Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people seem to think there’s some “fair value” mechanism where clubs have to accept a “ fair offer” for an in contract player they are perfectly happy to keep.
Because a few of them still think we have salary cap issues so we must take unders for our contracted players

Saints F3 is worth more than dogs F3 I think.
Yep, but North are adamant that they'd want something of value back.

I we'd be happy to give up the Saints F3 instead of our own pick 48 plus North will give up their F4 to smooth the deal over.

Pick 45 is going to Kennedy.

i think we're happy to move on Saints F3 because we'd have it as a current asset for us for all of about 30 seconds before we ontrade it.

FWIW I think the club is avoiding trading back current picks and would be willing to trade future picks as it doesn't seem like we're that enthused about how to add to the list if we had to holdover a pick to the end of the draft, the SSP period or DFA. Unlike Bramble last year, or when we promote a VFL listed player, there's no real players that we're confident on that we'd get that other teams wouldn't that we rate as good as the 40th best player in the draft anyway.

Unlike other years the pick 40-whatever is actually meaningful to us.

Apparently we didn’t give them value for Bruce and Coffield.

Bruce I agree with, was pick 32 but that’s kind of their fault for not driving a hard bargain.

But Coffield??? He hadn’t played for 2 years and we gave them around pick 40?

Bruce I agree with, was pick 32 but that’s kind of their fault for not driving a hard bargain.

Bruce we gave plenty of value. He didn't show up in his first year, played one very good year and was injured for the rest. Pushed out too

Coffield was huge overs

32 and 51 for a 27 year old with 1 year left on contract.

Not sure how much more we'd have needed to add for "value". Was a decent forward but nowhere near the levels of a star.

I’ve been saying for two weeks that the Saints aren’t fooling anyone with this idea they’d go into 2025 with Jack Steele as literally their only AFL quality inside mid and would just walk away form Macrae if it’s more than F4.

Two hours to go, and not even a single whisper about any of our 5 potential deals. Does the AFL still run that stupid trade show, where they drip feed everything over the final hour, and pretend it was all done at the last minute?

Knocks back 47... then accepts 45?! 😲
You joke about a tiny pick upgrade, but in 2006, we got 46 in return for Rawlings and 43. I believe this was the first ever downgrade of a pick, to offload a player.

Rocco Jones (ex-Bigfooty and Woof royalty) was living in Perth at the time, and - before the draft - told me first hand that one of Andrew Swallow's best mates had said that we'd guaranteed him, if he was still available, that we'd select him at 43.

North had got wind of our interest in Swallow - maybe from Andrew himself - and despite us pushing all trade week to push that "nothing" downgrade to a swap of 4th for a 5th etc, insisted that the structure of that Rawlings trade would ensure they'd nab Swallow ahead of us.

12 years and 220 games later...

Now, hypothetically imagine we'd somehow settled on pick 48/49/50 in a trade last year rather than 44/45, and missed on Freijah... if Power is insisting on what looks to be a nothing upgrade, we shouldn't under-estimate what might be the driver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ex-bulldog Jake Stringer to GWS is goneski

ex-bulldog Jake Stringer to GWS is goneski

Doesn’t bode well for XOH. Maybe we’ll get to take 25 to the draft after all and not waste it.

Are you suggesting we tell Smith right now that we will send him to the draft, then trade ourselves into pick 16 and draft him, if he does not take accept being traded to Richmond?
anything to stuff about with Smith and Geelong. screw them. poney up if they value him that much

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back