Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well... one reason this will always be a small club is because we have no flipping spine. Other than the Daniel trade, we were shafted without lube. There is no way to paint this as anything other than another massive fail.

25 is good, Kennedy is good, but the rest was weak as piss. We went in with one plan, and one plan alone.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pray tell us, how you would have gone about negotiating a better deal for Bailey smith?

One thing that we could/should have done better is that as it emerged that Geelong were interested in Smith scoped out which of those players we could have traded for.

SDK and Clohesy were entertained to some extent but stuck around at Geelong, whereas if we'd manage to convince a Geelong player (even if either in or out of contract) to request a trade, that would have slanted the deck back our way a little bit.

That being said, the fact that we're not so underhanded in these sort of tactics does serve its benefits, it provides a good relationship with other clubs, other players and their managers, and helps us in some other recruits, too.

We really didn’t have any leverage whatsoever in the Bailey Smith situation, and the minor pick upgrade to get Kennedy over the line really is about as much as you could hope for.

You can be the best wheeler dealer in the world but without leverage you’re f**ked in any negotiation. Anyone who thinks they could have done better is delusional.
100% this, people rob the situation of all context to get shitty about it.

Both Macrae and Daniel were fringe this year and that didn’t look like changing. Literally why they wanted to go. Macrae has a very high salary which goes into that pick return (people like to ignore that part).

We had little to no leverage with Smith. The real issue is we should have dropped him last year.

We came in with no draft hand, we now have options. I’m taking the positive every time.

Kennedy on 2024 output is like for like with Macrae.

We got a good deal for Daniel as we were happier to keep him. Ignore the AA years ago that required a very specific role to work. He’s short and needs to be the most creative playmaker in the side to thrive. He didn’t have it. He’s out.

I think people are fixating on past successes without considering we got the most advantageous deals possible with what we had (contrast that with WCE and the Owies deal).

Poor Daniel, even saved our arses as his last act for us. What a legend

17, 25, 35, 48 in an allegedly deep, flat and strong draft will be fun! To the draft thread folks!
Daniel the gift that kept giving. great loyal servant, pick 46, 10 years service, B&F, flag, then handles his exit with class despite being hard done by in 2024, putting the club in a power position and lands us pick 25.

thankyou kind sir, hope you kill it at North, club legend

I’m interested to know what people think Power could have done? Smith was OOC and chose a club with no trade assets. You can’t hold a gun to their head and force them to find another pick. The only other option was losing him for nothing. You never know, with pick trading still allowed until November, we may be able to package up 17 and 25 to move up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Matt Kennedy is as tough and as physical as they say, I'd be giving him one job when we play Geelong next year.
If we play Geelong in the second half of the year, I'd like to formally welcome our mid-season draftee Clay Smith

Is the implication that he's likely to stay with Port, or seek another club (Geelong)?
Staying at port long term is what I've been told
They are trying to re-sign him early next year

However you wanna look at it, losing the quality of players we have in the last couple years is alarming - Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Dunkley. And not the best return on most of them either
the lesson here is not to let players you suspect or know want to leave become uncontracted,

got screwed twice with prime aged players leaving for little, while making competitors stronger

I'm really not sure what people think Power should have done instead.
Happy to be enlightened.

One thing I will say is the seeds of this were sown with our less than satisfactory outcome from the 2023 trade period where we traded out a lot to get a top 10 pick and to secure Croft against rival bids. I know some people will say oh not that again but it meant that we came in this year with picks 35 and 48 (or similar).

We've just made the final payment on Croft and Sanders. Can't be changed but I wasn't happy when that trade went down last year and I'm still disappointed in it.

This year I think we did as well as could be expected. No better, no worse.
We don't have a top 10 pick and when the bids come in we might only just have a top 20 pick but I'm pleased we do have 3 picks in the first two rounds. By definition that's better than the average of all clubs.

Sam Power can now take a short break. Dom Milesi's turn to step up ... and make this work.

Could we really expect much more than that from an out of contract player coming off an ACL and a declining Jack Macrae on big money with 3 years left and wanting to leave.

It seems reasonable to me .
shhh don't tell that to those currently wanting the place burned down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% this, people rob the situation of all context to get shitty about it.

Both Macrae and Daniel were fringe this year and that didn’t look like changing. Literally why they wanted to go. Macrae has a very high salary which goes into that pick return (people like to ignore that part).

We had little to no leverage with Smith. The real issue is we should have dropped him last year.

We came in with no draft hand, we now have options. I’m taking the positive every time.

Kennedy on 2024 output is like for like with Macrae.

We got a good deal for Daniel as we were happier to keep him. Ignore the AA years ago that required a very specific role to work. He’s short and needs to be the most creative playmaker in the side to thrive. He didn’t have it. He’s out.

I think people are fixating on past successes without considering we got the most advantageous deals possible with what we had (contrast that with WCE and the Owies deal).

Nailed it. It's not 2016 anymore, 2021 was a while ago.

They will forever be greats, but sometimes you just have to move on.

The reaction in hear screams of people desperate to be angry at something. The way of the modern world.

We were always in ****town with Geelong negotiations.

When they land on the ladder as high as they do and a player is out of contract then not much Sammy can do in that instance.

Our growth comes from what we have on the list. Players just outside the 22 like Sanders, Buss, Garcia, Gallagher, Jones/Clarke, Croft etc is where we can get natural growth and move on some players who are holding us back.

We can land a couple of Freijah level picks with our first 2 picks then we will be fine.

Gee we must have a lot of cap space now. Time to front load some contracts.

I really think we weren’t too upset about Smith going. If you consider we only offered him two years, and his social media post about there being two sides to each story etc. If Bont doesn’t want anything to do with him, that’s good enough for me.

I’m happy with the trade period. Smith went for exactly what I predicted 17 and a pick swap and to be honest that’s all he is worth. Daniel and Macrae were struggling with the modern turnover game as they lacked pace on the rebound. Good luck to them but not what we need. Don’t know enough about Kennedy can only assume the big body appealed, yet for mind he is slow. Yet let’s hope it works.

That being said, the fact that we're not so underhanded in these sort of tactics does serve its benefits, it provides a good relationship with other clubs, other players and their managers, and helps us in some other recruits, too.
God I wish I lived in this imaginary world you live in.
I’m interested to know what people think Power could have done? Smith was OOC and chose a club with no trade assets. You can’t hold a gun to their head and force them to find another pick. The only other option was losing him for nothing. You never know, with pick trading still allowed until November, we may be able to package up 17 and 25 to move up a bit.

He could stop talking tough to the media every trade week and get deals done earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back