Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I agree with both of you.

From what I'm told, we were fairly far down the path with Barass, Pratt met up with him recently with the clubs permission when WCE were over here, and we had outlined an offer to him, but it was a ''wait until after the season is over before we continue further'' type situation, as Bevo likes to meet and chat with any perspective recruit before we put pen to paper, but Bevo doesn't do it in season out of respect to other clubs/coaches/dedication to the Dogs.

Hawks got wind that they weren't in the race for Smith anymore so shifted their focus to defenders and flew Sam Mitchell + others straight to W.A. mid week to meet with him and offer him a bit more than what we were, and that was enough to get him over the line with a commitment.

As much as I admire the respect side of it from Bevo, sadly if this is how the industry is going to move, then we do need to be more agressive and he needs to start meeting with prospective players during the season to get them over the line.
Hawthorn and targeting players the dogs want. Seems to go hand in hand.

Understand where you're coming from, but you have to fight fire with fire. Clearly coaches getting in the ear of, and meeting players, mid season is the norm now. We've got to sell the club. Players won't just come by sitting on our hands.
I too understand where you're coming from, I just think it sets a dangerous precedent. If a player isn't happy with a meeting with power& Pratt/Zoom with Beveridge then I'd rather them go to another club. I get times change but in the past we have complained Beveridge gets involved too much on these types of things and that he seems burnt out come match day, this year he looks reenergised and it is alot to do with him taking a step back with others filling roles at VFL level and Egan taking other jobs off his hands. At the end of the day I think that we employ these people for a reason and if a face to face with the coach rather then a line coach they have an exsisting relationship with gets them over the line then so be it.

I don't like to discuss those things at this time of year although I expect we don't see many Delistings this year, probably only one, most list changes will come via trades and retirements.

Most likely Bedendo if I had to guess

I don't like to discuss those things at this time of year although I expect we don't see many Delistings this year, probably only one, most list changes will come via trades and retirements.
We really don't have too many realistic delisting options. Bedendo will likely be moved on & Clarke should be given another year. Keath, Duryea & JJ all may or may not retire. Buku, Smith & Garcia all possible trade options at this point.

Gardner & Clearly should not have been given longer term contracts. Both aren't providing us anything on the list moving forward. Rypstra might be given a rookie spot?

To hazard a guess:
Bedendo (delist)
Keath (retire)
JJ (retire)
Smith (trade)
O'Driscoll (retire)

Just on Buku and the comments that he is not strong enough in one on one contests. I agree with this but am wondering why. He came to us in the 2018 rookie draft so has had 6 preseasons to build up his strength. I have noticed no difference over that time. Would the club set him a program to do this and it hasn’t worked or he hasn’t followed it? Is this not a priority because the club sees him in an interceptor role and value speed, leap and marking over wrestling? He just can’t put on muscle? Maybe it’s just genetic.

Just on Buku and the comments that he is not strong enough in one on one contests. I agree with this but am wondering why. He came to us in the 2018 rookie draft so has had 6 preseasons to build up his strength. I have noticed no difference over that time. Would the club set him a program to do this and it hasn’t worked or he hasn’t followed it? Is this not a priority because the club sees him in an interceptor role and value speed, leap and marking over wrestling? He just can’t put on muscle? Maybe it’s just genetic.
Needs to go and watch Easton Wood videos non stop.

Took a while for Easton to become what he was.

Buku needs a massive off season in the gym and gets one more year to see if he can improve his contested work imho.
The thing to consider is if we offer Khamis one more year and another club offer two what does he do? Last year this exact situation took place and he chose to stay rather then go to the Roos, looks like the same will happen again this year but with the Saints. I'd suggest the Saints are a slightly more appealing proposition then north.

The thing to consider is if we offer Khamis one more year and another club offer two what does he do? Last year this exact situation took place and he chose to stay rather then go to the Roos, looks like the same will happen again this year but with the Saints. I'd suggest the Saints are a slightly more appealing proposition then north.
Why? They constantly top up for some reason and don't know how to recruit. Even if they had 2 very high picks this year because of Battle they'd probably blow them.

Their youth is pretty crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? They constantly top up for some reason and don't know how to recruit. Even if they had 2 very high picks this year because of Battle they'd probably blow them.

Their youth is pretty crap
Also I may be biased but their drafting recently has been impressive.

Also I may be biased but their drafting recently has been impressive.
They are the Clayton of modern drafting.
Fluffing first round picks and finding gold later in the draft, although I rate Phillipou.
It hurts to think about Marshall being a rookie pick the year we took Timmy with a first rounder.

I've been one of Buku's biggest supporters yet i'm finally starting to doubt myself.

Yet its not because of his strength work. He should never be played on the "gorilla" types and is not a modern day KPD.

He is an interceptor who should be running off providing an offensive weapon yet it just hasn't happened. I thought it would be a natural progression yet the confidence and maybe stamina required just isn't there.

I still think he can make it yet he needs to get a move on quickly.

Fluffing first round picks and finding gold later in the draft, although I rate Phillipou.
It hurts to think about Marshall being a rookie pick the year we took Timmy with a first rounder.

Also hurts with the subsequent removal of third man up and then 6-6-6 because Bevo almost made the dinosaurs extinct.

If those didn’t happen we would be covering Tim’s limitations a hell of a lot better…though plenty of time has passed and it’s much of a muchness now. But we zigged and the afl zagged there.

Also hurts with the subsequent removal of third man up and then 6-6-6 because Bevo almost made the dinosaurs extinct.

If those didn’t happen we would be covering Tim’s limitations a hell of a lot better…though plenty of time has passed and it’s much of a muchness now. But we zigged and the afl zagged there.
Third man up rule change killed us in 2017.

Going back to 2021
Pick 11 - Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 33 - Mitch Owen's (Free hit)
Pick 47 - Windhager (Free hit)
Pick 51 - Oscar Adams (bust)
Plus Max heath and Cooper Sharman mid- season

Pick 10 - Philipou
Pick 31 - Van Es ( horrible injury run)
Pick 35 Hotton (Jury is still out)
Pick 44 Keeler (developing nicely)

Pick 18 - Darcy Wilson
Pick 28 - Collard
Pick 33 - Hastie
Pick 50 Hugo Garcia (one of my favourites)
Pick 62 - Shoenmaker

That's three great years in my book.

Going back to 2021
Pick 11 - Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 33 - Mitch Owen's (Free hit)
Pick 47 - Windhager (Free hit)
Pick 51 - Oscar Adams (bust)
Plus Max heath and Cooper Sharman mid- season

Pick 10 - Philipou
Pick 31 - Van Es ( horrible injury run)
Pick 35 Hotton (Jury is still out)
Pick 44 Keeler (developing nicely)

Pick 18 - Darcy Wilson
Pick 28 - Collard
Pick 33 - Hastie
Pick 50 Hugo Garcia (one of my favourites)
Pick 62 - Shoenmaker

That's three great years in my book.
I'm not sold yet on Philipou being a good pick for his price. Otherwise agree. 2021 in particular was great for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back