers.

Doubt he’s gettable but if the price is a mid 1st rounder, likely what we’ll get for Baz, we’d have to consider it.
I am not sure why Eagles would let him go in the first place. Next to him there is no one else as McGovern is close to done and Rotham is no where good enough. They'll have a defense with no experienced KPDs to help the kids in a year or 2.

I am not sure why Eagles would let him go in the first place. Next to him there is no one else as McGovern is close to done and Rotham is no where good enough. They'll have a defense with no experienced KPDs to help the kids in a year or 2.
Well he is high value now, but next to no value in a few years which is the earliest even a WC fan could hope they are contending. Will be interesting to see how much they really want Buss as I don't see their values much apart (considering their age extremes, and if Buss kicks on for the rest of the year as he has been). I'd be asking the question if they come hard at Buss.

Well he is high value now, but next to no value in a few years which is the earliest even a WC fan could hope they are contending. Will be interesting to see how much they really want Buss as I don't see their values much apart (considering their age extremes, and if Buss kicks on for the rest of the year as he has been). I'd be asking the question if they come hard at Buss.
Value is higher to them to keep him around and blood youngsters around him than to actually trade him. Trading him now will result in a north Melbourne situation where there is 0 leadership down back for years and getting slaughtered every week. That said if they can find a replacement they will agree to trade him.

I don't think though if Barass is on the table that trading Busslinger unless he's really homesick wouldn't be really worth it.

Last edited:
Value is higher to them to keep him around and blood youngsters around him than to actually trade him. Trading him now will result in a north Melbourne situation where there is 0 leadership down back for years and getting slaughtered every week. That said if they can find a replacement they will agree to trade him.

I don't think though if Barass is on the table that trading Busslinger unless he's really homesick would be really worth it.
Don't get me wrong, I 100% want to keep Buss, but if they think they can poach him then Barass should be on the table

Tbh a swap of Busslinger and Barrass makes a lot of sense for both clubs. Barrass is a good age for our list given that we can compete for a flag over the next few years and they probably can't. Buss is a good age for a rebuilding side. We can haggle over how much extra we need to be sending their way but I think the core premise of that trade is a win/win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back