Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets not get lost in the weeds of rookie listed players because it can create confusion and teams spread among the different categories for salary cap reasons etc that's not pertinent to our discussion.

Essentially you have 42 players

James O'Donnell also has to get upgraded from Cat B (outside the list) to onto the list, because we signed him to a two-year deal. It wasn't explicitly stated that he would cease to be a Cat B rookie next year but we would assume that's the case, though he remains eligible to be a Cat B rookie we would want to ward off other potential teams recruiting him.

We are allowed a maximum of 42 players across main list and Cat A rookie.

We can add another 2 Cat B rookies (either tied to F/S or academy, or a other sport recruit like O'Donnell).

Out: O'Driscoll, Bedendo, Smith, Macrae, Daniel (5 players)
In: O'Donnell, Kennedy, O'Halloran (3 players).

I anticipate whether we delist Clarke or Keath depend on whether or not the XOH deal goes through, to take three draft picks. Maybe we delist both (or one absent recruiting XOH) in order to have a fourth list spot open, either to take a fourth draft pick or to hold over a list spot for the SSP period.

We may be downgrading Keath or Clarke to the rookie list if necessary, if we are retaining them (or maybe will do so with JJ, as we did with Duryea last year).

We have picks 35, 48, 90. If we take 3 picks, it'll be whatever we get for Smith, and whatever 35 and 48 become after the Daniel and Smith trades, are both are likely to be upgraded to earlier picks in the 20's and 30s. So we'll have three picks in a quick 15-20 grouping between pick 21 and 40 or so, but nothing later than that IMO.

We'll probably ontrade the future second we get from Geelong onto GWS to get XOH, maybe get a future third or future fourth back.
The main list/rookie list balance is relevant (even though I don't think the rookie list should exist in its current form) because it does impact our main draft picks available, including with the 3 pick requirement. It is certainly confusing which is why I've spelt it out in my post above.

Also O'Donnell does not need to be upgraded until the end of next year - his initial contract length is not really relevant to that ruling and he can change lists midway through his next contract. Unless we have 2 new Cat B rookies in mind, we are better off keeping him on there and retaining the extra main/Cat A rookie list spot. We also have no specific requirement to upgrade any of our other Cat A rookies this offseason as none have reached 3 years.

The main list/rookie list balance is relevant (even though I don't think the rookie list should exist in its current form) because it does impact our main draft picks available, including with the 3 pick requirement. It is certainly confusing which is why I've spelt it out in my post above.
Far enough, but for the sake of argument lets just say it's easy enough for us to get JJ/Keath/Clarke to move to the rookie list should we need to make those picks available - just like it was relatively easy to do it with Duryea last year because we had to for similar reasons.
Also O'Donnell does not need to be upgraded until the end of next year - his initial contract length is not really relevant to that ruling and he can change lists midway through his next contract.
Yeah fair enough and you're probably right, just my initial thoughts were that we would be upgrading him because we can't give him a pay increase next year on the Cat B rookie list, as he's getting the standard rookie minimum contract. I suppose if we're just backloading the increase over two years until the 2025-6 off-season, he'll change lists then.

Far enough, but for the sake of argument lets just say it's easy enough for us to get JJ/Keath/Clarke to move to the rookie list should we need to make those picks available - just like it was relatively easy to do it with Duryea last year because we had to for similar reasons.
We have the ability to move 1 of Keath or Clarke to the rookie list to add an additional main list position. However doing so would max out our rookie list and mean we have no availability for the SSP period, which the club has been happy to keep a spot open for in recent years as a contingency, so I personally doubt it would happen. Also we can't move JJ given we've just re-contracted him without going the delist/re-rookie route.
Yeah fair enough and you're probably right, just my initial thoughts were that we would be upgrading him because we can't give him a pay increase next year on the Cat B rookie list, as he's getting the standard rookie minimum contract. I suppose if we're just backloading the increase over two years until the 2025-6 off-season, he'll change lists then.
The rookie list salary is a minimum only. You can pay more than the minimum, which I assume we would for O'Donnell's next contract so it would effectively make which list he is on irrelevant to whether he's Cat B or otherwise.

It's easy for people to forget we're dealing with 2025 Macrae and Daniel, not 2016.

2016 was a long time ago. It's gone.
I look forward to you changing your mind and agreeing with me in 12 months. And frothing worse than I ever have.

How many times have you called for the coach to be sacked now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you expecting? Premiership or lets not try and just reminisce about what happened in 2016?

What would you suggest we do?
Not throw out club champions for significantly worse players.

Actually have a consistent and discernible draft and trading strategy. That would be nice.

Are we rebuilding? Are we trying to contend? What are we doing?

I could at least stomach it if we were going a rebuild but we are after mature aged players not picks.

Actually have a consistent and discernible draft and trading strategy. That would be nice.

I could at least stomach it if we were going a rebuild but we are after mature aged players not picks.
We aren't doing that we are trading club champions as they don't have a position to play in the team and we are replacing them with players who do,

We have got a clear and consistent strategy draft key pillars with higher picks trade for role players who fit characteristics required

We are contending nothing we have done this off season suggests we are rebuilding

We just finished 6th and have elite young talent, why on earth would we rebuild?

If you think that Kennedy and XOH are significantly worse players than current day Macrae and Daniel than I really don’t know what to tell you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back