Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Size wise an older version of Friejah?
I like strong solid blokes over the modern greyhounds.
First thought was WHO? Watching a few clips of him, I’m onboard!.. got a good feeling about this choice

just that how far we go in the next 5 years is going to depend heavily on our talent ID and youngsters' development, which you seem to agree with.
I'm far more confident in our talent ID than I was last year by the fact that we were able to introduce players to AFL level, and why themselves might not have set the world on fire, the fact they were able to contribute to winning teams matters.

I think fans are not good enough to use the simple metric of "getting a game" as a predictor for the future. Mathematically speaking, the best players as they get older are the ones who get games as a young player, irrespective of stats, rather than players who were otherwise high draft picks or getting VFL stats but not getting picked by their team for whatever reason.

In other words I think it's a lot more likely that players, who are young and already getting a game, improve, rather than expect players not yet getting a game to improve to the extent that they break into the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he’s a best 22 player in a finals side. I actually have no problem with it if the coaching staff see a clear role for him.
Makes the comparison with Harmes more bazaar given Harmes had played a hell of a lot in the VFL in 2023.

Yet we bring in a first 22 player for a number of years from a club that has been finalists in the last 2 year, cheap and little impact on our Salary cap, yet we still have complaints as he is not the player people here want.

The trade thread that never stops delivering for the perpetually outraged I guess

I’d rather Kennedy than current Macrae personally. The games gone past the great man.

I’m not big on the harmes pick up last year tho I think that’s been a bust
I wouldn't say a bust. Was significant in some of our big wins before injury affected him. He is by definition more of a fringe player than Kennedy.

At least now we have a beast who can fight back against the Hawks midfield who have begun monstering us

Definitely an age profile we are lacking, in that 25-28 range. Getting him for next to nothing, as long as we still hit the draft and pump games into our young guns, I don’t think it’s the end of the world.

Provides a real edge and versatility across the ground. Might even be a good sub option, and potentially a better list fit than Macrae and CD on less coin.

The sooner we lock down Ed and Darc the better.

Kennedy is a better inside midfielder, a role he will hardly play at the dogs as Libba gets first crack and Sanders second crack.

I'm confused. Genuinely confused by this.
It may be that we are concerned about how many games Libba will play and also recognise that Sanders is not ready to play lots of AFL minutes as an inside mid.

If Libba goes down and Sanders is slow to improve, with no Macrae we will be screwed.

Kennedy is a better inside midfielder, a role he will hardly play at the dogs as Libba gets first crack and Sanders second crack.

I'm confused. Genuinely confused by this.
Maybe we are going to rest Libba, so he will be fresh for finals, I.e. interstate games.

Kennedy only makes sense if Beveridge changes the way he coaches and rotates the midfield for example:
Rotation one: Bont Libba Richards
Rotation two: treloar sanders Kennedy.

Richards and Kennedy the defensive/sweeper mids, Libba/sanders in and under mids, Bont and treloar the mids to feed the ball too.

If we play 3 guys 80% mid every week it’s a waste of a list spot

It may be that we are concerned about how many games Libba will play and also recognise that Sanders is not ready to play lots of AFL minutes as an inside mid.

If Libba goes down and Sanders is slow to improve, with no Macrae we will be screwed.
Harmes/Garcia/West rotations?

Honestly, we played our best football in recent years rotating heavily through the midfield. We left too much to too few in 2022 & 2023 and it hurt us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back