Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be hating on Sam Power. As usual, he and the club acted with integrity, which is more than we can say for some others.

We can hate Geelong, because they are media darlings and seem to get away with blue murder every year.

We can hate certain people in the AFL media, because they are petty, grudge-holding, hypocritical grubs who manage to do the impossible by giving journalism an even worse name than it already has.

We can hate the AFL and its so-called Integrity Unit, who can shoot the usual fish in a bucket when drunken bogans do stupid things on Wacky Wednesdays but won't go near the endemic, white collar rorting that compromises the competition year upon year.

But be proud of our club. We never get to play with a full deck, and yet we remain viable, competitive and reasonably successful in the modern era.

By the way, I think that Matt Kennedy will prove to be one of our better recruits in recent times. Very pleased that he has come to us.

We clearly played better football over the course of the year when we went from giving Macrae small but still some centre bounce rotations to zero.

And holding firm - whole I agree that we were generally somewhat aggressive, the trade was done with 8 minutes to go. Any holding and we would have risked no trade going through.

Need to have been prepared for the trades to not go through, and the consequences.

Then Geelong and other clubs would know that next time we are dealing with them, and we take a strong position, that we are prepared to hold our ground.

Don't be hating on Sam Power. As usual, he and the club acted with integrity, which is more than we can say for some others.

We can hate Geelong, because they are media darlings and seem to get away with blue murder every year.

We can hate certain people in the AFL media, because they are petty, grudge-holding, hypocritical grubs who manage to do the impossible by giving journalism an even worse name than it already has.

We can hate the AFL and its so-called Integrity Unit, who can shoot the usual fish in a bucket when drunken bogans do stupid things on Wacky Wednesdays but won't go near the endemic, white collar rorting that compromises the competition year upon year.

But be proud of our club. We never get to play with a full deck, and yet we remain viable, competitive and reasonably successful in the modern era.

By the way, I think that Matt Kennedy will prove to be one of our better recruits in recent times. Very pleased that he has come to us.
One thing we have done well for a long time is develop our own star players.

I’m very comfortable doing that and recruiting players for needs from elsewhere at a fair price, as we have done with Treloar, Keath, Duryea etc.

The fastest way to get into cap trouble is making godfather offers to lure top end talent. It’s much easier and more cost effective to retain stars than recruit them.

How? As a contracted player, Smith could refuse any trade. If the rumour that we actually asked him last year if he was interested in going, is true, and he said he wasn’t and was in it for the long haul- what would you have done? Between the ACL injury and the likely whisper deal with Geelong/CottonOn, we couldn’t do jack s**t. The AFL/AFLPA allowed this mess by setting the rules the way they have. Again, you cannot trade a contracted player without their say so.
I'm amazed that we are this far down the track and people still need this stuff explained to them.

Some of it is self inflicted though. We refuse to engage the contacted players in season, which makes it hard to recruit. Smiths manager said Dangerfield was a big driver of getting him to Geelong and John Noble said he decided to go to the Suns after a mid season meeting with Hardwick. We’ll need to adapt if we want to be competitive.

On Instagram, I find it extremely telling the stark difference between the outpour of Likes the Macrae and Daniel farewell post’s got. And the shocking lack of Likes from the playing list for Smith

The only notable player to like the post is Josh Bruce. A man who has been out of this Football club for years now. And probably plays the 2021 Season over in his head before he sleeps.

It genuinely seems like the whole playing group, has an at best rocky relationship with him. So fulfilling his wish and letting him go may be great culture wise

I know I’m grasping at straws. But You observe what you can as a Supporter looking in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sounds a lot like draft day. Where the team mates didn’t go to a star’s birthday they were going to recruit.

If Smith were a FA we would have received pick 14. So would have been nice to get more but its not the end of the world..

I get that we didn’t need to trade them but Macrae and Daniel were basically salary dumps of large contracts for players that had become non-critical over a couple of years.

Daniel spent 2/3 of the season in VFL or being subbed in or out and we got pick 25 for him. With that large contract. I think that’s an incredible result.

Pose the question if at the of 2025 season it is proven 3 tall forwards do not work especially in finals do we move on one of them whilst in contract. It is not Sam, so it is either Jamarra or Astro. Do not want to lose either but if JUH gets to the end of his contract and we lose him for what we got for Bailey Smith I will do a Terry Wallace and spew up. The tigers just got 2 first round picks for in contract players.

Sad times for the club.

Rebuild officially begun?

Hopefully the media stop harping on about our list now.

The exact opposite my friend, exciting times!!!

Remember when we lost Griffen and Cooney. I said at the time it was the best thing to happen to the club as a guy name Bont and Macrae were ready to say its my time to shine. People leaving creates opportunities. Look out for Sanders and Friejah to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People seem to have severely inflated the value of draft picks recently. They are always hit and miss.

Smith is a proven performer, in his prime, and definitely worth our asking price. We should have held fast.

In order to gain credibility at the trade table you need to be prepared to walk away from bad deals. We don't know how to say 'no' and stick to it!

That is why we get low-balled year after year.
So getting nothing instead of pick 17 and a second round upgrade is a better deal??

Need to have been prepared for the trades to not go through, and the consequences.

Then Geelong and other clubs would know that next time we are dealing with them, and we take a strong position, that we are prepared to hold our ground.

The club never said it would force him to go into the draft though. I doubt they would have even entertained that for a bloke they only offered 2 years to and seemed to actually be fine with leaving.

Smith wasn’t getting picked by any other team in the drafts because he’s got a lot of off field baggage and a busted knee.

The exact opposite my friend, exciting times!!!

Remember when we lost Griffen and Cooney. I said at the time it was the best thing to happen to the club as a guy name Bont and Macrae were ready to say its my time to shine. People leaving creates opportunities. Look out for Sanders and Friejah to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm excited to see Buss start his journey. I was really happy with his VFL progress and think he'll be very good in time.

Re: Smith

Maybe it will be another player that we traded away that goes to a new club & destroys their culture.....

I think a lot of Geelong people don't see the potential downside of Smith.
He is a self obsessed narcissist with a good PR team that make it seem like he is professional because he can run and has abs like 90% of AFL players,

His last game for us he couldn't hit a target to save his life yet after the game he went out like a show pony for the cameras and did some extra running as if that was his issue

About as good as Sam could do to clean up the mess left by Bevo and the disconnect with list management.

Smith's attitude may have opened the door to leave but Bevo made sure of it by playing him out of position prior to his knee and not managing the midfield rotations. He was stuck at half forward after tearing it up mid and on the wing. We discussed this every week in autopsy threads. The time was last year, no doubt the club knew shit was going on, everyone else did. Along with others, this time last year i posted people at Cotton On knew it would happen eventually. The time was then.

Bev changing the roles of Macrae and Daniel this year, which was fair enough. But Macrae has never been able to play other positions and this should have been obvious to Bev and communicated to Power to explore trading last year. Knowing a rough year not in his preferred position would see his value drop. Similar with Daniel, the time was then.

Now with Kennedy ear marked for that half forward mid role. Doesn't look like Bev will be changing much

Imagine trying to be Power?

We should have shipped Macrae and Daniel off 12 months ago? The melts in here would have been the same, probably worse. Would we have gotten more for them then? No guarantees at all.

Macrae is 31 next year, Daniel 29. Who do people think we're trading? Both players have limitations, both were great at their best, but that best has long gone.

FWIW Stringer who kicked 40 plus goals this year was traded for 53 and as we know Stringer and Macrae were drafted together.

Smith was a spoilt brat. Sometimes in a team you suck it up and just play your role. But no, he wanted everything on his terms and still does. Good luck with that at Geelong champ, doubt Scott will put up with his s***

Last edited:
Re: Smith

Maybe it will be another player that we traded away that goes to a new club & destroys their culture.....

I think a lot of Geelong people don't see the potential downside of Smith.
When was the last time we traded away a player and it genuinely hurt our club? Dunkley is only one that comes to mind. There's a long list that didn't though - Stringer, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Cordy etc.

When was the last time we traded away a player and it genuinely hurt our club? Dunkley is only one that comes to mind. There's a long list that didn't though - Stringer, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Cordy etc.
I wouldn't even say Dunkley has either,

He hasn't improved at Brisbane as a player and is still just tagging like he was with us

Dunkley was competing with Libba for a spot. Yes Dunkley hurt but we had a ready replacement who was arguably ahead of him anyway.

I would have loved to have kept Hamling.

The only f*** up is not moving Smith on last year. Thats it. But again, it's our club being too trusting when we were dealing with a grub, a little self obsessed, snide, two timing worm. That's our only mistake.

We all know Geelong diddle with trades and manipulate the system, but the AFL have no appetite or are too cowardly to do anything, so we have to be ruthless. If a player is a chance to leave we get rid of them while under contract.
We can't trade him against his will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back