Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Kennedy just Harmes all over again?
We already have one of those stinking up our list.
Odd take - Harmes was on fire prior to his injury.

He was crap in the final but so was everyone (at least Harmes had the excuse of being his first game back to AFL after only one VFL game).

If you’re not happy with the way our trade period is heading go and read the comments in the PA board. I don’t think they’re too fond of trading in Rory Atkins.

Out Baz Daniel macrae

In Kennedy

I need a job where this is the bar for a productive years work

In a year where we bombed out in an elimination final you can’t spin to me that this isn’t a poor off season.

We’ll free up cap space but have proven we can’t attract talent anyway

As a member I want more from the club
To trade for big names, we need good draft picks. We do not have that.

None of the big names on the move, aside from Houston we even had a chance at, as they all largely went interstate.
Houston is late 20s, and we would have blown our remaining draft capital, to bring him in. Leaving us with zero ways to bring in some A and B tier draft talent. Which will see us fall down hard when Libba and Treloar retire the next year and two. We need to balance bringing players in, as well as hitting the draft.

If you're happy to share what moves you think we should have made and with what?

He was crap in the final but so was everyone (at least Harmes had the excuse of being his first game back to AFL after only one VFL game).
Was he though? Or did he just have a couple of good games after a trash early season then regress back to the mean in the final?

Either way I'm not sure we need another.

If you’re not happy with the way our trade period is heading go and read the comments in the PA board. I don’t think they’re too fond of trading in Rory Atkins.
Honestly cannot believe that Gold Coast turned around what was initially looking like yet another bad deal for them to them getting off the salary of two overpaid players next year (Luko and Atkins).

Throw in a Bows (as much as they coughed up a pick 7 they did it for a reason) and no doubt their ability to navigate the market is looking a lot better than it has been.

How they ever got themselves into that mess - paying for players that by definition were not good enough because they weren't getting them into finals - is anyone's guess but they've probably extracted themselves out of it over a few years as well as any club reasonably could.

Before injury

R8 21 disposals 7 tackles
R9 27 disposals 4 goals
R10 18 disposals 2 goals
R11 22 disposals 1 goal

Gave good midfield depth and started kicking goals not sure how that was crap

Happens every trade period where there’s 1-2 “big” players move each year yet magically we are supposed to trade for them all
People are getting upset that by definition we should be only trading for the biggest player or two in a given offsesaon (which I think Houston fits) every 10-15 years.

Tom Boyd was 10 years ago, for context.

Jesus big day for us tomorrow haha..

I've often wondered if one or two big trades are done early, then the AFL head office put NDAs in place to protect a "down to the wire" and "bumper last day" vibe to maximise interest across the week (or 9 days or whatever).

But agree - big day tomorrow for us....interesting to see how it pans out.

Imagine five years ago someone from the future coming back in time to let you how the team was looking heading into 2025. Lobb and Liam Jones as the key defenders, Dale as the star half back, Richards the most promising midfielder for the future, Treloar, Harmes and Matt Kennedy on the list, Smith, Dunkley, Macrae, and Daniel all traded but things still very promising for the next season.

The concept of planning in list management has become a lot more short term than it used to be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry all - Kennedy deal has hit a snag. I may have gone too early and upset everyone.
Thanks i've already ordered my custom Kennedy jersey too. You better pray we land him still or one of the Josh's come out of retirement.

I know Rory… Local Maribyrnong Park kid. All his suitcases have heavy duty wheels.. Adelaide, Gold Coast, and now Adelaide again (Port)
Talk about a “journey man”

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back