Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I right that if we want to take 4 players in the draft we need to delist both Keath and Clarke?
OUT: O'Driscoll, Bedendo, Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Rypstra (rookie)
IN: Kennedy
TBD (unsigned): Clarke, Keath

Our list balance is currently 33 main list + 5 Cat A rookies (Duryea, Baker, Bramble, Poulter, McNeil) + 1 Cat B rookie (O'Donnell). The list rules are 36-38 main list, 4-6 Cat A rookies (to a combined 42 players), and 0-2 Cat B rookies.

Based on that, we have a total of 4 main/Cat A rookie spots to fill, which can come from 3-4 main list + 0-1 Cat A rookies - assuming no rookie upgrades have occured. We also have an available Cat B rookie position open. There is no specific requirement for any of our rookies to be upgraded as none are passing the 3 year mark this season.

We don't need to delist either Clarke or Keath to take 4 players in the draft.

I don't think we need to entertain the thought of Zak Butters heading to the club. We'll be paying overs, probably the house to be frank. We can't do a Geelong and offer pick 17 next year and call it day. He's actually more likely to go to the cattery
On 450k a year….for the lifestyle…..it’s ****ing Geelong people not the Sunshine Coast

Apologies to all Geelong residents here but you get my point

On the contrary,
Past performance is the most effective predictor of future performance.

Whoever we get with pick 25 could very well play 200 games but the likelihood of them playing less than 20 games is a lot larger.

Caleb’s chances of playing a significant number of high quality games for North before he retires are substantially higher than that produced by an average AFL pick 25 player.

The old saying of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush comes to mind.

Unfortunately AFL group think seems to have list managers (and some fans) acting like the ratio is the other way around.
So we keep Caleb until,he retires and then we still have to use Pick 25 to get a speculator…although our pick would prob be a lot lower as we will certainly be in the bottom 4

Could do far far worse as depth. He still plays great footy as a 3rd tall interceptor and can pinch hit on a wing.
It would be a massive waste of a list spot. Keath isn’t needed either.

Lobb & Jones as the two main key defenders with depth in JOD, Busslinger, Buku & Gardner (shudder) is plenty. There’s other options if required but that would signify a monumental injury crisis.

Ok let's take the average then. Pick 25 on average plays 69 games, that's more than what Daniel would play for us.

What he does at North is irrelevant to us.
As long as he doesn’t beat us and cost us a finals spot…thats relevant 😜

Tot
Imagine trying to be Power?

We should have shipped Macrae and Daniel off 12 months ago? The melts in here would have been the same, probably worse. Would we have gotten more for them then? No guarantees at all.

Macrae is 31 next year, Daniel 29. Who do people think we're trading? Both players have limitations, both were great at their best, but that best has long gone.

FWIW Stringer who kicked 40 plus goals this year was traded for 53 and as we know Stringer and Macrae were drafted together.

Smith was a spoilt brat. Sometimes in a team you suck it up and just play your role. But no, he wanted everything on his terms and still does. Good luck with that at Geelong champ, doubt Scott will put up with his s***
Totally agree. McRae became slow and in some games he looked disinterested. Caleb was exposed due to height and speed. Footy is a cruel game. I thank them both for all the happiness they gave me. But good list management is not about memories and nostalgic mental masturbation. It’s about adapting to new styles of play. In regard to BSniff: you are a total narcissistic twatt. Good riddance. Greetings to all my big footy mates from Zhangjiang, China!!! GO DOGS!!!

I like Battle and Barrass for the Hawks, their talls weren’t much chop and they relied a lot on other areas. They fixed a glaring weakness in their side with a couple of proven contributors. Might move the needle for them to get top 4 if they can back it up, weren’t far off it in the end like us.

Not to say they got two flat out stars in their prime and they paid a premium but I’m okay with that if you’re having a genuine flag tilt in a wide open era.
Except they won5 have the cushy draw next year

Don't you EVER apologise to Geelong residents. They're in that festering shithole for any number of reasons that would be completely of their own doing. No one to blame but themselves.

Humble kid from a good family, a church goer even after being drafted ("I still go when I can"), stoked to be at the club.

Having had a chat with him just prior to his first pre-season game, I came away thinking we'd struck gold with such a well balanced, hard working young fella.

🙁
As a club I think we market and promote (or monetise even?) too much the individual younger players. It often backfires for the individual and the club. Smith is a case in point. I think it’s sad he wanted to leave but good luck to him. Pity it’s Geelong..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of Matthew Lloyd's comments about all these quality players .. dunkey, Smith, Macrae , Daniel ….all wanting to leave because they were played out of position!
(Sorry if I missed that discussion already.)

On 450k a year….for the lifestyle…..it’s ****ing Geelong people not the Sunshine Coast

Tbf all the coastal towns near Geelong are pretty great, Geelong itself is a bit meh but I get the appeal.

We'd be trading multiple picks, the highest of highs. I mean if we bend someone over for JUH for overs, maybe we can entertain it. But knowing what we need to bring in once a few of our older brigade go, I'd rather keep the picks over the coming years at this stage.

A mini reset with a fresh midfield isn't the worst thing, but it won't happen if we bring in a superstar like Butters.

Right, but that search for 'purpose and fulfilment' can only happen at one other club, right? 😉

What self serving carefully crafted PR drivel.

This is an individual that played us and the club for fools. Absolute fools.

Let's hope he's right and the truth really does come out one day...

View attachment 2145873

Written by Baz, a PR intern, or ChatGPT, who can say. Take out of it what we will.

Last edited:
I know I commented on it but I just don't care how it pans out for him tbh.

The only thing I really care about is how our team melds and surges from this point on.

His mental health ... journey .... story ... could not give a faark.

Is that wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back