Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Copped that head knock in the last game - maybe something from that?

Even if he was - he almost kicked 2 goals in a minute

I feel so sorry for Bont. Carries the team all year, single handedly wins us games, has a down game Friday night and probably hoped the rest would pick up the slack and most went missing, some may as well have not even bothered getting off the couch.

I expect Bevo wants speed but in the team. Teams with fast players have cut us up but only when we lose the midfield.

You can’t see the benefit of this on TV but I assume for those of you watching the games that VDM, McNeil and Gallagher do a lot of work - do see tackles - but their combined output in terms of possessions and goals is just not sufficient. I don’t buy that if your job is a forward goals don’t matter or if a mid - possessions.

But the biggest missing element at the moment is hardness - this is most evident in big games where we want our player attacking the ball not watching. In West and García we have players that attack the ball like previous teams which and players like Clay, Pickers, etc. Under pressure some crack and some don’t - this is not seen at training but in the real heat.

So I don’t think we need those - we just need to pick them. Add Sanders into midfield and we have a much better trio than we played.

We also have been seeking a winger for ever. Williams is more a defensive wing and good kick and Friejah seems like a future superstar (And I think will
Be a better Blake Acres as he develops his tank) but is a big fella and has a lot of similarities - could just as well be the LT midfielder replacement of Bont.

Baker and Poulter are other before have speed but I mean aggression and real gut running speed.

Ironically what we need is a description of Bailey Smith - if we lose him it is not because of need.

But we also need speedy players who can play - at least one best 22 and one developing in defence and in attack and a winger. Sydney have heaps of them as do Brisbane and GWS and they put a premium on these players.

In defence, (Can’t rely on JJ - Bramble has been OK, Duryea is a very good player for some but is too slow for many, Dale is also a very good player but not for the smaller speedy agile forward.

In attack we keep trying VDM, McNeil, Gallagher, Jones, Rypstra, Clarke but none are scary to opposition or are they able to play well at the feet of our talls. Against team defence like Hawks the defenders are happy to just smash into the talls and let the ball hit the ground. Where we are very week.

This is why I like Garcia and West they can use the centre square experience to not allow the ball to be pulled away and in Wests case take marks that make them threats so player like Sicily can’t float around and leave their players.

NOD would be great. Peatling is good but more a midfielder we don’t really need. But would take him assuming we lose Smith.

Most other positions are strong so we can play this by numbers - this means a pretty big delist and bring in 6 potential players to fill these roles - 2 for each position.

I expect Bevo wants speed but in the team. Teams with fast players have cut us up but only when we lose the midfield.

You can’t see the benefit of this on TV but I assume for those of you watching the games that VDM, McNeil and Gallagher do a lot of work - do see tackles - but their combined output in terms of possessions and goals is just not sufficient. I don’t buy that if your job is a forward goals don’t matter or if a mid - possessions.

But the biggest missing element at the moment is hardness - this is most evident in big games where we want our player attacking the ball not watching. In West and García we have players that attack the ball like previous teams which and players like Clay, Pickers, etc. Under pressure some crack and some don’t - this is not seen at training but in the real heat.

So I don’t think we need those - we just need to pick them. Add Sanders into midfield and we have a much better trio than we played.

We also have been seeking a winger for ever. Williams is more a defensive wing and good kick and Friejah seems like a future superstar (And I think will
Be a better Blake Acres as he develops his tank) but is a big fella and has a lot of similarities - could just as well be the LT midfielder replacement of Bont.

Baker and Poulter are other before have speed but I mean aggression and real gut running speed.

Ironically what we need is a description of Bailey Smith - if we lose him it is not because of need.

But we also need speedy players who can play - at least one best 22 and one developing in defence and in attack and a winger. Sydney have heaps of them as do Brisbane and GWS and they put a premium on these players.

In defence, (Can’t rely on JJ - Bramble has been OK, Duryea is a very good player for some but is too slow for many, Dale is also a very good player but not for the smaller speedy agile forward.

In attack we keep trying VDM, McNeil, Gallagher, Jones, Rypstra, Clarke but none are scary to opposition or are they able to play well at the feet of our talls. Against team defence like Hawks the defenders are happy to just smash into the talls and let the ball hit the ground. Where we are very week.

This is why I like Garcia and West they can use the centre square experience to not allow the ball to be pulled away and in Wests case take marks that make them threats so player like Sicily can’t float around and leave their players.

NOD would be great. Peatling is good but more a midfielder we don’t really need. But would take him assuming we lose Smith.

Most other positions are strong so we can play this by numbers - this means a pretty big delist and bring in 6 potential players to fill these roles - 2 for each position.
Does our desire for more speed give JJ another year? I wouldn’t hate playing him as a forward role again if it meant moving on from VDM etc.

I’m not a big Owies fan but we need a small forward that impacts the scoreboard as well as does what VDM and McNeil are supposed to have been doing. Opposition coaches know that these 2 aren’t going to hurt you on the scoreboard so can plan differently.
Look how often Cody struggles in our team. The small fwds of other teams do well as they get involved in transition. Our game plan in centred around our mids and key fwds. Playing small fwd in out time is the loneliest position in the AFL. Yes VDM and McNeil need to take their opportunities but both did a lot right Friday night. Our stars let us down on Friday. These poor guys cop the brunt to often.

We’re meant to feel bad for the best player in the comp because his lesser teammates didn’t pick up the slack he left when stinking it up in the most important game of our season?

That’s a left field take.

No, just saying he can't be expected to tear it up every bloody week. He had a poor game - absolutely - and he needed to have a big one, but he alone has carried us over the line more times than I can remember this year. On Friday night, he and we needed others to step up and pick up some of the slack and they went missing, particularly many of our better players.

Not too difficult grasp is it?

Also the pile on Jones for slowing down in the second half of the year is nuts. Has done an amazing job and already made his contract worthwhile even if next year is an up and down one.
I’m not sure it’s a pile on, just a realisation that relying on him for a 2025/26 finals tilt might be too much and so we need to bring Busslinger through. I think a full AFL season will be too much for a 21 year old Buss so it’s not a bad transition year between the two.

Reckon Darcy spends the next 5 months in the gym and farting protien, then we see a 50-50 Darcy-English ruck forward combo.

Conundrum is Sam will be our best forward and best ruckman next season he cannot be in both at the same time. Maybe Tim needs spend a lot of time in the boxing ring over the pre- season to put some mongrel into him. I think it would need to be outside the club with the concussion rules I do not think boxing training is allowed.

If Geelong make the grand final;

We must, and I mean MUST, get Geelong’s f1 as well as pick 17/18 for Baz.

We may have to throw in whatever we get for either Daniel or Macrae (second rounder?) because it’s Geelong and they’re stingy c***s, but accepting essentially two seconds for Baz would not sit well with me in the slightest.

If we turn our young & famous, highly touted pick 7 finals superstar into pick 25 & 55 (after academy picks) I’ll spew up.

If we're stuck with him the work needs to start very early this pre-season to change up his body. Needs to put on 10kg in the core and not worry too much about covering as much ground.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Geelong make the grand final;

We must, and I mean MUST, get Geelong’s f1 as well as pick 17/18 for Baz.

We may have to throw in whatever we get for either Daniel or Macrae (second rounder?) because it’s Geelong and they’re stingy c***s, but accepting essentially two seconds for Baz would not sit well with me in the slightest.

If we turn our young & famous, highly touted pick 7 finals superstar into pick 25 & 55 (after academy picks) I’ll spew up.
I’d send him to the pre season draft if Geelong don’t want to pay multiple first rounders for him

I’m not sure it’s a pile on, just a realisation that relying on him for a 2025/26 finals tilt might be too much and so we need to bring Busslinger through. I think a full AFL season will be too much for a 21 year old Buss so it’s not a bad transition year between the two.
He’s already done his job, anything we get out him next year is a bonus. JOD the one who worries me a touch but that may be harsh considering how far he has come. The way Dear, who weighs 80kg soaking wet just moved him out of the way was worrying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would play Busslinger over JOD early next season no question.

I feel like I’m alone in loving JOD. I think he is a great player and will be an amazing one in a couple years.

I’d be plying Buss ahead of Jones next year personally. A backline of Lobb, JOD and Buss excites the hell out of me.

Maybe Croft will replace Lobb in 4 years.

Conundrum is Sam will be our best forward and best ruckman next season he cannot be in both at the same time. Maybe Tim needs spend a lot of time in the boxing ring over the pre- season to put some mongrel into him. I think it would need to be outside the club with the concussion rules I do not think boxing training is allowed.
Boxing isn't a game lol.
He could do bag work and mits etc for fitness, but are you seriously suggesting he spars or fights boxers?

Also the pile on Jones for slowing down in the second half of the year is nuts. Has done an amazing job and already made his contract worthwhile even if next year is an up and down one.
People forget Jones was out for the mid part of the year

I feel like I’m alone in loving JOD. I think he is a great player and will be an amazing one in a couple years.

I’d be plying Buss ahead of Jones next year personally. A backline of Lobb, JOD and Buss excites the hell out of me.

Maybe Croft will replace Lobb in 4 years.

Jones had a bad game against the Giants and an average game against the Hawks, but apart from that I can’t really think of a game he played badly in this season.

I think it’s vastly overblown how ‘washed’ he is after a couple of below average performances.

I’d send him to the pre season draft if Geelong don’t want to pay multiple first rounders for him
Exactly lol. Don't let Geelong dictate things. If they don't want to pony up the picks let Baz know Richmond and Norf would love to have him.

Sick of players and other clubs walking all over us all the time. Time we stood our ground and be ruthless for once

If there’s one thing I want out of this off season, it’s a new forward line coach and Spanger out.

Try some new ideas, we have this generational forward line individually (JUH is developing and still a gun) yet constantly struggling in almost every way that a forward line can.

I’ve been wanting Spanger gone since 2021, and now we have some proof that it may be successful considering how our backline went from one of the worst to the absolute best under a coach change.

Love this. For one we need to stop pushing our fwds so far up the ground. Yes, that’s how the game is played now, within 75m. But if we’re going to do that, our fwds need to reset quicker and make the ground bigger so they can come at the ball rather than lead away.

I also think our fwds, namely Mara are lazy. Too many times he’d rather put his hand up and try out body his opponent rather than use his speed and mobility to lose his opponent and lead up at the football.

Basic football. Move ball quickly, make ground big and wide, come at ball. Not a hard concept.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly lol. Don't let Geelong dictate things. If they don't want to pony up the picks let Baz know Richmond and Norf would love to have him.

Sick of players and other clubs walking all over us all the time. Time we stood our ground and be ruthless for once
Biting your nose off to spite your face is unprofessional and down right stupid.

And we walk all over club's at times.

We walked over The Saints getting Bruce.
We walked all over Adelaide getting Keath (even though half our supporters still can't spell his name).
We took a total dump on Collingwood getting Treloar.

Biting your nose off to spite your face is unprofessional and down right stupid.

And we walk all over club's at times.

We walked over The Saints getting Bruce.
We walked all over Adelaide getting Keath (even though half our supporters still can't spell his name).
We took a total dump on Collingwood getting Treloar.

We actually did Collingwood a solid giving them pick 14 for Treloar when they had to offload him for cap space. We could’ve screwed them over hard but didn’t.

Also not you comparing Bruce and Keath trades to Baz lmao.

He’s already done his job, anything we get out him next year is a bonus. JOD the one who worries me a touch but that may be harsh considering how far he has come. The way Dear, who weighs 80kg soaking wet just moved him out of the way was worrying.
Completely agree on Jones. Absolutely the right call bringing him back to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back