Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW the club doesn't necessarily see XOH as an instant upgrade over Vanders, or that Kennedy is an instant upgrade over Harmes or would even necessarily get a game in R1. Just that they overall contribute to an overall playing group that is more likely to consistently put out a winning team next year.

As long as you have a professional playing group that won't spit the dummy if they're asked to play reserves a few week, and a good culture/relationship with the club, it's all about building a balanced playing group.

Having more options is good in case of injury/form
Having players who are more versatile is good in the case of injury/form/if Bevo needs to make tactical changes mid-season
Balancing out the salary cap for future years is good, even if there's no immediate benefit in terms of cap squeeze/immediate new signing or re-signing this off-season.

It's all about respecting the fact that there's always going to be uncertainty for the future, you can't predict or control the future, but all we can do is set ourselves up with a range of different options, failsafes and flexibilities that will help us weather the unpredictability of the future so that we maximise on unexpected bonuses in the future and minimise the damage of potential unpredictability of the future (such as injury or form drop offs).

For a squad that's never finished in the top 4 of the home and away season, an element of tactical balance against all teams, options for Bevo, and the capacity to win our 15 or 16 games next year that will get us to top 4 is really all we can ask.

Pick 25 in this draft is equivalent to a first round pick in others. Do people really think XOH is worth a pseudo first round pick?
I'd prefer to get XOH with a future 2nd and take 25 to the draft, sure. But you don't always get what you want, especially when you're trying to pry out a contracted, required player. Do you want a slightly better pick, or to get the established player you want?

I'd expect to pay less for Kennedy seeing Carlton seem to have shopped him around to free up list spots.

Pick 25 in this draft is equivalent to a first round pick in others. Do people really think XOH is worth a pseudo first round pick?
You cannot honestly say this with a straight face, surely.

While I get that there's strong draft and weak drafts, we can never be so certain about them that we can be this absolute what one draft is over another.

Is it still a strong draft if, while all the top 25 players look good, they all have a predisposition to injury and half the players tear their ACL in their first couple of years?

Is it a weak draft in other years, if players are slow starters but collectively show a commitment to improve their game and train hard and offer far more value in their mid and late 20's that we couldn't predict that they would show, when they were teenagers?

How can we know that 25 players are good, when assessing talent is only ever relative to the fact that they're playing games against the same draft pool that is also supposed to be strong or weak, such as in the national championships?

It's crap.

Just making a completely wild guess here but I wonder if Connors is on the phone to Smith right now asking him if he's open to the idea of playing for any other club than Geelong next season

Is XOH a dog yet?.. or am I preparing myself for more 7 disposal, 3 chases and 1 tackle games from VDM?
Hopefully he is, so prepare yourself for a 9 disposal, 4 chase and 2 tackle game from XOH and less but still three quarters of the criticism that somes VDM's way.

Hopefully he is, so prepare yourself for a 9 disposal, 4 chase and 2 tackle game from XOH and less but still three quarters of the criticism that somes VDM's way.
better stats than my afl career

Best case scenario
Smith > 17 + future 2nd
Daniel > 25
Macrae > 32

XOH > future 2nd (GWS can pick which one)
Kennedy > 48 (list spot dump)

take 17, 25, 32, 35 to the draft

Worst case scenario (ok it can always technically worse)
Smith > 17
Daniel > XOH
Macrae > Kennedy

take 17, 35, 48 to the draft (and no additional 2nd rounder for 2025), and target a DFA for the last list spot.

Even in that second scenario, we shed $$$$ off the cap and change up the balance of our 22 a fair bit. Then we have a crack at Lindsay or Hannaford at 17, and have a few second rounders to find a role player or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just making a completely wild guess here but I wonder if Connors is on the phone to Smith right now asking him if he's open to the idea of playing for any other club than Geelong next season
1% chance, but if the Barrass deal falls over ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back