Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Like others have said we would have pick 14 if Smith left as a RFA. Another way of looking at it is say we beat Geelong in Gather Round, we finish top 4, they maybe bomb out to the Hawks and voila we get pick 14 in a trade.

Regarding the contract situation for Smith its a tough one. Our 2 year offer to him, which would have taken him through to RFA was the right move, even if he doesn't do an ACL. Zak Butters signed a 2 year extension to take him through to 2026, if its good enough for him its good enoug for Smith.

It is the right move for all parties that he is gone, just stings that our nemesis the Cats swoop in to get him, but all goof things must come to an end, even for them.

Long term, yes.

What happens in 2026 when JUH is out of contract and Geelong have just won another flag, convince JUH to request a trade and only offer pick 18?
Hasn't assisted the Saints making Ball walk to the draft.

Naïve to think this actually has any impact in future years, we miss out on a first round pick.

Even if Smith was a restricted Free agent the best we could have hoped for was pick 14.

Get the best quality new talent in to replace who is leaving

Super consistent, non-injury prone, premiership player, best and fairest winner, with plenty left in the tank swapped for a 2nd round draft pick.

Immediately a good deal for North.

For us, we need to try our best to pick well and then cross our fingers for a few years.
Past achievements mean nothing for future performance.

Caleb was a fringe player all season. His prime trait (his disposal) has fallen off a cliff. He'd have maybe 20-30 games left in him in our side. To get a 2nd rounder who could potentially play 200 games for the club is robbery. Absolute no brainer.

But the point is, to say we get low balled consistently is ridiculous. We win some and we lose some - mostly depending on circumstances out of our control. Same as any other club.

Just typical loser, woe is us mentality to think we're consistently reamed.

Given the supposed evenness and quality of this years draft I’m wondering if Power has his eye on one of Richmond’s firsts with our F1. Or an upgrade from 17 by using a F2.

We will probably need a lot of draft assets in 2025 so maybe not.

But of course we could just keep doing what we’ve done - keep borrowing from a future year. No reason we couldn’t do that every year. Happens in the financial world all the time.
We may trade 2026 assets into 2025 because of father sons in 2026

It would be interesting to calculate the current likelihood of pick 25 yielding an AFL Club B&F winner, but I'd be happy to bet that it is pretty low.
Way more likely than Daniel winning another Charlie.

If u guys get Butters to agree to request a trade to the Dogs, you guys do realise how much it will cost you.

How many future firsts do u guys have?
Look mate, your on the wrong board.

Dogs and Geelong are both in Butters ear. What I can tell you as of this morning, coming from one of our own BF insiders and my own player managed source:

-Port are tabling one of the biggest contracts for Butters in the hopes of keeping him.
-Geelong have spoken to him and his management several times now, recruiters have reached out to him directly.
-Dogs have had one sit down with his management and outlined a potential deal in terms of money and years.

The good (and bad) thing about the Dogs is we don’t go talking to players directly until it’s ticked off by their management, this is why we lost Barass this year - Bevo refuses to meet with oppo players during the season, unlike Hawks who’ll fly Sam Mitchell out midweek to meet with players, some call it respect, others weakness, it’s been debated on this board to no end.

If you’re upset at Dogs fans “pie in the sky” talk of a potential Butters trade, go to the Geelong board -their club is chasing him infinitely harder than we are right now.

2021 English will never happen again until we also get a ruck like 2021 Stefan Martin.

Agreed. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like he's too far into his career to suddenly have a substantive increase in his aggression/physicality in the ruck contests. His best footy was played as a 3rd KPF/2nd ruck and Darcy will be locked into that role for a while now you'd think.

Not to turn this into an anti-English thread, but for all the teeth-gnashing over the past couple of trade and draft periods maybe the worst decision we made was not to move English on to the west (if there was an opportunity to do that) instead of paying him presumably fairly well even though he can't be relied on in big games. My guess is I'm not the only one looking at how Sweet performed towards the end of the season with some regret, even though he obviously isn't an elite ruck.

Our finals performance was poor but we did show significant improvement year on year, being more than competitive against 3 of the teams that finished in the top 4 (ie we beat them). 2022 and 2023 we struggled badly against the top 4

From that finals performance we massively lacked strength around the stoppage, which we have addressed through the trade immediately with Kennedy and will be looking for internal development to support this area.

We upgraded our draft hand to address speed, and skill for smaller and medium players to support our talls.

Overall there should be some optimism coming in to 2025.

Our biggest position to fill now is replacing Maddocks to ensure we do not loose focus or not have enough resources to continue with the internal development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, take a look at these photos of Butters and Houston from the 2021 PF and see if you can tell them apart

View attachment 2145422

View attachment 2145422
Animated GIF

Look mate, your on the wrong board.

Dogs and Geelong are both in Butters ear. What I can tell you as of this morning, coming from one of our own BF insiders and my own player managed source:

-Port are tabling one of the biggest contracts for Butters in the hopes of keeping him.
-Geelong have spoken to him and his management several times now, recruiters have reached out to him directly.
-Dogs have had one sit down with his management and outlined a potential deal in terms of money and years.

The good (and bad) thing about the Dogs is we don’t go talking to players directly until it’s ticked off by their management, this is why we lost Barass this year - Bevo refuses to meet with oppo players during the season, unlike Hawks who’ll fly Sam Mitchell out midweek to meet with players, some call it respect, others weakness, it’s been debated on this board to no end.

If you’re upset at Dogs fans “pie in the sky” talk of a potential Butters trade, go to the Geelong board -their club is chasing him infinitely harder than we are right now.
Geelong with their bottomless cap, Cotton On, and free farms

Not doubting your mail but how can we trade in Butters next year if we trade out our first rounder to move up this year? He’ll still be in contract, we’re going to need those first rounders
Yeah i thought he would be free agent when I said that, would he be restricted agent?

Having two years of futures to trade will help but yeah, if needing to trade we would probably need to hold our first. We were willing to give it to Gold Coast for 13 so surely still willing to do it for 14 with Richmond

Connors on SEN this morning:
“you wouldn’t want to threaten Sammy Power, i tell you that, he would laugh at you”.
That explains Connors's appearing exasperated at Mackie late yesterday and Geelong's subsequent offer to upgrade a second-round pick to enable us to get Kennedy. Connors was probably convinced that we would have let Smith go to the draft if we felt Geelong was not being reasonable. It wasn't a lot extra that Geelong gave up but it was the difference that enabled us to land Kennedy.

I don't think we need to entertain the thought of Zak Butters heading to the club. We'll be paying overs, probably the house to be frank. We can't do a Geelong and offer pick 17 next year and call it day. He's actually more likely to go to the cattery

Caleb was a fringe player all season. His prime trait (his disposal) has fallen off a cliff. He'd have maybe 20-30 games left in him in our side. To get a 2nd rounder who could potentially play 200 games for the club is robbery. Absolute no brainer.

But the point is, to say we get low balled consistently is ridiculous. We win some and we lose some - mostly depending on circumstances out of our control. Same as any other club.

Just typical loser, woe is us mentality to think we're consistently reamed.
Yeah the Treloar, Keath, Lobb and Bruce deals all ranged from fair to robbery by us.

Dunkley we probably got unders for but it wasn’t severe. Still the equivalent of two late first rounders. We haven’t don’t too badly in the last five or six years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back