Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I don’t want this to come across as harsh but can we please use the words his and he’s correctly in posts?

His is a possessive adjective. “he hurt his knee”

He’s is short for he is “He’s not going to play this weekend because he’s sh*t”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Completely agree. Hope more people pay attention to Hobdog, his got a point

Big big no to Billings. He sucks. There hasn’t been a softer player in AFL history. And that includes Sam Power.

Guys, I don’t want this to come across as harsh but can we please use the words his and he’s correctly in posts?

His is a possessive adjective. “he hurt his knee”

He’s is short for he is “He’s not going to play this weekend because he’s sh*t”

Some people on here do use the wrong word more often then not.

That Hawthorn/Ratugolea story really is a doozy.

What makes it even stranger is that they are already pretty well stocked for tall defenders.

Sicily is obviously a gun and Jiath, DGB, Frost and a couple of kids in development, with Scrimshaw and Weddle as tallish defensive utilities, is a pretty solid unit given other list needs.
I disagree. They are seriously lacking a genuine KPD. DGB has been playing forward all year and hasn’t shown a single thing in defence. Blanck is reasonably average and the rest of the talls are medium sized. Frost is terrible and they’ll be looking to move on from him.

Ideally you want Sicily and Weddle as your 3rd and 4th talls in a defensive 7. Scrimshaw can play tall/small and then you have a couple of smalls (Impey & Hardwick) to round out the structure.

Some people on here do use the wrong word more often then not.

We should have a verse off 🙄
Which is worse his v he’s
or then v than

What have I started? 🤦🏼‍♂️

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton currently lacks the nous to break out on an easy lead. Dermie would be perfect to spend time with him. He knows leading patterns better than most.
Our forwards are also rubbish at blocking for each other. We really need to get a good forward coach in

That Hawthorn/Ratugolea story really is a doozy.

What makes it even stranger is that they are already pretty well stocked for tall defenders.

Sicily is obviously a gun and Jiath, DGB, Frost and a couple of kids in development, with Scrimshaw and Weddle as tallish defensive utilities, is a pretty solid unit given other list needs.
I'd say their spine is their weak point, both down back and up forward. Sicily is not a lockdown defender, Frost is close to the end, Jiath is the furthest thing from a key defender and DGB is being thrown forward to see if they have something.

If it's a "lock it in" type scenario. Then it's a complete failure of a strategy given how poor we are when it comes to stopping oppositions using their defence to springboard into their attack. It's so poor that it often exposes our one paced mids when it finds them out of position and in effect bystanders to what's unfolding around them.

I dont think it's a coincidence that we tried twice to shoehorn a clearly not ready (if he ever will be) Arthur Jones in there to provide a modicum of forward pressure. I'd go as far as to say that it's actually Naughton that provides the best forward pressure i50. It's little wonder that he can miss what are on the face of it easy shots at goal. Given how hard he works.

Anyways..I wonder if its a chicken/egg type thing with Naughton.

Do we drop it on his head.
  1. Because he isn't a natural forward with the repeat leading patterns of the likes of JUH?
  2. Because we often resort to crab like ball movement to protect a team that isn't great on the i50 turnover?
  3. Because we have a number of players who couldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat in the middle of a lake?
  4. Because his teammates know he is so good at it that it absolves them of all responsibility?
  5. All of the above.
  6. Other.
I
OG might prove me wrong here but without looking at the stats, I feel like all of our scoring and most of our entries come almost entirely from forward half turnover, not that we’re necessarily good at it relative to the league - just that’s how we play. I think this also leads to the repeat bomb entries because there’s generally 36 players in our half when we’re going inside 50.

This is how we are designed to play though for some reason, with the extremely high defensive push to lock it in - basically it leads to us grinding out long periods in the game with low scores because the balls living in our forward line but we’re unable to generate good looks, but for those minutes it protects our defence but when it does inevitably get through our defence gets pantsed for speed and they pretty much get a walk in goal.

It’s just no way for any team with high expectations to be playing. It’s dour, defensive & scared footy - you can argue it’s necessary because our list is overrated and it’s Bevos way of trying to protect a crap team - but the reason Bevo was so good in 15/16 is because he didn’t believe we were crap (when we were) and unleashed the shackles on the team to play good, attacking footy.

It’s just a weird turnaround from him and doesn’t make much sense
IMO this is spot on except our defenders play 5-10 metres in front of their man and when the opposition break through they're out of position.
Also, I reckon we've always played this way under Bevo. But in 2016 we had Clay Smith & Liam Picken to pressure and crumb.

I'm a pedant, and proud of it!

I've also enjoyed barracking for:
Jim Edmonds
Caleb Daniels
Ryan Hargraves (or Daniel Hargrave!)
Eastern Wood
Alex Keith
Baku Khamis

These are just off the top of my head that have appeared on here, some more than others.
(Sorry, as someone of European heritage who almost always experiences people struggle with my 6-letter phonetically straightforward name, I'm also a pedant for always referring to people by their correct name.)

I'd say their spine is their weak point, both down back and up forward. Sicily is not a lockdown defender, Frost is close to the end, Jiath is the furthest thing from a key defender and DGB is being thrown forward to see if they have something.
I would argue that Ratugolea is basically an inferior version of Sicily/Jiath, rather than a genuine gun kpd and therefore a far from justifiable use of resources but I guess we all see it differently.

FUTURE PICKS REQUIRED FOR TRADE UP​

CLUBS will consider dangling their future first-round picks to help break into the top end of this year's draft with a standout group of prospects emerging.

The top 10 picks of this year's draft have been set after the end of the home and away season but there is still expected to be plenty of movement, with Gold Coast to trade out its pick No.4, West Coast listening to offers on No.1, North Melbourne looking at ways to creep up from No.2 and a potential draft compensation pick coming in for Ben McKay.

Outside of the points-hunting Suns, clubs don't expect that bundling first-round picks with second-round picks will see any clubs interested in backing out of the top 10, with the likelihood that future first-round would be required to jump into the top echelon of the draft.

I would argue that Ratugolea is basically an inferior version of Sicily/Jiath, rather than a genuine gun kpd and therefore a far from justifiable use of resources but I guess we all see it differently.
Esava sucks completely. They us Jiath for his run off half back not to actual lock anyone down.

Does it get on your nerves when people say "Arksk" instead of "Ask" ?
Drives me bonkers.

Except when the Hawk says it 😁

Those of you tired of hearing me bang the below drum. Please forgive me or skip past if you haven't already.

OG might prove me wrong here but without looking at the stats, I feel like all of our scoring and most of our entries come almost entirely from forward half turnover, not that we’re necessarily good at it relative to the league - just that’s how we play. I think this also leads to the repeat bomb entries because there’s generally 36 players in our half when we’re going inside 50.

Im not sure, my sense is that most of our goals come from kicks from outside 50 and contested marks i50.

I can't be certain but Id imagine that the vast baulk of our scoring comes from mark. kick. goals from Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Weightman.

One thing is certain Watching our side crab the ball around invokes thoughts of constipation.
This is how we are designed to play though for some reason, with the extremely high defensive push to lock it in - basically it leads to us grinding out long periods in the game with low scores because the balls living in our forward line but we’re unable to generate good looks, but for those minutes it protects our defence but when it does inevitably get through our defence gets pantsed for speed and they pretty much get a walk in goal.

Do we really press any higher than other teams though? From what I can tell all teams defensive lines begin across half back or higher when coming out of their own defence. The biggest issue that we had in this regard this season was the folly of playing 4 KPD. 3 of whom are not great users of the ball when in space. Let alone under pressure. I dont think it's an accident that we played our best football during a brief period when JJ, Dale and Richards were all in the defensive half.

It’s just no way for any team with high expectations to be playing. It’s dour, defensive & scared footy - you can argue it’s necessary because our list is overrated and it’s Bevos way of trying to protect a crap team - but the reason Bevo was so good in 15/16 is because he didn’t believe we were crap (when we were) and unleashed the shackles on the team to play good, attacking footy.

It’s just a weird turnaround from him and doesn’t make much sense
The difference between the 2015 era team and this one is that former was a less talented but a much more even side than the current one. It also had teh massive benefit a rock solid core of hardened campaigners ( I mean that in th true sense not the Bigfooty one) who provided leadership across every line. I dont think we could say that about todays side. Where it's seems to be the Bont, Libba and Naughton who provide the spark to get the team up and about.

Ive said many times that in my view we have resorted to this style of play to cover our general lack of pace across the ground.

It's the same reason that we bring an extra to the contest. Its famine or feast we win the ball or it goes wide and coast to coast.

It's why Ive been decrying the state of our wingers all season. The filler that we've elected to rotate through there just dont provide the defensive coverage that a modern winger needs to. For all his faults this is where Lachie Hunter excelled.

A thing I’ve noticed is Naughton’s marks on lead have declined as his defensive numbers have increased. I’m not saying there’s causation, but it’s possible the price for the focus on becoming the best defensive key forward in the game, and one of the best defensive forward generally, may have been paid in some ways by aspects of his offensive output.
The amount of i50 defensive work that he does is an vastly underrated by the commentariat who like to bag him for missing set shots.

It's not his job to be our best defensive forward. Indeed its an indictment on those around him.

He's one player that tends to leave it all on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back