Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong, I like having English in the team, but sticking by my prediction that we won't win a flag with English as our ruckman...just lacks the aggression needed and is a terrible ruck from a tap and positioning perspective (why does he always watch the man rather than the ball!!)

Lets hope he proves me wrong....

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
We won a premiership with Roughy and Boyd as our rucks (although pre 3rd man up ban).

Anyway it won't matter who our ruck is with Bont, Richards, Petracca, and Butters as our midfield 🙃

Baz is reconsidering now that both Jamarra and Tim are staying. Apparently rang Sam Power this afternoon, who told him to just wait on the line while he checks something...

8 hours later...

images - 2024-08-15T215121.544.jpeg

Well played, Sammy P.

Get two first rounders for baz
Trade one first and baz to Port for butters
Trade the other first and vdm (anb replacement) to Melbourne for trac
That's some tricky shit trading Smith for 2 first rounders but then kidnapping him and trading him to Port with one of those first rounders for "I can't believe it's not Butters"

Just my view but I would have gone a different direction with our ruck stocks.

Our midfield are allowed a really bad day (and I reckon that happens once every 5-6 weeks per season) but we don’t have the ruckman who can stop the ascendency. He’s not the man to change the momentum and get the ball in our mids favour to wrestle back control.

The numbers don’t lie. Despite the names we have had roll through the middle in the past 5 years we are currently the worst first possession team in the game. We win it back by being really good at stripping the ball back. I don’t think that’s sustainable.

Our midfield getting crushed often means our aggressively placed defenders get exposed (we have all seen this far too often). And I’m yet to see a performance where our mids were crushed despite English being really competitive in the ruck. They always both happen at the same time.

Maybe this could work if Darcy fills out and he shoulders 50% of the load. That’s the only way I see it “premiership successful”

Extremely good post and analysis ! Agree 100%. Would rather we found another ruckman ala Meek or a Xerri, rather than Darcy , who I believe will be a gun fwd / ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do we have the capital to land both Petracca and Butters this offseason?
In case you were being serious for once, however I doubt it.
Trading in Trac would go close to wiping us out for this year and next.
Trading for Butters would wipe us out for this year and next including whatever we get for Smith.
To bring in both we would need to be cutting some talent we'd prefer to keep.

If (big if) they were both on the market though I'd pick Butters every time and twice on Sundays.

Maybe we are planning to be the first team to exploit the relaxation of the rules for trading future picks. We are giving up the next 6 years firsts for Trac and Butters. We'll eventually crash and burn but it'll be a fun ride
benicio del toro hispanic heritage month GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we are planning to be the first team to exploit the relaxation of the rules for trading future picks. We are giving up the next 6 years firsts for Trac and Butters. We'll eventually crash and burn but it'll be a fun ride
benicio del toro hispanic heritage month GIF
They didn't bring it in this year but next year you'll be able to trade an extra year in advance.
Eventually they will bring in 3 or 4 years in advance and we will definitely see coaches go all out in their last year and trade out the clubs future to try and save their job.

(Sorry for ruining your fun post with seriousness)

Where has the Butters chatter come from? I assume it's just a want and nobody genuinely thinks he's a chance to leave the Power?

What do you think he would cost? He has a few suitors.
A 3rd rounder at absolute best, possibly even a pick swap. 24 year old fringe player who has played 8 games and is out of contract. Pies have zero leverage or justification at asking for more.

We do need to upgrade the VDM role. If we identify that role as a selfless, fast and hard running role, it needs to be filled by someone who has some basic semblance of ball handling and skill. It would be a massive upgrade to have anyone there with AFL level skill if they can replicate what the coaches ask.

They didn't bring it in this year but next year you'll be able to trade an extra year in advance.
Eventually they will bring in 3 or 4 years in advance and we will definitely see coaches go all out in their last year and trade out the clubs future to try and save their job.

(Sorry for ruining your fun post with seriousness)
if you can forward trade up to four years then clubs will throw them around like confetti.

We will see players worth one pick today getting two picks etc etc.

Inflation.

Imagine Saints supporters if we ran out against them next year fielding Bont, Naughton AND Petracca... 😀

Won't someone think of the draft picks!
Even worse - Coffield is with them, the bloke they took before Naughton

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back