Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Daniel said he wouldn't leave without a good deal for the Dogs. ie he was more happy to stay than Macrae was.
It was also out of respect to Macrae that we accommodate his request. Both Caleb and Macca left the club with dignity and respect, we ****ed up massively recruiting Smith he just never fitted in our culture.

If we start off the season strongly as a team & JUH is in good form, we need to offer him a nice juicy long term extension to remain at the club.

If he then spends the next few months refusing to sign it then we need to see the writing on the wall and take action before next years trade period.

We also talked to Tom Boyd and met with him and his agent well before he was traded to us. The Griffen saga/opportunity brought that possible trade to fruition a year earlier than initially planned.

It seems that our coach won't meet with players during the season, but we, as a club, certainly do.
As an example Melbourne were in Schache’s ear for two years before he decided to move, a close family member told me.

But wouldn’t interest and ballpark offers be directed to their agent, and if the interest is reciprocated a meeting with people from the club, including players?

It was also out of respect to Macrae that we accommodate his request. Both Caleb and Macca left the club with dignity and respect, we ****ed up massively recruiting Smith he just never fitted in our culture.
He changed as a person after he got drafted I believe. The AFL lifestyle just changed him from the hard working humble person to a rockstar fake.

On SEN between 9 and 10 this morning the host interviewed the St Kilda General Manager Recruiting (?) about the Macrae deal. He said that they started talking to Macrae “ a couple of months out”.
So it’s seems that we might be the only ones who have this “ not talking to contacted players in season” rule. Puts us a bit behind in negotiations but at least we still have our honour I guess. Not a bad thing but …..
I think this has been misconstrued.

Bevo tends not to talk with opposition players during the year, not confirmed but what the poster said.

Our recruitment team absolutely does

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't think there was anything indication that Sniff would turn into this me, me, me primadonna during his draft year was there? By all accounts was just a super hard worker, didn't drink I think due to religious reasons? (could be way off on that one). Only noise around him was the fact he didn't want to go interstate, when he got drafted said he was rapt to be a Dog etc... Anyway stuff him.

Guarantee we won’t play them at Marvel. It’ll be in Geelong on a wet Friday night
I’ll bet anything we play them twice next year (as usual 🙄). AFL couldn’t resist that.
With the extra home game they’ve got they’re saying even one of the “big” Vic clubs might have to play there for a change.

On SEN between 9 and 10 this morning the host interviewed the St Kilda General Manager Recruiting (?) about the Macrae deal. He said that they started talking to Macrae “ a couple of months out”.
So it’s seems that we might be the only ones who have this “ not talking to contacted players in season” rule. Puts us a bit behind in negotiations but at least we still have our honour I guess. Not a bad thing but …..

He also said they spoke because of his relationship with Simon Dalrymple.

Don't think there was anything indication that Sniff would turn into this me, me, me primadonna during his draft year was there? By all accounts was just a super hard worker, didn't drink I think due to religious reasons? (could be way off on that one). Only noise around him was the fact he didn't want to go interstate, when he got drafted said he was rapt to be a Dog etc... Anyway stuff him.
Didn't drink then to be as prepared as possible,

Really changed after the hubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an example Melbourne were in Schache’s ear for two years before he decided to move, a close family member told me.

But wouldn’t interest and ballpark offers be directed to their agent, and if the interest is reciprocated a meeting with people from the club, including players?
Tom Boyd said on the Trade Week podcast 5 days ago that he and his agent met during the 2014 season (on the weekend of the second bye that year) in Melbourne with staff and board representatives of the Bulldogs. They discussed a trade to the Bulldogs at the end of 2015 on terms similar to the deal that eventuated a couple of months later. The Griffen saga at the end of the 2014 season opened the door for the trade of Boyd to the Bulldogs to happen a year earlier than anyone anticipated.

We absolutely do talk to players of other teams during the season; however, most of the discussion and almost certainly the initial approach will involve the player's agent and the club's footy department rather than the player directly.

I think the only red flag (if the rumor is to be believed) was that he wasn't willing to move interstate, which look, I get there are other factors, but that comes across to me as a little bit entitled.

My Carlton supporting mates all seem pretty flat to lose Kennedy. They say he’s only real weakness is pace, which sucks for us. Basically said he was to them what Dunkley was to us.

Plenty of speedy wingers in the draft no doubt. Much harder to teach and instil toughness.

I just want him to put Sniff and his hair into Row C next year.

Last edited:
Interesting Paul Connors comments about Sam Power re the haters.. “But he was contracted so (the Dogs) held the aces. Sam Power is very good at what he does.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t understand how Daniel went for so much more than Macrae. Macrae is the far superior player, he will be StKilda’s best midfielder immediately
I wouldn't say miles superior. Both have had good careers, and both achieved some highs with us. There isn't much between them.

Daniel was worth more, because he is a few years younger, likely on a smaller wage, and also more versatile position wise. Likely still has 5 years of solid football left in him. Macrae is a pure inside mid, and doesn't play well as a forward, and lacks the pace defensively and for wing. His wage is probably the bigger reason we let him go for much less as well. Would have had to pay a bit of it ourselves, for the Saints to part with a better pick.

Humble kid from a good family, a church goer even after being drafted ("I still go when I can"), stoked to be at the club.

Having had a chat with him just prior to his first pre-season game, I came away thinking we'd struck gold with such a well balanced, hard working young fella.

🙁

With a bit of cap space left. I really hope the club restructures some contracts, especially the big ones, so we can front load a lot of it for next season. We should have a decent amount of cap space to target a couple of decent players the next two windows. But by taking advantage of the savings next season, and front paying some, it will free us from having as much cap pressure in 5-6 years time.

Humble kid from a good family, a church goer even after being drafted ("I still go when I can"), stoked to be at the club.

Having had a chat with him just prior to his first pre-season game, I came away thinking we'd struck gold with such a well balanced, hard working young fella.

🙁

Amazing what happens when people drink their own bathwater and get caught up in their own bull**** and 'indulge' off the field.

Jack “better than Libba” Bytel has been delisted

End of an era

That Bytel stuff was a while ago and your account is a month old.

Fess up, what was your old account? 😅

I think how we did with the trades we completed this year, and our overall list management direction, are kind of two very different conversations.

I don’t think we could got much more with the players we traded out. We had leverage with Caleb and did well, we had none with Baz and kind of copped it. Just how it goes. That’s all fine. Don’t think Power could have gotten more considering.

There have been some doubts here shared about the shape of our list, our weaknesses, and what we have and haven’t addressed. Which I do tend to agree with.

It does put a lot of pressure on this draft, as well as internal development. Neither of which are sure things by any means. We find ourselves possibly in a situation where we will feel pressured to draft for need to address issues we have failed to fix in the last few trade periods. Also fraught with danger if you start drafting like that. We may be faced with best available players that could be key forwards or inside mids, who knows. We may be gifted a pacey, classy HF that plays every game at 17 or 25 too.

Yes it could be a DFA. People will point to Bramble, but that’s a fair outlier, and he has to back it up in 2025 where teams will plan around him more. Hence the one year extension.

I don’t think it’s doom and gloom. Just some doubts about what we’re doing in this particular, wide open era. And it runs a bit counter to what other teams around us are doing, although it has to be conceded that we will always get our A and B graders through the draft as opposed to getting such talents to nominate us. So getting good draft picks is important.

And as close as we were to finishing top 4, we were just as close to missing the 8 altogether. I think Kennedy will be good, but if you subscribe to the talk all year about how slow we are as a side, particularly in the midfield…So near-certain, even marginal improvements to our fringe/last picked players would have been very reassuring acquisitions.

I think we’re faced with a lot more uncertainty regarding if we trend up or down next season than the hawks, pies and dockers around us, who were all very aggressive and almost definitely improved, most would think. Sanders and Buss are two young talents that may work their way into the side, and may make us better - they also don’t fix many of our perceived weaknesses, at least based on how we play, if we’re insisting on certain kinds of players in those last picked spots. Could be some changes to our side and strategy next season, though.

What is in our favour undoubtedly is having a Darcy + Bont combo which raises our floor significantly. If they play the season we definitely won’t bottom out or anything. Helps having a couple of generational freaks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back