Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If they had offered pick 25, then you'd be right.

But when it's all said and done, list managers consider the ramifications of the draft. Consider these things:

The pick for Macrae will likely come in 5-6 spots to a pick in the late 30s.

The pick for Daniel will balloon out to a pick in the late 20s or early 30s, and we're giving a pick that will come in to a pick in the early 40s with it.

In these hypotheticals, their value is pretty similar I would have thought.
That’s fair.

In terms of the players themselves, Macrae would likely be St Kilda’s best midfielder from day one. It’s no secret that they have been crying out for elite midfield talent for a number of years.

There is still a clear role for him at AFL level, and can easily see him averaging 30+ disposals next year. I can’t say the same for Caleb however, who’s combination of height, speed and physicality (or lack of), begs the question what he can bring to the table moving forward. I would have though North had enough ‘accumulators’ across half back who get completely exposed defensively.

If I was Sam Power I know who I’d be keeping - and if North’s pick 25 is on the table for CD, we should be snapping their hand off.

Ideally we thank both players for their services and loyalty and inject some youth and speed into the list.

The talk of clearing space being our focus shits me.

The best clubs keep their stars and attract new high end talent.

We need to do more.

I understand North are far more desperate for ‘established’ talent than the Saints, but the fact that Caleb’s market value is ~20 picks higher than Jacko’s is puzzling to me.

daniel is 2 years younger and at 28, you might expect 3-5 more years from him without much drop-off in form. (His value is skills and smarts based, not athleticism) They would play him as a rebounding defender.

Macrae has similar strengths, but is 2 years closer to the end and plays a more contact-oriented role. Youd expect him to see out his current contract and then probably thats it. Hes also on a higher salary than Daniel I believe (correct me if Im wrong).

this trade period for us really is a whole bunch of nothing

if we do get a few decent picks for daniel/smith/macrae

are we really gonna go that hard in the draft this year?

The biggest change we could make this offseason is fixing our midfield stoppages. We have everything else we need.

It’s an ask when you have a complete non-factor in the ruck though. We did try and scheme around that with the “strip club”, which got completely exposed in a final.

We have to accomodate for being on the back foot at the first stage of any bounce or throw in and it hasn’t been sustainable since Tim became our main ruck.

this trade period for us really is a whole bunch of nothing

if we do get a few decent picks for daniel/smith/macrae

are we really gonna go that hard in the draft this year?
We sure as sh1t should go hard in the draft. We need speed and mids. Without hitting the draft this year there aint much chance of them getting on our list.
If we get (as it stands now) 17, 25 and 47 from the saints, I'd love power to try package a bunch of picks up and move up the order, but doubt there would be any buyers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely with some of the big willy statements about how the cats would get Smith in the draft could be nullified by us saying “we’ll just get a pick higher than you and take him”
should of went hard for pick 13 from the suns just so we could have a stronger hand at getting more out of the ****wits

There’s so much upside with our list.
Haven’t even unleashed Croft or Busslinger yet.
A full pre season for Lobb in defence.
A full pre season for Ed in the midfield.
Another pre season for Freijah and Sanders.
And hopefully we nail a few solid picks in this years good draft.
The biggest holes in our list are (pressure small forward being the exception) the easiest to fill imo.

That’s fair.

In terms of the players themselves, Macrae would likely be St Kilda’s best midfielder from day one. It’s no secret that they have been crying out for elite midfield talent for a number of years.

There is still a clear role for him at AFL level, and can easily see him averaging 30+ disposals next year. I can’t say the same for Caleb however, who’s combination of height, speed and physicality (or lack of), begs the question what he can bring to the table moving forward. I would have though North had enough ‘accumulators’ across half back who get completely exposed defensively.

If I was Sam Power I know who I’d be keeping - and if North’s pick 25 is on the table for CD, we should be snapping their hand off.

Ideally we thank both players for their services and loyalty and inject some youth and speed into the list.
I'd absolutely be taking 25 for Daniel, and in a perfect world I'd like to keep Macrae, but provided we get what we feel we should for Macrae, I won't begrudge him for leaving, nor do I think we'll really miss him (I mean that as respectfully as possible).

The funny thing about all of this is that people acting like the club are dicks, are off the money, because if we were, we could have been a dick to Smith himself, and compelled him under his contract terms to fulfill his rehab in a way that forced him to be a the club for the whole season and only take his annual leave in October.

Even with an ACL he's required to undertake all of his rehab and training under club direction, no different than it being reasonable to ask a player to show up on training on time (see - Luke Goetz, who we were entitled to terminate his contract but also out of reasonableness we gave him a small payout).

We would have been entitled to do so, even if it was dicking and unreasonable.

In any case, we let him swan off to Europe in the middle of the year, because in contrary to what the media and Geelong fans are trying to suggest about our club, we are not unreasonable.

That’s fair.

This is absolutely my take on it as well and I don’t understand why St Kilda aren’t throwing pick 27 at us and begging us to take it.

That’s fair.

The difference between the two players is that while they're both going to get paid similar amounts of money for the next two years, Macrae has another year guaranteed. Plus as an older player, it's more likely that he's going to be a poorer player in 2026 anyway than Daniel, even if in 2025, he's likely to be just as good, if not better.

The fact that Macrae is guaranteed to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars in 2027, while the very reasonable possibility that his form in 2025 and 2026 (when combined with his form in 2024) is so poor that he doesn't even justify being an AFL listed player anywhere in 2027 (or if he does, only on a minimum deal), means that remains a negative asset, as he has to carry his contract and amount of money somewhere, whether at us or St Kilda.

There's actually a lot of similarities to the Hugh Greenwood situation. Greenwood was a decent but old and declining player with three years of a good contract remaining at Gold Coast/

Gold Coast delisted to attempt to re-draft on identical contract terms to his existing amount to help manipulate other players on the draft.

North Melbourne then swoopoed in and gave him a three year deal with zero trade outlay (delisted free agent) but agreeing to meet an identical contract terms.

However Greenwood just played the third year of the three years North were committed to him. He only played three games, despite being fit and playing for a bad team, and was on good money, like Macrae will be in 2027.

If Greenwood was coming out of contract one year ago, it's likely that no team in the league would have offered him a contract, for any amount, even one year on a minimum deal.

The 2 vs 3 years matters a lot for Daniel vs. Macrae.

4.7 Players Bound to One Club Not to be Registered With Another Club

A Player who is, in accordance with these Rules, bound to any Club may not be registered as a Player with any other Club until he ceases to be bound to the first mentioned Club. Valid registration with a Club will negate any previous registration with any other Club.

4.8 Players Bound if Listed

(a) A Player shall be bound to a Club if he or she is properly included on the Club'sList in accordance with these Rules. This Rule does not apply to a Player listed on a Club’s Rookie List, in which case Rule 10.3 applies.

(b) If a contract between a Club and a Player expires on 31 October in any year, the Player shall remain registered as a Player of and be bound to the Club until the conclusion of the National Draft Selection Meeting in the relevant year. This Rule does not apply if the Club deletes the Player’s name from its List during the period 31 October until the time and day when the de-listed Player is able to nominate for the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.2(c).

(c) If a Player remains bound to a Club by reason of Rule 4.8(b), the Club must pay to the Player an allowance in the amount determined from time to time by the AFL and AFLPA.

he's gotta wait until the rookie draft i think

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back